Paint Talk! with EricJ

EricJ

Hey i can just give you a good flesh recipe. Tan flesh -> dwarf flesh -> elf flesh. To get the burned areas you can either pink out the tan flesh or use dark flesh. Just a gradual build up of those three colors will give you a nice flesh tone. Or you can just do a real dark to light flesh tone fade from dark flesh to elf flesh.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Define tights. Like stockings? Or more opaque tights?

My method for stockings (learned in this very thread, no less): Paint the underlying flesh tones, including shading and highlighting. Then lightly glaze the stocking color over the flesh tones. I used a thinned Badab Black for black stockings on my Hollow Waifs. Multiple coats to taste (I only needed two to get the opacity I wanted).

Ruffles: I'd use a base of Ultramarine Blue highlighted up to Ice Blue. Or for a lighter ruffle start with Ice Blue and highlight up to Space Wolf Grey.

For pink ruffles, I'd start with Warlock Purple highlighting up to Tentacle Pink. Or for a lighter color Tentacle Pink highlighted up to Skull White. (I personally use Tentacle Pink highlighted up to P3's Carnal Pink or Ice Blue highlighted up to P3's Frostbite.)

My question to the thread: I'm working on my Stolen, and the little girl is apparently holding a mirror. How do I make a mirrored effect (preferably using metallics; but if it's not possible with metallics, anything will work)?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Edited by dsmiles

• 4 weeks later...
HALP!

Anyone have ideas for necrotic flesh on the Rogue Necromancy?

I did a basecoat of a kind of medium grey, and did a wash of thraka green mixed with badab black over it. did some splotchy drops of more thraka green throughout the models. I then mixed the grey I had with rotting flesh and white to do a highlight. I think the effect was pretty good

HALP!

Anyone have ideas for necrotic flesh on the Rogue Necromancy?

dead flesh can be fun to do starting from greys, blues, purples then highlighting with a flesh colour works well i tend to highlight from a colour that matches the rest of the model well to keep the same tone across the whole thing.

What brush do you use to paint eyes? I've been painting for a while, and for the life of me, I can't seem to find a even slightly durable brush that isn't bigger than the eye itself. It's infuriating. Thanks Eric!

i have been known to paint eyes with GWs old tank brush just to prove a point. any brush that holds a good point will do it doesnt have to be tiny.

What brush do you use to paint eyes? I've been painting for a while, and for the life of me, I can't seem to find a even slightly durable brush that isn't bigger than the eye itself. It's infuriating. Thanks Eric!
I use anywhere from a 10/0 to a 30/0 brush, depending on the size of the eye. Large brushes and shaky hands tend to disagree with each other.

Wow that's tiny! I've never even seen a 30/0!

I use a size 1 or a 0, good quality kolinsky sable ones that have really nice fine tips. Anything smaller I find means having to go over the areas again and again as the paint rins out or dries on the brush

As for the shaking, I've found that resting my wrists against each other means the model and brush shake together. Hard to see what's going on but it does keep everything stationary relative to each other!

I posted this in a different thread a few days ago,.. but here it is again.

eyes are actually not that hard.

1) flesh color the whole face

2) put white in the eye area (broad stokes are fine at this point)

3) put a small black dot in the middle of the white (colors can be done, but at this scale black works just as well) position each dot so as to make the eye seem to look straight forward (unless you want them looking to one side or the other for some reason) this is important, so they aren't cross-eyed or what have you.

4) (this is the real trick) Now go back to your flesh color. Now, you basically make a small "rainbow" like arc over each eye, centered on the black pupil (if looking forward) this creates the upper eyelid. Then,.. make an upside down rainbow arc underneath each eye, centered on the pupil. (some people find the lower arc harder, so turn the fig upside down for a moment and simply do the upper arc again,.. only underneath the eye)

It may take a few attempts to learn the spacing of the arcs. But the learning curve should be pretty quick.

And that's it,... eyes complete.

Essentially,.. don't try to "paint the eye into the flesh"

Instead,... "paint the flesh around the eye"

Essentially,.. don't try to "paint the eye into the flesh"

Instead,... "paint the flesh around the eye"

A very good tip!

I usually paint in dark flesh-brown where the eye is, then a pale grey rather than a white, then put the pupil in. That gives me a bit of eyelashes too, although the thickness depends on the model. Don't want everyone with big eyelashes!

But touching up the edges to neaten and thin the dark line is quite often easy and useful