Paint Talk! with EricJ

EricJ

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Eric - was curious if you could help me out with painting light skin tones. I'm having trouble with my skins not having enough depth, and was curious if you had a step by step on how to layer and highlight a light skin tone with GW paints? I've tried layering/highlighting with Dwarf Flesh to 1:1 and 1:2 ratios of Skull White/Dwarf Flesh then Elf Flesh then ratios of Elf Flesh and Skull White, etc. but I am having trouble making it look like a smooth transition.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Eric...

Great thread - its got me anxious to paint again and I think there is something basic you can clear up for me since you hand prime with white...

Ive been using game colour white primer and have issues with it pooling in crevices and leaving hints of metal tone through the paint.... it may be I have lousy brush control but I did not always have this problem. I tend to prime with a large brush so maybe that is the issue...

Curious if you could.steer.me right on hand priming

Thanks

Greg

Hi Eric...

ThoughtnI would bring up Golden Artist Fluid Acrylics ... I started using sime of their colours because of the brushthralls and their nmm cryx paintjobs... sometimes they need some thinning like other lines but I have found that with the exception of the greens they have a great.amount of pigment and for 30 ml most colours are the same or less then hobby lines....

Thought Id ask if anyone else.uses them at all.....

My question mimics Irish Rebel. I have been painting for about 7 years now and have always managed to stay away from light flesh tones. Now that I have moved onto you models I find I can not hide any more heh. It is less about the skill set and more about color choices. I have yet to find anything that does not end up looking pinkish or orange. What colors did you use on the Rasputina flesh?

ohhhhh good question!

Hope it is answered before my alternative Raspy arrives. . . .

Yeah that skintone is badass. I don't think I have ever really had to paint any type of skin that hasn't looking daemonic in some way in the 8 years or so I have gone with GW product. Wyrd minis is a nice change, but the whole style of the miniatures has thron me off a bit haha with the exposed skin, color options and size.

My question mimics Irish Rebel. I have been painting for about 7 years now and have always managed to stay away from light flesh tones. Now that I have moved onto you models I find I can not hide any more heh. It is less about the skill set and more about color choices. I have yet to find anything that does not end up looking pinkish or orange. What colors did you use on the Rasputina flesh?

I can recommend a method...a 50/50 mix of Tallarn Flesh and Hormagaunt Purple as your base, then highlight up using Tallarn Flesh, and mix in a very small amount of Skull White for your final highlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I gave up waiting for a response hehe. I used 3 parts Elf Fleshtone with one part Cold Grey. Then I added Elfic Flesh (yes a 3rd color but they are all 3 Vallejo Game Colors) to the original mix in several steps to get the lighter and lighter flesh tones. Worked out well and won my first Malifaux painting contest hehe.

I would like to see more paint articles from Wyrd though. I can only find them in the chronicles and they seem to be old and not the mini's I want to see painted.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know how to paint greyish or blueish flesh to go on my older or more decrepit models

felt like maybe id chime in. I usually start with a shadow grey base abd build up with a mix of a light grey/flesh tone finally highlighting with the fleshtone

experiment with those basic colors till you get what you want though. So much of painting is learning about what colors you want and how they work together. Much of it comes from simply trying something new and failing/succeeding.

• 1 month later...

My preferred method is to paint the skin tone onto the fabric, giving it some of hte necessary shading and highlighting, then to glaze the colour of the fabric over it. Aimed so that where it bunches or pulls away from the skin the fabric colour almost entirely hides the flesh tone, and where it's stretched over the skin it only partly covers the flesh tone.

The other way is to paint the fabric then to go back and glaze the flesh tone over it, but I find that harder to get right.

My preferred method is to paint the skin tone onto the fabric, giving it some of hte necessary shading and highlighting, then to glaze the colour of the fabric over it. Aimed so that where it bunches or pulls away from the skin the fabric colour almost entirely hides the flesh tone, and where it's stretched over the skin it only partly covers the flesh tone.

The other way is to paint the fabric then to go back and glaze the flesh tone over it, but I find that harder to get right.

That first method is what I was going to try. I just wanted some advice. Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...