Off Topic Playground

Northern New Jersey has better italian food than Italy.

Ah, no. Not arguing that point, because it isn't worth it. Just no.

Want some Greek food and culture? Go to Detroit. Might as well be in Greece. 

Greece has 3000 years of cultural history. Not even close. Also a no on the food side.

The US really is spoiled to some degree with options.

That's true, but they are all American options. They might resemble different parts of the world, but there'll always be American things at the core. Not that that's bad, but America is not the whole world in one country, and it isn't good to pretend that it is. (Personal note: I don't think you do that, but a lot of Americans do. The question of "Why should I want to leave this country?" is proof by itself.)

Dirial, I agree that I would rather travel and see different countries. But for many americans who can't afford that, going to different parts of the country accomplishes the same goal. It is soooooo much easier in Europe to hop over to a different country. Can't really do that here.

Money is a valid argument, and distance, too. But if they believe it accomplishes the same goal: No. It doesn't accomplish the goal to learn more about other countries.

What's the difference between Americans and Yoghurt?

Yoghurt has Culture! Badumtsss! :D

I love that joke, but it isn't true in the slightest. American culture might be young, and a mash-up of different cultures, but we all started that way. America has enough culture for us to import all that stupid Starbucks stuff. Also, movies and TV shows and all that.

• Like 1

At least there's decent food here in the US :D (though I will admit you Brits do Indian food better than some places in India).

We did own the entire sub-continent at one point. We've got a large Indian population in certain parts of the country. 

Greece has 3000 years of cultural history. Not even close. Also a no on the food side.

Greece has more history and culture than pretty much all of Europe. America on the other hand doesn't have history, just long memories. 

A Classic example of American ignorance right here. Where I live in Dorset there is a small town called Corfe Castle in an area known as the Purbecks. It's named after the Castle it surrounds. The Castle although in a state of disrepair after the Civil War which dates back a few hundred years was brought to it's knees after two sieges has been standing for nearly 1000 years and was originally build by William the Conqueror after his invasion back in 1066. 

Whilst there one day with the Mrs I met an American couple seeing the sights. He asked if I knew how old the castle was so I explained to him the little bit of history I knew about the surrounding site. He looked at me with disbelief and argued that the castle couldn't have been that old because and I quote! "Our town hall back home is only 150 years old"

I just looked at him with a blank stare, utterly shocked at what I had just heard and walked away before my somewhat fragile temper got the better of me. I'd love to hear his thoughts on the site of Badbury Rings which was originally an Iron Age fort. :D

• Like 1

Futurama is comedy gold and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Not that one! Futurama is awesome, that is why it is on pernament repeat here! (In english, nonetheless)

I was more thinking of the live action ones for kids, that are badly dubbed on top of being unfunny.

Not everything of course. Just Starbucks and what they call "comedy" series.

That really gets on my nerves. American takes a LOT of brilliant British comedy, make it more stupid people friendly then smash out 10 series of it. The Office (which I was never a fan off and they are welcome too) is a classic example of this. America have been doing this for years. They even tried an American version of Fawlty Towers which failed miserably back in the day. 

Actually I have this probably wrong assumption that American tourists are probably the worst type of American!

Never met one that didn't seem to belittle a country's culture in some way.

Was at Stonehenge years ago and one guy was overheard telling his wife. " What were these guys thinking, building this shit out of heavy stones.  If you want to worship God why not build a church".

Ummm.

Kinda get the feeling he will be in Egypt going " Why build these in a pyramid shape? A good flat roof is much better" !!

I've noticed that kind of thinking living here. There's an "old" church across the street from my office building. It's maybe 100-120 years old. Now, for the US, that is almost half the country's history. 

Everytime I walk by it there are tourists marveling at the age. I kind of want to slap them and send them to the town where my dad lives (small village right outside Doncaster). It's nothing special, just a country village. Except the church there was rebuilt sometime in the 1600s and there are gravestones from much ealier than that. 

Europeans tend to forget how young a country the US is, and how little (time-wise) history it has. 

• Like 3

Actually I have this probably wrong assumption that American tourists are probably the worst type of American!

Never met one that didn't seem to belittle a country's culture in some way.

Was at Stonehenge years ago and one guy was overheard telling his wife. " What were these guys thinking, building this shit out of heavy stones.  If you want to worship God why not build a church".

Ummm.

Kinda get the feeling he will be in Egypt going " Why build these in a pyramid shape? A good flat roof is much better" !!

Hahaha! Awesome! I live about 45 minutes away from Stonehenge. It's an incredible achievement considering the time it was built and that the stone comes from miles away from the actual site. I believe some of the blue stone actually comes from Wales. I mean damn! Those things are massive and it dates back to 8000BC. 

Hahaha! Awesome! I live about 45 minutes away from Stonehenge. It's an incredible achievement considering the time it was built and that the stone comes from miles away from the actual site. I believe some of the blue stone actually comes from Wales. I mean damn! Those things are massive and it dates back to 8000BC. 

Yup, it is believed the rock was hewed in Wales then transported hundreds of miles to Stonehenge via what is likely rolling them along on logs.

And it is also believed that the welsh 'slaves' that transported the stones were just cast adrift and had no way of finding their own way home!

Bloody English!

And when I say "American" history I mean the history of the US as a country. There is plenty of history on this continent. Go back to European colonists in the 1500-1600s. There are indigenous peoples here who have been here for thousands of years and are legitimately old civilizations. But Americans tend not to think that far back. Not sure why. It's not a bad thing, its just an.... interesting worldview.