Thoughts about neverborn.

Dark Alleycat

Ok,so part of my goal is to have at least one army from every faction,simply because I like that idea lol. Plus it gives me plenty of options for painting lol.

Anyways..I have finally gotten

Guild(Perdita and Sonnia)

Outcasts (Von Schill,with Viktorias soon to happen I believe)

Arcanists (Collette)

Ressurectionists (Seamus)

So now comes the question of what to get for neverborn.

Now...so far,its been the minion models that have made me fall for the Neverborn. So far,I want to get the Twins. But...I can't figure what Master I want to get. I don't think I want to get Pandora,just because..I can't see any game against Pandora being really fun for my opponent,given how I play...which I admit is about denying my opponent alot of times...Now...I like playing a Master with sneaky things they can do...But I don't enjoy having a Master that sits in the backlot the entire game and lets the troops do the work.

So..I am coming to the experts,and asking what you recommend. Since I know the twins were made to work with any neverborn Master,Im not so worried about that.

Hmmm..maybe I should wait until Candy becomes a Henchman and use her as my Neverborn master lol.

Zoraida.

Obviously she works with the twins and you can even viably take one without the other (just hex off Same Malignant Force on turn 1). She also has the advantage of variety. Other Neverborn Masters tend to have a set group of minions that work really well with them but have limited synergy with the rest. Zoraida works with everyone, so you're really not limited in the models you can take with her.

The only negative is that Zoraida definitely has a supportive playstyle. She can feasibly sit at the back of the table obeying/bewitching a conduited model, but alot of the time she's much better off just behind the front lines, where she can easily bewitch/obey different models in the same turn.

Still, if support really isn't your thing, I'd recommend Lilith. I get the impression that Pandora and Dreamer are two of the more frustrating Masters to play against, and Lilith has that direct playstyle you seem to prefer.

I'd have to second what Rathnard said. Zoraida would be a good choice for you but so would Lilith. Lilith can be really really sneaky with Transposition and Earthquake + Master of Malifaux and her minions are very direct and powerful with enough tricks to keep people thinking (ala Lilitu and Nekima).

I think the Dreamer may turn out to be more of a headache for you then you want and he pretty much only wants to work with Nightmares. Also Pandora is a mean caster to play and play against, she is very strong once mastered but she is also a mean master if there ever was one ;)

Sounds like the Dreamer is for you. You'll have a lot of fun with that guy and his stuffed animal. lol. Once I have Pandora down packed, he's the next guy I'm thinking of getting. :) Zoraida and Lilith are definelty favorites especially of the "twins". Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Barby :)

Edited by Barby007
Spelling errors

I read your post and thought Lilith or Zoraida. Lilith can be straight forward, but has more flexibility than say Lady J with transposition, illusionary forest, master of malifaux, etc.

Zoraida seems to fit what you want, but tends to be much more support focused; although I have seen her kill the Viks in close combat before. She is the second best neverborn melee master in book 1.

No, no, no. Everyone stop trying to give him good advice, it will make me have to think harder during game.:D

Seriously Cat Man if you want you can proxie my Lilith, which I think will be right up your Ally, I have her with me all the time.(See what I did there.)

Also the Twins work well with ALL the Neverborn masters. They are stupid good.:firedevil Think Nino, but without the Head Shot.

Well I admit it was pretty much down to between Zoraida and Lilith. Zoraida definitely appealed to my sneaky side more then Lilith did,at least at first glance..But..I wasn't sure about how well she would do being actually part of the action rather then hanging back...that and it does seem like everyone at red castle has her lol. Lilith has the more up front fighting that I prefer from my Masters (Von Schill,Seamus,Perdita) while Zoraida seems to have more of the "Make you worry about 3 million things at once" type of play that I do with Sonnia when im on my game lol.

How does Zoraida rank on the "masters that are annoying as hell to play against" list? And apparently she does halfway well working midfield and casting correct? How durable in HtH is she out of curiosity? I know she would get minced by say LadyJ...but could she go toe to toe with a decent minion and not get wrecked?

And Murphy if you will be there tonight after 9 I would love the chance to try out Lilith

I'd say Lilith myself too, partially because she's by far my favorite of my 7 crews. She can be a beater for when you want to be agressive, but also can support very well.

Plus if you want to use the twins and use Lilith, you also get a good reason to get the new black blood shaman and, especially, Nekima which are released next week. How can you not like the Nekima model?

Why do I feel like I am in Akira when I scream out "Nekima".

And DA don't use Lilith like Ben as purely a beatstick, which she maybe good at, but WS emissary suggests, as both a beatstick and support. Start the first couple of turns using her as a support caster then when you get a good attack angle throw her into the mix.

Zoraida is actually not horrible in close combat. She does not do a lot of damage, but she has a trigger which can help.

Her main melee strength is that she is a pain to hit and she has a good defensive trigger. She also typically has more soul stones than she can use which help out a lot in combat.

Her ability to re-use a card helps her out in combat as well. Red joker the attack and the damage flip, or re-use that 13 you flipped, etc.

I have used her effectively against melee-masters in close combat in emergency situations. I killed one Vic with her and survived multiple turns of close combat with them. The only reason she didn't kill the other was because she was trying to use obey to kill them to get VP's.

She is very survivable, so placing her near the action is actually one of the best ways to use her.

Her defense is poor, but propper manners, soul stones, and her card tricks help it out a lot. Her willpower is the best in the game, basically spells don't work against her. And two obeys a turn (with her voodoo doll) will help out in combat as well.