Off Topic Playground

Oh back in the day they were pretty good at it. Germany kind of proved how bad they were at being invaded though... twice! I mean damn! 

Well, yeah, we won twice. They were pretty hard on us in 1648, 1806 and 1914, though, so I'll call us even. Napoleon was a badass if there ever was one.

I kinda feel like British food is treated a little unfairly. I mean, most of it is pretty bland. But there are hidden gems. Pies* are great and proper fish and chips are wonderful. 

* Which, by the way, aren't pies at all - see me after class, Britain, to discuss the proper use of "pie." Also, "pants" vs. "underwear", "cookies" vs. "biscuits", and the overuse of the letter "u". For inventing the English language you guys are really bad at it.

WOW! You went there... Dude! 

I don't mind... too much. It's the attitude that they are still Germans and thus should be part of Germany that gets people into trouble.

But from a peoples migration perspective... we're practically all Mesopotamians.

• Like 1

I kinda feel like British food is treated a little unfairly. I mean, most of it is pretty bland. But there are hidden gems. Pies* are great and proper fish and chips are wonderful. 

* Which, by the way, aren't pies at all - see me after class, Britain, to discuss the proper use of "pie." Also, "pants" vs. "underwear", "cookies" vs. "biscuits", and the overuse of the letter "u". For inventing the English language you guys are really bad at it.

Clearly you need to be educated in the foul tongue known as Dutch.

British food is mostly awful, with the notable exception of fish&chips. Cheddar is okay, too.

Clearly you need to be educated in the foul tongue known as Dutch.

Dutch is the funniest language in the world.

Hahaha considering you guys speak OUR language you guys sure know how to bastardize it. :D

Also Cookies and Biscuits are totally different. Biscuits are by nature hard or crunchy and go soft when they go stale, cookies should be soft and go hard when stale. There's a clear distinction. *nods*

As for Pie. Don't even get me started! ;)

EDIT - Also, American Football? When do they use their feet? All I see is a bunch of homoerotic guys dog piling each other, probably copping a feel and carrying the ball around. 

I don't mind... too much. It's the attitude that they are still Germans and thus should be part of Germany that gets people into trouble.

But from a peoples migration perspective... we're practically all Mesopotamians.

Yeah, sorry if it did cut to the bone a bit Dirial, it wasn't meant as a dig in THAT sense.  It was more in the 'spirit' of your description. 

I really do need to be careful as although I have no problem with anyone doing the racial stereotypes against the welsh, I realise for some people it can be an issue.

I'm not saying its an issue for you Dirial either, but I don't want to be thought of as that guy!  My comments are almost always tongue in cheek, but probably skirt close to the wire at times.

EDIT - Also, American Football? When do they use their feet? All I see is a bunch of homoerotic guys dog piling each other, probably copping a feel and carrying the ball around. 

I will not defend American "football." As far as I am concerned there is only on kind of "football."

British food done well tastes great.  What irritates me is the insane compulsion to put condiments on everything..totally disguising the actual taste of the food!

Sometimes can't blame people for disguising the taste... Or, you know, adding some flavor :)

British food generally does get a pretty bad rap but to be fair so does American Food. It's usually French this, Italian that which to be fair is fine. We're all guilty of certain things. The Dutch for example, they utterly trash chips (fries for you yanks) with Mayonaise! I mean come on! 

Sometimes can't blame people for disguising the taste... Or, you know, adding some flavor :)

see, I don't do condiments on the whole..i don't even have salt or vinegar on chips.

Hate tomato sauce..doesn't even taste like tomatoes.

And why do people insist on overdoing the spiciness of Vegetarian food?  I paid for a vegetable bake.  I did not pay for ten spoons of chilli powder that proceeds to numb my tastebuds and burn me from within.  I know what vegetables taste like..i quite enjoy them. 

• Like 1

British food generally does get a pretty bad rap but to be fair so does American Food. It's usually French this, Italian that which to be fair is fine. We're all guilty of certain things. The Dutch for example, they utterly trash chips (fries for you yanks) with Mayonaise! I mean come on! 

Our fries are awesome. Not as good as belgian fries, but still very awesome. 

• Like 1

Fries and mayo is delicious. And yeah, America has many culinary things to be ashamed of. Most of those things are Guy Fieri.