Off Topic Playground

Stooge Suppressor?

No thanks, I'm regular.

Ever played a game that left you a bit depressed afterwards? I did. Gone Home, which most simpletons dismissed as a "walking simulator," did it to me. It's basically a story told through the interface of a video game- instead of turning pages to get more of the story, you're walking around and interacting with the house you're in. It's also in a time capsule of 1995, and they did their homework on all the little things- TV listings, old board game spoofs, old-school video games, and the riot grrrl/female punk music available to listen to in the game frames it all nicely. It doesn't hurt (help?) that in the summer of 1995 I was the same age as the protagonist.

It's kinda like after someone dies and you go through all of their possessions and you start to get a better feel for who they were as a person, except in this case, no one has died. It reminds me of this project I had in college once- to use a narrative as a means of defining a character. I feel a tangent coming on, (and it's a bit gloomy), so spoiler time...

One of my very creative classmates staged the dorm room of a fictitious person, complete with magazines, tapes, classwork, jotted notes, and so on. It was awesome considering how little time we had to finish the project. I don't want to think about what she could've done if it was her only project for a month or two.

Meanwhile, I did a horror-ish journal about a guy slowly losing his mind (manifested as parts of his dwelling being replaced by nothing but solid grey- and people wonder why I like Tara's crew) whose final focus ends up being on peanut butter because it's one of the few things left in the house and pretty much the only source of food. I wrote each journal entry by hand, with worse penmanship each time, and smeared actually peanut butter, jelly, and toast crumbs all over the thing. Had to spray it with a lot of fixative to keep it from attracting flies :P

She was (is) an artist. I'm just a nerd with a selective memory for pop culture detritus and occasionally good music. Sometimes I think I could be a successful hack, but I'd be a hack all the same. Or perhaps I could be an editor- I'm good at fixing other people's stuff, it seems.

That project (and this game) are sober reminders of how much more vibrant we are in our youth. We have these naive ideas about changing the world or at least doing things our own way, but very few actually get to do that. Life at that age is many things, but it rarely, if ever, feels like a chore.

Anyhow, if you like the idea of a story told through the lens of a game, it's worth it for $5.

• Like 2

Additionally, I think I want to try my hand at fiction. Maybe I would type less in here if I had another outlet lol

My friend and I decided to try our hand at designing a board game today. Lot of work, for sure, but I look forward to it.

Checking the phone from the restroom while out dancing?

And what kind of board game?

No, dance lesson was an hour, and I'm back.

And it's going to be a dungeon crawler, I think, like Descent of HeroQuest. But with a more streamlined story (like Andor) and without an Overlord (like Shadows of Brimstone). That's the agenda at least.

I would totally playtest that. So would like 4 other people I know who could meet at least once a month at someone's house. 

Too early for that, but I'll keep it in mind.

It's probably a biased answer in a Malifaux forum, but would you prefer dice or cards to resolve combat?

It would depend on the overall mechanic of the game, honestly. I don't like too many dice. Same point, I don't like too few cards if they each have specific abilities or rules. Deck-building preferred over random draw. 

Ever played the Iron Throne board game? Cards plus a stat make the result. Malifaux is similar but the cards have a wider variance. Even dice can mean a lot of different resolutions.

So many things to consider....

My friend and I both like games about tactical choices which means that the game cannot be too random. Cards reduce randomness, but maybe too much. We need a close eye on probabilities. Good thing I married a mathematician.

That could be where the cards come in, if they represented gear or skills. Remove the random factor somewhat by building your character with cards. 

Gear is very difficult. If improvement of gear is to be engaging, balance shifts. A better sword makes an easier mission. If the mission is exciting with the sword, it'll be difficult without it.

So much to consider....