Paint Talk! with EricJ

EricJ

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chucklemonkey

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-paint-metals-with-printers-ink.html

Though this tutorial covers a metallic technique there's a segment where they show a good visual example of blending. If I were to do blending I would probably map out the shades on my palette, split it into the different sections (shadow, midtone, highlight), apply and while wet mix shadow into the midtone and midtone into the highlight while being careful to keep the paint thin/flat and the transission smooth and consistent. The key is too keep the paint wet, but not runny.

I prefer layering though as I feel it gives me more control and I like to approach my miniature slowly and stage by stage for better precision

Also I believe Testor's is no longer available in the UK. The Army Painter Anti-shine is quite good, but I have had misting issues. I'm very careful to only use it if the weather is good and I've done a test on my sacrificial zombie.

UK supply is very hit and miss. Sometimes it is easy to get hold of, but when stocks run out they seem to run out for a long period of time. This is why I hoarde supplies (down to 12 cans left...).

UK stocks at the moment are very good. You can pickup cans from Firestorm Games, Maelstrom and Antenocities Workshop, just to mention a few.

Not sure how to preface this.

I can see when blending is done on a mini and I have read one or two tutorials on it but I still don't really grasp what the basic technique is.

I'll be fine with practicing just not sure enough on the technique to actually do that.

Not sure if that's even a question.

There are several ways to blend actually, wet blending and layering being the 2 most popular. I learned by reading a ton of articles over at coolminiornot.com where there is a TON. I actually also wrote an article that works for some people (although I don't use this technique anymore), which you can find here:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92

I am getting ready to paint my first minis ever. What are some general things I should know and what are some good resources you can point me toward?

I point a lot of people to the tutorial/articles section on coolminiornot.com, as there are TONs of articles by very skilled people.

There are some general things as well. I always tell people that the first thing they should do is basically paint a LOT. Don't try to get professional results on your first mini, since you never will! The very first skill you need to learn is brush control, or basically being able to put paint exactly where you want it, and only where you want it. This takes development of both skill/technique, as well as fine muscle control, and it's simply something that comes from doing it a lot! So get out your minis, and just put paint on them, focusing just on getting the paint in the right places.

As you get more comfortable putting paint on minis, then you can start thinking about shading and highlighting, and various other effects which will make the minis look even better!

Hey, if you're friends with spacemunkie, you have a great resource to help your painting, I have always really liked his painting!

There are a lot of minis here, so I think I'll start general and see if there is anything that stands out to me specifically as I go.

You have a great sense of color and balance, I think that overall the placement of color, shadows, highlights and accents are very solid and make the minis very easy to look at. Basically there is nothing jarring to the eye, or which pulls the eye away from "seeing" the minis. Really nice work there.

I think overall your blending could use work, and this particularly stands out with the hightlights, which are a bit granular in places, and have rather sudden transitions from the mid-tones of the piece. I think your shading however looks very good throughout.

I've looked over them now several times, and other than the blending of highlights, I don't have a lot of critique to send your way. You're overall composition of the pieces is very good, and I even like your choices in terms of the camo and the pink shirt. Basically it's a great looking group!

We were tipped off by a friend that is a fantastic painter regarding misting issues on sealant. He read that spraying it, and putting it in the fridge helps, immensely. He did it a couple of times and is now sold on it.

I never heard about the fridge thing, very interesting.

I never heard about the fridge thing, very interesting.

Yeah, me either. I called BS initially. He's good though, in fact he painted: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20547 He also doesn't really joke around about this sort of thing.

That tutorial is fantastic, I think it might be one of the better ones I've read on this sort of technique.

I have so much to learn!

Wow, that article Eric... just wow (really got to do some digging on the forum)

So to try and understand something.. say you're painting flesh, using Dwarf Flesh as a midtone, how many colours would you use? Considering you say you don't mix do you just layer the feathered out layers, decreasing the feathered effect each time to build the colour up, using other colours to add tints such as a dark blue in the shadows to cool the area. If I'm understanding it right it makes good sense as I love layering (wet blending eludes me), but maintaining a consistent tonal range in a model when mixing can get complicated especially when those mixes use various colours. However, on the other side, considering you use Citadel and P3 usually, do you find that you are ever limited in the colours you pick.

You also mentioned you use this technique less now, is there a reason and what replaced it.

@Ericj, Spacemunkie now lives on the opposite side of the planet to me. However, we do keep in touch now and again. He has recently picked up the brushes again and as before he is producing some amazing stuff. His happy meal yoda keying repaint is incredible. http://m.flickr.com/photos/spacemunkie/4896854313/in/set-72157605704907650/

Many thanks for the encouraging words regarding my latest paint jobs.

Wow, I am - really - rusty.

I used one of my Lab Rats to just practice the basics again. While I seem to have decent brush control - considering I was using an old GW brush - and... well that's about all I've got so far. I started by using Vallejo brush on primer, thinned with water. I'm still gonna need getting used to that as I found getting decent coverage in the recesses difficult. Then I Applied all my basecoats at once, with some slightly thinned Foundation paints. They provide great coverage, but their pigments are so large that they are difficult to get a thin coat with. I applied some washes using citadel colours and washes, plus a bit of highlighting. I gave up soon after as I was getting the undesired drying effect from whatever I added water to. Admittedly I was going quickly to just see the effects of the issues 1st hand so I could try and figure out how my set-up needs to change (wet palette wasn't all that useful).

The thing I hate most though is when I'm painting - especially at the priming and basecoat stages - and there is either spots of white showing or bascoat going over the lines. It's the kind of thing you fix as you go, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine.

I think I'll give it my all next time - deciding between Lady J and Santiago as the next victim - now I know what my biggest obstacle is.

Have you got any tips about getting good coverage on the 1st two steps (priming and basceoat)? I think I'll try the "tinting" method, see if I can control the pigment better.

Love your thread here and I've got a couple of questions myself...

I've been painting for around 15 of the last 20 years (with a break before I came back about 2 years ago) and I've just started wanting to try doing monocromatic figures like the Ramos that you had on Cool Mini... Any advise on where to start with doing something like that... IE: Start Dark and move to light... Start Mid ground and shade and highlight etc.

Also when painting a figure where do you generally start... Inner detail to outer detail... block in all colours then move to shades, highlights.

As for Varnishing I'd have to agree with Ratty. For the strength I was taught early on to put 2 coats of Gloss for strength with a final Dullcote to get rid of the gloss finish.

• 4 weeks later...

So it's gone a little quiet in here, I wonder if that ties into a little subject that hits most painters fairly often. How do you keep yourself motivated to keep painting and not hit those slumps where you just find you can't be bothered, or you're just too busy?

When I used to teach people how to paint, I always spent quite a while on teaching them how to load the brush with paint. I find a lot of the issues people have are caused by too much or too little paint on the brush and not having the right amount of water in the mix. Not to mention using the wrong brush. The number of people that seem to think to be precise you need a 000000000 brush, and don't realise that when your painting with a hair paint doesn't flow of the brush correctly and dries up too quickly. It's how sharp the tip is and brush control that matters. Having a larger brush with a nice tip can give you better results. I use a 1 or 2 for most of my work, they have enough of a reservoir of paint that you can load it up and it will flow nicely onto the model through the tip. I do have a 0 and 00 but use them in only very specific occasions.

Edited by Ratty

• 2 weeks later...

It's really great to get feedback from someone who is such an amazing painter, so I'd really appreciate it if you could look over some of the models I've done. I'm normally a pretty slow painter with whole armies only half painted, but the Malifaux stuff has really grabbed me, so I'm actually working through my collection quite quickly, roughly 2 models a week!

Anyway, I really hope you get some time to look through these! I'm hoping to try some OSL when I get to the Death Marshall with the flames.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22061

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22238 (other models throughout the thread)

It's really great to get feedback from someone who is such an amazing painter, so I'd really appreciate it if you could look over some of the models I've done. I'm normally a pretty slow painter with whole armies only half painted, but the Malifaux stuff has really grabbed me, so I'm actually working through my collection quite quickly, roughly 2 models a week!

Anyway, I really hope you get some time to look through these! I'm hoping to try some OSL when I get to the Death Marshall with the flames.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22061

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22238 (other models throughout the thread)

One thing I will say is think about basing. Basing really makes the model, and it is normally the first thing I think about before I even put paint on the model.

SeamusNFriendsWIP.jpg

You can do wonders with a very small amount of work. For example get away just using some slate, a pack of GW skeletons and some filler (I normally use old style flock mixed with some PVA).

JacknFriends.jpg

The majority of these is just some slate laid down with super glue, some skulls and bits of wood stuck into the gaps and then filler. Dead quick to do.

HangedWIP1f.jpgHangedWIP1b.jpg

BTW I didn't say, but Lady J and the Judge look great, I just think they are let down by a lack of basing.

Edited by Ratty

hi eric.first i think this is a great idea and thanks for taking your time for all of us.now i was always a painter and nerver a real gamer.but i seem to have hit the point of no improvement.so i ask for your advice on what i class my best painted piece so far.its seamus and same as the back of his box set colour wise.now i kept those colours cause i thought he looked cool.but i wanted to try and duplicate the light sourcing aswell.please feel free to rip it apart and throw it all back together again.any tips of fine tuning would be much appreciated.so here he is.

picture.php?albumid=149&pictureid=649

thanks again for any feedback.

tony.