Sewer board WIP

thatnicguy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok hit the wknd with a real plan to get some work done on the table, friday night i did well (sad i know but i have two wee boys under three so social life is right on backburner)

i basecoated the most central raised section, it already has a pattern pressed into the card with a ballpoint pen, this didnt work as i had hoped but still helps.

I painted it all and let it dry then re-drew the tile pattern with black pen, then inked the whole thing then intended to go over and highlight the whole thing with a fine brush..

photo-6.jpg

at this point i was really happy with how it was coming up, its really light compared to the rest of the board but i wanted one section to be a real contrast, old light tiles but fithly and broken. unfortunately this was the first bit of the board i put together, its hard foam inside boxes (usually from musli bars or something) and the one im working wasnt as solid as it should have been, it has sagged and started to warp

photo-8.jpg

now i have pretty low standards sometimes but like i said i was happy with the effect of the tiles and it was making the warping look even worse, so i agonised for a while then bit the bullet, decided to patch the top level with a hard bit of card and try and get it sharp and flat looking, cost me more than a nights work but doing the whole process over i could take some shortcuts and am pleased i did

photo-7.jpg

hopefully still finish that bit tonight but a bit of work in the detailing :) i want to do something special with the pipe over hanging the tiles, a grate and a tentacle meybe or a grate with a corpse stuck against it on the inside of the pipe! that would be a challenge ;)

also started putting bits of card aroung the board just to have bits raised out of the 'water' i couldn handle the idea of putting the crate and barrel terrain down on the wet sections, didnt sit right with me! they'd get soaked!

photo-9.jpg

Yay back to where I started Friday! The subtle hidden design is so much more subtle in person I swear!! The camera seemed to wash out the lighter colour and not the dark :) now it's all glueing down, have to wait till it's dry before I can fix all the gaps in the card so im onto my second coryphee, wish me luck photo-10.jpg

Edited by thatnicguy

Once my crews ready for upcoming tourn here I'l get some in game ones for sure, dunno if im up for battle report! Would be fun though but a lot of work, I'm trying to get the board done for the tourn (end of august) and (if it's cool with the organizer) I love to have it as one of the boards for the event so I can get pics of heaps of crews playing on it!

Once my crews ready for upcoming tourn here I'l get some in game ones for sure, dunno if im up for battle report! Would be fun though but a lot of work, I'm trying to get the board done for the tourn (end of august) and (if it's cool with the organizer) I love to have it as one of the boards for the event so I can get pics of heaps of crews playing on it!

You definately have my ok to bring it along as one of the boards for the tourney. I would love to see it there!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back to work! Last weekend I got no time at all to work on the table so I'm attacking it this weekend. In a weeks time I'm going to get some big stretches of time to work on it so I intend to have it finished in about a fortnights time.

photo1.jpg

Mostly just finishing off construction tonight, Ive been procrastinating for a while now regarding that final corner, friends and I have played more than a

few games on bare polystyrene..

The top of the box above was one that had a texture pressed onto it with a ballpoint pen but it just didn't cut it. Now it has some old flyscreen with a thick card over the top.

photo2.jpg

The final tower to get card pinned and glued on, I'm really keen to get onto the half-pipe, it's going to be real fun piece to work on.

photo5.jpg

Ok everthings all carded up, the half-pipes getting some foamcard supports which will double as some more cover but other than that I should just get to paint (when I get time!) over the next two days so hopefully have some pics to put up sunday

Edited by thatnicguy

Well I got a lot done by it was mostly bulk work, knocked in big areas quick drybrush or highlight and change colours, so not an exciting update. I'm resolved next time to do a crazy detailed bit, gaming group have been giving some great suggestions for some small diorama-style details and there is plenty of room for them so have three planned out :)

photo1-1.jpg

That final bare box im actually gonna splash out and get a piece of plastic for the top, woodland scenics or similar, hopefully with a brick or cobblestone pattern. The top of that tower needs fixing.

photo2-1.jpg

Pleased with how the flywire turned out, I've done that before and stuffed it.

This time after it was a glued down I gave the entire lot a coat of black acrylic and let it all dry before I drybrushed the flywire. It seemed to even it all out. That box needs fixing up

photo3-1.jpg

Close up of the foamcard supports, they look rough because I've filled the edges with polyfiller. Wanted them to be nice and sharp, haven't played with foamcard much before, hope it works :)

Edited by thatnicguy

Yay I had the day off and manage to get a little detail bit done, not perfect but happy with it for game terrain

photo-24.jpg

It's a corpse thats come down the pipe and got trapped behind the grate :) managed to smash it together, do a bit of greenstuff and paint him all in one session, well chuffed