£25-£30 on Marcus, what to get?

ukrocky

So I have some toy soldier vouchers to spend and what to make a small start to my Marcus crew (before I inevitably spend £100+ buying all the other models he can have).

I looked at the box-set but I feel I could get a more useful beginning to life then the models that come in it, so aside from Marcus, what would you guys reccomend to get me kickstarted with Marucs, I'll obviously be adding to him in the near future, but for now...?

P.s. I have no beasts atm from any of my crews, nor any Arcanists!

P.P.S I have no qualms with using proxies, and can usually find some nice cheap ones if a unit not out is reccomended!

Edited by ukrocky

The box set is actually pretty good - the sabertooth and the rattler come in it, so thats a good start.

after that, you would probably want to pick up, in the following order:

jackalope

shikome

blister of sillurids

after that, you would be best off picking up something like hans, a convict gunslinger, or something you can proxy as a gunsmith (until he comes out).

The biggest thing about marcus and co is that they are very fast moving, hard hitting beasts, that have no ranged attacks to speak of and fall down when hit by a wet paper towel.

One thing you might also consider is the lawyer - he can buff your crew by making them hard to wound 2.

How many SS are you aiming for, and do you have any Mercenaries?

Either way, take what I'm saying in the following with a grain of salt as I'm not a Marcus player.

I believe there's many ways you could go with Marcus, and the (few?) dedicated Marcus players out there will probably swear by different beasts as their MvPs (MvB?)..

Be it the Silurids, the Sabertooth, Molemen, Shikome or the Guild Lawyer..

Soeh.. I suppose you should expect some varied answers here xD

Personally I think I'd give the Coryphée a shot if I were to start out Marcus myself, simply because it's such a great model for so many things in this game (and because it's good for all the Arcanist Masters, if you'd plan on further branching out your new Faction).. If you're worried about it not being a Beast you could proxy a Raptor and Strike it with Enrage turn one (if anyone claims this to be cheese simply point on your Master) - though it shouldn't be strictly necessary.

The Jackalope is just a single SS so definetly coming aswell.. I also like the idea of Armor+2 on Waldgeists for protecting Marcus, they should be decent additions, even with no forests around.. Maybe some Desperate Mercenaries to bump the number of activations a bit (even if they're not out just yet)..

And.. I broke the budget..

Again, the validity of my advice here is probably questionable.. xD Main points was Coryphée and that you shouldn't be too afraid of including non-beasts.. Hmm..

If I was getting a Marcus Crew from scratch, my first models would be (in order of priority);

Marcus

Sliurid

Jackalope

Razorspine/Sabretooth/Shikome

The Silurid are amazing beasts. They're the closest you can get to an auto-include for a Marcus crew and so they should probably be the first thing you purchase.

The Jackalope...well it's a death-bunny for 1SS. Why wouldn't you get one? :D

After that, any 7+SS beast would be fine I suppose. Alot of people recommend the Shikome but it's not always the best choice if your potential prey targets are easily protected and the shikome gets tied up in melee with non-prey minions.

I think molemen are awesome and under-used. For book 1 they are pretty much his only cheap option.

But when raptors and night terrors come out I think they will be amazing for him. The rogue necromancy as well to complement the living 3 headed tigers.

I would still get his starter