Off Topic Playground

An App would defeat my purpose of playing it over the internet, with people who don't use the same phones. If it's on a small screen, that doesn't matter much, as I won't use it for actual tabletop. Nothing beats real cards.

I just wnat something like Vassal to support TtB. That'd be awesome.

D, I was thinking an app that each person runs just for card flipping. Everything else (interaction, etc) is all done over Skype. 

You're both right. NWoD treats the core setting just great, but then everybody wants to be something else, and suddenly you've got D10 Rifts on your hands. I make the general rule of "you're all everyday humans, suck it" and things turn out fine. Not that hard to amp up the difficulty with normal humans and realistic laws - the only time gun control laws actually make sense is when your friends want them in the game.

I'm not a fan of WoD crossover. It takes away focus from the core themes.

D, I was thinking an app that each person runs just for card flipping. Everything else (interaction, etc) is all done over Skype. 

Well, that would work if everyone was in the same digital space and could see the flips. Everybody has to flip from the same deck in TtB.

Well, that would work if everyone was in the same digital space and could see the flips. Everybody has to flip from the same deck in TtB.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Everyone digitally accesses the same deck. 

We have discussed making a module for Roll20, the problem is the skillset. We are not technologically savvy over here.

nWoD has some great stuff, but I definitely think you need to limit the world and the players. I like dice pool games, but at the end of the day WoD is just too encouraging of min-maxing.

Oh Ok, well, its not like I have anything to hide...being an upstanding Guild employee and all that...

giphy.gif

You'd be Employee of the Month every month if it weren't for that other upstanding Guild employee, Dr. Douglas McMourning.

• Like 1

Typical NWoD Group:

Player 1 - I want to be a Vampire

Player 2 - I want to be a Werewolf

Player 3 - I want to be a Mage

Player 4 - I want to be Promethean

Me - I am going to enjoy killing all of you

Well, nah. That's not how I do it. More

Me: I'm planning a Demon game. You wanna play?

All: Hell yeah!

Me: That's the spirit!

nWoD has some great stuff, but I definitely think you need to limit the world and the players. I like dice pool games, but at the end of the day WoD is just too encouraging of min-maxing.

Agreed, mostly. I like min-maxers. Easy to counter. (also, TtB has been critizised for that problem, too.)

We have discussed making a module for Roll20, the problem is the skillset. We are not technologically savvy over here.

Good to know.

People min-max in TTB, sure, but it barely even matters. Maxxed is like a 7, and standard is like a 5. A swing of 2 when you're d13 against a static number is not hugely significant (whereas rolling a few extra d10 for WoD really can be). That said, I'm not here to defend TTB :-P

Anyone know the game Better Angels? Now that is a freakin' awesome game.

Better Angels recap from DriveThruRPG has me sold. Especially the highlighted part. That seems AWESOME.

A demon gave you superpowers and it demands EEEEVIL!

In Better Angels, you play a supervillain trying to control the demon that gives you amazing powers—and you play the demon for the player next to you, pushing that player’s supervillain to greater and greater acts of supervillainy.

Do too much evil and the demon might take control. Too little, and—well, it’s a demon. It will find ways to punish you.

Better Angels focuses directly on characters’ moral stances. Is your villain Insightful or Devious? Cunning or Patient? Is your Courage as great as your Cruelty? Those characteristics drive your superpowers. They shape your relationship with your demon. And they are shaped by it in every scene.

Prepare yourself. There are diabolical inventions to create. Enemies and rivals to thwart.

AN ENTIRE WORLD TO CONQUER!

All it will cost is your soul.

• Like 1

I'm an RPG junkie, and Greg Stolze is the man.

Better Angels is a game where you play supervillains who are host to demons (that give you said superpowers) that you don't WANT to succeed. So you make these elaborate plans to take over the world (so the demon is happy) but set them up to fail (because you're a good person). So the game is all about being a terrible supervillain.

Also, another player is playing your demon, trying to get you to be evil.

Hilarity ensues... for awhile. Then it gets dark.

People min-max in TTB, sure, but it barely even matters. Maxxed is like a 7, and standard is like a 5. A swing of 2 when you're d13 against a static number is not hugely significant (whereas rolling a few extra d10 for WoD really can be). That said, I'm not here to defend TTB :-P

As I haven't played TtB myself yet, I can only judge from this thread which sounds like it has exactly the same problems and solutions about min-maxers as every other game.

It has the significant advantage of playing a Death Marshal. Hard to beat that for every other game.

As I haven't played TtB myself yet, I can only judge from this thread which sounds like it has exactly the same problems and solutions about min-maxers as every other game.

It has the significant advantage of playing a Death Marshal. Hard to beat that for every other game.

I've found the best TtB story arcs involve running AWAY from the Death Marshals.

so, TTB question...

I assume you can pretty much build charcaters from scratch like most RPG's?

Are the abilities, stats etc similar to the TT game?  Ie.  Could I easily transfer characters I have made in TTB into games of Malifaux (with opponents permission) for kicks?

Just enquiring as planning on making my 'Absolution Black' crew based on my stories (shameless plug lol) and would love to be able to use them in both systems..