Off Topic Playground

Im only 2 crews away from a painted crew in every faction (except gremlins, but they dont count til m2 is out)

So I should really get off my duff and paint people. And not arcanists, because I already have a couple painted crews for them and I just want to paint spiders because they're easy...

Afternoon all, I see we beat the 5000 page mark now, woohoo!

~Notices my Girls are all busy shopping online and acting all sneaky~

I think they got our credit cards again...

Anyway, slow painting right now, I managed to gash my finger on a modelling saw the other day (oops) but still managed to get Shang painted along with a 2nd version of my old homebrew Ork warboss Throth Da Redd (he's got red skin and uses attack Grots, they have Squig brains) and am pretty happy with how they turned out (yes, converting this chap is how I gashed my finger...), just need to get Yamaziko finished and the Ten Thunders crew is done. Must admit that they've been a fun crew to paint.

The real painting challenge arrives when I get my stuff form the Reaper Bones KS, I simply cannot wait to get painting some of those minis, then it's the Relic Knights KS stuff. Somehow I think I may have a nervous breakdown by 2014, I never paint this much. So far this year I've painted more minis than I have in the last 5 years, heh.

To make matters worse, I am embarking on my Horus heresy Legion army next month, I decided to go with Death Guard after painting up sample minis of spare space marines for the 6 or 7 legions that interested me most. I figured DG were the one I'd get least bored with painting. I'll start with a commander, standard bearer and 10 marines, then add another 10 marines, then a contemptor and some DG cataphractii terminators. That should get me to about 700 points (and about £2,000,000 out of pocket, lol!).

Who says I'm overwhelmed? I'm currently loving my need to paint minis all the time. The breakdown will come when I realise I've actually gone through 2 boxes of stuff in the "need to paint" pile, lol! Oh yeah, the smallest of those boxes is a Land Raider box, so you can imagine how many assembled minis each box holds and I have emptied 1 already this year... Yikes that's a lot more models...

250 Reaper Minis, 50+ Relic Wars, 30 zombie survivors, other KS stuff... Yep, I think I have lots of models already coming to me this year. Speaking of those survivors, I must get on to Wayland about them, they were in stock when I ordered and they've still not dispatched them, grr. Still, same old story with Wayland it seems, falsifying their stock levels :(

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

I refuse to count up how many unpainted models I still have though, I do know that at least 4 5000 point Warhammer armies and who knows what else is counted among them :(

I may need to get my Gothic Showgirls to paint them, so long as they don't give 300 Goblins stripey socks :P

The real painting challenge arrives when I get my stuff form the Reaper Bones KS, I simply cannot wait to get painting some of those minis, then it's the Relic Knights KS stuff. Somehow I think I may have a nervous breakdown by 2014, I never paint this much. So far this year I've painted more minis than I have in the last 5 years, heh.

Yeah, when the Bones stuff gets here in August or September. Granted, it's beyond Reaper's control but I'm surprised they didn't factor in a few extra weeks at least in case of a delay like this.

I posted this a little while ago- was it inappropriate? http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?42636-Dear-Wyrd-Thank-you-for-not-doing-what-this-company-did&p=549227#post549227

Thanks, Ed.

Mako: question here

Mornin all!

So, question, specifically for mako because I know you sculpt and cast molds, what do you use? And how? I'm kind of thinking about giving it a go. I may not have painted 3d stuff before, but I can certainly make it. Or I could 3 years ago, anyway.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Ed I thought you finished Monique....

Ahh. Well, I use brass wire for armatures, green stuff for some things, and Fimo classic for everything else. Champagne colour for preference, it's easier to see what you're doing with it than white.

Mould making, that's more tricky. Any room temperature vulcanising silicon, preferably with a shore hardness of 15. Plasticine and Lego to make mould boxes of course, and then as thin a two part resin as you can get. The lowest viscosity possible. Polyurethane I think is what I use.