"Golden Gesso" Or Reaper Brush on Primers

(TV)

As stated on the title, I'm wondering if anyone had used gesso (I have the "golden" brand locally) or the reaper brush on primer, and how you found them for you Malifaux minis. If you can, compare.

Thank you in advance for all comments advice and help!

Regards,

TV

I've been using watered down Liquitex gesso, both white and black, for the last couple years. All of the figures in my project log are primed with gesso. Applied cautiously it works really well. Flooding should be avoided when at all possible because, even though gesso shrinks quite a bit, it can still obscure detail. Comparing gesso to a spray primer, I'd say the gesso is more convenient in that it doesn't make a huge mess and you can use it regardless of temperature and humidity, but the finish isn't quite as nice as a good spray.

I use gesso all the time, I use an Australian brand (matisse) but I dare say most would be pretty similar if you choose a reputable brand. I find it a lot nicer than spray primer and because Malifaux is a game that only needs a few models to have a game with (says the person with now about 80 of them) I find it takes no longer to prime than normal. It has a nice 'tooth' whe you are painting over so paint adhesion and control is really good, it not like the paint is wanting to not stick to the primer.

A couple of tips though:

1. Make sure your brush is moist, it just helps the gesso go on better

2. You can and probably should apply it quite liberally, it doesnt matter if your mini looks a bit like the blog when you are done because as gesso shrinks to form as it dries (its true I was sceptical when I first started using it a couple of years ago but it really does)

3. Give your minis about 6 hours after primer before you hit them with any paint to make sure the gesso has cured.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Oh it also goes a long way