Sewer board WIP

thatnicguy

Hey,my names nic im from perth in western australia.

Im working in a new gaming table. im notorious for starting new tables with big ideas then getting crap (even from my wife!) for not finishing them.

So i decided that im gonna throw up photos and do a little post on what im doin to motivate me to carry it thru to the end.

let me know what you think

May12011003.jpg

so this is the basic constuction, i work in the building industry as a painter as such i have access to tons of paint and plenty of tools which carry over to the hobby. The cardboard tube is all from a local fabric and free, the foam from friends and brother.

May12011004.jpg

a more aerial veiw, there will be about half a dozen pieces of terrain made separate to the board which will fill in the bigger gaps as required

May12011005.jpg

this one has hans in it for a scale reference. the foam is all getting thin card glued over and dressmaking pins stuck in for bolts

plan to do lots of different textures and colours (although same tone, limited palete) mostly to pick out each 'block' of terrain for strats/schemes

needs playtesting i'l post how that goes and try and get some regular updates as it takes shape.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom of the board is a product called MDF? its made from sawdust, they take the sawdust mix it with a bonding glue and smush it into a shape. I get the 5mm thick sheet which is pushing my luck, it can warp if your unlucky but the 3x3 size i dont think it will. I manage to get one which was the right width and only had to make one cut to get it to size.

Managed to get heaps done to the board this week and a test game or two. I played my brothers guild on it, had a great game he used justice i used the victorias, we got a two all draw.. (does the game keep goin if one side loses all figs? i lost my last fig turn six and my brother wasnt on his 'stake a claim' we joked that if the game went two more turns he could walk it in, we did the flips for the game continuing and managed to go to turn eight!!)

my idea for the board is to make a heap of makeshift ladders and piled up junk, i didnt want models to have to head to a ladder to get up onto a level, before the game we decided that the pipes would count as an inch high and all the boxes (slightly different heights) would be 2" high, the tall rectangular shapes are 5" and we decided that you would only be able to get up them if you could do it in one move action (this may need to get changed it might raise problems if someone can get up there with flight or arachnid and be untouchable, though to do it the other way takes the advantage away from arachnids etc!)

One thing that came up that i would love opinions and ideas on was charging up or down the levels, if you can see someone from on one of the boxes to the ground or vice versa should you be able to charge down the two inch or charge up?

the game we had we played it that you could charge up and down, kept it simple and as long as it applied to both players it worked fine, still would appreciate thoughts

May12011006.jpg

have made heaps of progress on board will post some pics over the weekend, i ran out of dress pins so i started painting what i had finished, chuffed with how it looks but it says alot about how i work half is still foam while i start to finish the painting on parts on the first half :)

Update. have got heaps done, i ran out of dressmaking pins so i started undercoating, i had been talking to a workmate about using my work spraygun to undercoat the table (3000psi airless spraygun..) discussed pressure, what size tip to use, what mix of paint in the end chickened out :)

i picked up a couple of spraypack cans of black acrylic undercoat.

May20112312.jpg

luckily i had made a piece of terrain for the board and i tested the spray on it before the main board, acylic spray melts polystyrene the same as oil based.

im sure i knew this but im really forgetful, so i sealed the exposed poly on the main board with pva and went ahead with spraying most of the board before i ran short of paint.

The pva did nothing :)

so i had to stop trying to cut corners and cover all the exposed poly with thin card.

May12011167.jpg

I started off painting the lowest level of the board, im goin to have just the lowest level covered with water effects but wont do that till near the end.

in my head i had picture a blue/green floor i actually painted about a third of the board before deciding it looked crap and goin with the stone/beige colour, im goin to paint/draw a tile pattern hear and there like you would see on a rough building or landscape plan, i want it to look like the water has flooded a space it wasnt meant to and drawing patches of tiles will (hopefully!) look like the water has been there for a bit you cant see the floor perfectly.. we will see

was really happy with how quickly i could paint it up, i got a decent sized brush more for painting sample colours on peoples walls than hobby stuff, that and the fact that its all flat surfaces made it really easy

May12011166.jpg

hopefully i can keep up the pace, the hard part will be once all the big surface are painted and i start to add some details!

The board looks great.

I'd be nice if the pipes were climbable/walkable. It'd be challenging to get the models to stand on it, but it might be possible to make something to temporarily sit atop the pipes to keep the model stable. It could be moved under them as they walk along!

we are treating them as a height one climbable feature :) there wide enough that a 30mm fig can balance on top but its a bit hairy! we keep a lump of bluetack on the side of the board to use, running along the top of the pipes is a must :) i will do some gantry/walkways on top of some of the pipes once they'v been painted plus another smashed section or two :)

yay after taking a pic of my spay-melted test terrain i was motivated to finish it, threw card over the foam and brush undercoated it yesterday morning before heading out and got a chance to paint it today.

first pic is awful forgot to flick the flash off

May20115016.jpg

macro lens with the flash on seems to show more mistakes and imperfections than my naked eye can see...

and painted, will add some small details later, im thinkin at least one pack of malifaux rats would look great in some little dark corners

May20115043.jpg

cant wait to get another game in on it, iv gotten heaps done this weekend but will probably wont get more pics up till midweek, post is doin its job though, i dont think i would have got nearly as much done if i wasnt putting it up for all to see