What does Spirit mean?

Masque

Question

I know it's defined in the Rules Manual and I know there have been several post Rules Manual threads clarifying several points of the Spirit rule but I'm still a little unsure of a few things. Is there any chance of getting a complete rewrite of the rule all in one thread? If so, here are some things that need to be addressed in addition to the wording in the Rules Manual:

1. Stopping on Impassable terrain is allowed but stopping inside Impassable terrain is not.

2. Spirits ignore Severe terrain.

3. Spirits ignore Hazardous terrain. (assuming they do)

4. Other models may move through Spirits. (assuming they can)

5. Inflicting damage comes before suffering damage so things like Critical Strike are added before halving damage. (In the Rules Manual these seem like the same step so division would come before addition.)

A couple of side questions came to mind while writing that list:

If a Spirit has Flight can it stop in Impassable terrain or not? Spirit says it can but Flight says it can't and can't usually wins in these cases but that seems odd here.

If a Spirit has Armor, incoming damage is halved then subtracted from since those both apply during suffer damage, right?

6 answers to this question

I know it's defined in the Rules Manual and I know there have been several post Rules Manual threads clarifying several points of the Spirit rule but I'm still a little unsure of a few things. Is there any chance of getting a complete rewrite of the rule all in one thread? If so, here are some things that need to be addressed in addition to the wording in the Rules Manual:

1. Stopping on Impassable terrain is allowed but stopping inside Impassable terrain is not.

2. Spirits ignore Severe terrain.

3. Spirits ignore Hazardous terrain. (assuming they do)

4. Other models may move through Spirits. (assuming they can)

5. Inflicting damage comes before suffering damage so things like Critical Strike are added before halving damage. (In the Rules Manual these seem like the same step so division would come before addition.)

A couple of side questions came to mind while writing that list:

If a Spirit has Flight can it stop in Impassable terrain or not? Spirit says it can but Flight says it can't and can't usually wins in these cases but that seems odd here.

If a Spirit has Armor, incoming damage is halved then subtracted from since those both apply during suffer damage, right?

a spirit is the unique thing the model has. and flight is an ability, so i would say the spirit will overrule the flight in case of impassible terrain.

always: first the halving and then the substactions. so a spirit with armor 2+ can take a 6 dg hit and suffers only 1 wd

1-3 are answered here... http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showpost.php?p=231353&postcount=55

4 Yes, pass through works both ways

5 Critical Strike is added when determining total Dg applied, not when determining Wds which is when the Dg is halved

Flying does not override Spirit, the rule that says flying models can't end a movement in impassable terrain is more a reminder that although they can move through it, they have to be able to clear the impassable terrain, all or nothing.

You are correct, order of operations says you halve first and then subtract for armor (note this is done while determining Wds, not Dg, see crit strike answer above)

No, why would it. nether effect lets it do so, so why would both effects togther let the model do so?

Not sure on this one, i think armour comes first then spirit, but i would wait for a rules marshel for a definate answer

Edited by Sliver Chocobo

Not sure on this one, i think armour comes first then spirit, but i would wait for a rules marshel for a definate answer

It has been answered several times, I think a quick search would give results pretty easily.

Normal order of operations, so multiplication/division before the subtraction from armor,

No, why would it. nether effect lets it do so, so why would both effects togther let the model do so?

I think he meant on rather then in.

With all these yeses and nos in the rules you have to try and make logical difference between allowance and restriction. Flight doesn't allow you to do so but it doesn't deny it either. Spirit allows you so yes, you can.