Adepticon Dixon Tiru

DarcXON

I can't remember most of my opponents schemes but I will (attempt to) post mine. I do remember 1 scheme from round two since it sparked a hilarious moment between me and my opponent.:evil:

I will make four different posts so that I don't make a wall of text bigger than what it's going to be already. If it's not up yet, then I am writing (exhausted mind you...):sleepy:

First round - Shared Slaughter against Kevin Bowler

Kevin

Perdita Ortega -- 5 Cache

Abuela Ortega [7ss]

Francisco Ortega [5ss]

Nino Ortega [7ss]

Papa Loco [6ss]

Santiago Ortega [7ss]

Me

Viktoria -- 6 Cache

Student of Conflict [3ss]

Von Schill [9ss]

Freikorps Librarian [7ss]

Ronin [5ss]

Ronin [5ss]

So I realized that I was going into slaughter with either Viks or Levi and waited until my opponent told me his faction. Since he was playing Guild, I decided on Viks and took Holdout and Breakthrough, since I figured we would be in the middle of the board.

First turn, we basically go through activations and my opponent bring the fight to me. My opponent went first, so I use up some activations and at one point he brings out Papa Loco onto the middle of the board. I use Von Schill to take him out with some good shots and triggering Critical Strike. Since it was from a safe distance I did not get blasted to hell.

At one point I make Sword Vik Fast (Student of Conflict) and after he activates the rest of the family I finally get to activate the Viks. So I move the Gun Vik once, and use Sister's in Spirit to Push Sword Vik within 3 inches.

And this is where everything went down real fast. I activated Sword Vik and cast Sister's in Battle: Fury. Charge into the Fray and Whirlwind (by using stones and flipping from Paired) and killed the family:wtf: with the exception of Perdita (but deal at least 5 wounds to her).

After all of that, Perdita gets first activation and One Shots:frusty: my Sword Vik. For the next four rounds I chased that woman to behind hard cover and took heavy damage as she avoided every shot/strike/spell. Whatever it was that protected that woman finally ended with a lucky strike from Gun Vik and finished with an 8 - 0

Edited by DarcXON

Ok onto Round 2 with Shared Destroy the Evidence. Before I continue, I want to say that this was one of the match ups I was worried about coming to Adepticon. The other one being Nix (which happened to be my last game).

My Schemes were (if I recall correctly) Assassinate and Stake a Claim, and this is the game were my opponent took Grudge (Student of Conflict), and Frame for Murder (Hooded Rider)

EChris (AKA Chris Ward)

Pandora -- 5 Cache

Primordial Magic [2ss]

Hooded Rider [8ss]

Insidious Madness [4ss]

Insidious Madness [4ss]

Lelu [7ss]

Lilitu [7ss]

Sorrow [3ss]

He may not have taken the Sorrow, but otherwise everything in that list.

Me

Viktoria -- 8 Cache

Von Schill [9ss]

Taelor [8ss]

I was lucky enough to have gotten the first activation, for if I had gotten the second activation I would have had to kill the Hooded Rider before I got the center point. I activated and companion the Student of Conflict with the Viks and make Gun Vik fast. Moved the Gun Vik twice and then used Sister's in Spirit to place Sword Vik on the Point. Activate Sword Vik and take the point.

So after getting the Neutral Point my opponent decided to go for his schemes and the rest of the strategy. He moves and positions the Hooded Rider to take the Student of Conflict on Second turn. This is the moment where I decided to trade my 3 point totem to negate 2 VP's. Activate Von Schill, use the Nimble move to get ahead, turn around and one shoots the Totem. :evil:

The Twins activate and Lilitu attempts to Lure Taelor so that Lelu can play with her. She gets it off once before I stop the shenanigans with some high cheats. Lelu without anyone to play with decided to move into position. Taelor charges the Hooded Rider but fails to hit him twice. The rest of the turn, we both move models aiming at different corners and decide where we want to pick our battles, and turn two ends.

My opponent still unabated on turn 3, proceeds to put me in a tough position. He gets first activation and uses the Twins to get Taelor closer to the fray and succeed once more, while stopping two with my high cards. Now I am down two cards and Lelu charges Sword Vik. I have to cheat once more and use two stones I believe. To make matters worst, even after all that, Lelu was within one inch of Sword Vik, and I needed her to take care of Lilitu.

I take the option of taking the two wounds from Black Blood while killing Lelu with a Sister's of Battle: Fury Gun Vik (SoBaf) Draw a card. Activate Sword Vik, charge Lilitu taking her down in two hits as well. But now I am open to Pandora and the rest of the crew. :damnmate:

Hooded Rider did activates and Used Mounted Charge to hit my Vik. even after stoning I only get him to hit me on a flip minus one. My Vik is now down to 3 wounds left so my next activation I use the librarian (by discarding a ram) to furious cast (by discarding another card) and fully healing the Vik.

More movement and placements for the next turn, but basically the Viks had to kill the Hooded Rider Next Turn (giving him Frame for Murder):frusty:

In hindsight, I still don't know if I had another option since I did not know his hand. By the time I killed the Hooded Rider and Pandora, his Insidious Madness had taken at least two point before being taken down themselves.

Game ended 8 - 3

Edited by DarcXON

Round 3 Shared Contain Power

At this point I realized that the top tables contained at least 4 Vik lists and decided to give Leveticus a go. I took Soulless Life and Kill Protege, mainly because I was going to kill myself anyways, and my opponent was most likely going to use his highest model to try and take me down. Remember though that Leveticus MUST survive til the end to get the points, basically forcing me to go big or go home.

Dennis Gunia

Viktoria -- 8 Cache

Von Schill [9ss]

Convict Gunslinger [5ss]

Ronin [5ss]

Ronin [5ss]

Me

Leveticus, Steampunk Necromancer -- 4 Cache

Canine Remains [2ss]

Canine Remains [2ss]

Hooded Rider [8ss]

Killjoy [11ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

Rotten Belles [4ss]

I asked if my opponent had played against Leveticus beforehand and he said that he knew it from Gencon. That alone saved at least half hour of explanations for the game :bigthumb:

After setting up my crew and the kill zone, my opponent spreads out his crew to minimize damage and maximizing angles in. Since the Viks are so fast I was not about to chase them. So I let them come to me. This way at least I get a chance to take something out on their way in.

I mostly had the waif move and one dog do defensive stance while the other one kill the def stance one (a corpse counter in case you need to make a Waif), and looked for an opening in his placements.

I dunno if he knew the range on the Belles but once he moved the Convict Gunslinger Forward, I activated my Belle and Lured him in once. The I activated the second one and Lured him Twice. Hooded Rider used Mounted Combat and did some good damage and continued to pushed somewhere else (I had chosen Night, so he couldn't get shot). Activated Leveticus and turned Convict Gunslinger into a Waif.

From this point on I think he realized that he had to go for the throat, because he rushed in with his Viks. I think he was hoping that Stones would be enough.

Turn 2 starts and he charges the Hooded Rider, dropping him down in one activation. Leveticus starts and Sword Viks cheats and stones saving herself from some wounds and one spell. I cannot waste the last action to cast a spell so I Sacrifice myself to get Killjoy in the fight.

He activated a Ronin to get in position for his Grudge (Belle IIRC). So I activated Killjoy and proceed to commence the violence on poor Vik. Melee Expert and Onslaught later. Again he stones and cheats to save himself but I still do some decent wounds on her, after some prevention and missing. Plus one flip of the black Joker on my Onslaught triggering damage flip...:wtf:

We do some more positioning and turn three starts. I win activation with a 12 so my opponent does not use up the stone. At this point I had to decide whether I wanted 4 for the Strategy (gambling Kill Protege) OR take 6 total (by using Killjoy before he dies). I decided on the Six and Activated Killjoy, finishing off Sword Vik and doing some heavy damage on Von Schill (took him down to 3 wounds and no stones left)

Dennis uses the remainder of his Crew (with the exception of one Ronin) to shoot and kill Killjoy so that he does not kill someone on the way down. I try to Shoot Von Schill without success and died. I activate Leveticus and I think I casted Unnatural Wasting and Entropic Transformation to finish off Vik and Von Schill (I think this is the turn Leveticus did that) took the Last Entropic Transformation, or maybe he took one more turn to kill Schill.

All in all Dennis was a great Vik player and I had to do specific things throughout the game or I would have been punished very badly by crazy strawberry blond chicks...

Thanks for the awesome game Dennis!:bigthumb:

Edited by DarcXON

Round 4 Shared Claim Jump

This is the game that i expected going into round four if I were to go to the finals. This was against Nix (AKA Bill from the Gamer's Lounge). At this point I decided that I would use the Schemes Gather Soulstones and Bodyguard (Schill)

Coming in I knew that it was going to be a Neverborn crew so I decided to make an Anti Neverborn Crew so I figured I would need High Will Power and or a way to stop Terrifying. All I need to do for this mission is stay in the middle, so I try to make a list that can

take a beating and dish it out.

Nix

Pandora -- 7 Cache

Jack Daw [10ss]

Stitched Together [5ss]

The Hanged [9ss]

The Hanged [9ss]

Me

Viktoria -- 6 Cache

Von Schill [9ss]

Convict Gunslinger [5ss]

Taelor [8ss]

Now his list has a smaller amount of models but each one is so devastating to any crew that you have to find a way to strike first. My crew was built around things I mentioned before but sadly in this case, there is no immunity to Terrifying :frusty:

So Turn one starts and he moves up the table, I do the same. Second Turn is when things started to go crazy. I almost my entire hand (five cards) and draw into 4 masks (4, 6, 9, 11) so I decided that this was the moment that I had to go in and break that bubble of nasty.

I purposefully move up to the line, but he does not take the bluff. instead he stays within 6 inches of the Marker and gets ready for my attack from either direction. I play along as I have to use up his activations. By the time the Viks go he is waiting for it.

After the switch push shenanigans with the Viks, charge into a mess of Terrifying, Resuscitating Gamblers, and lets not forget Pandora the official PITA.:wacko:

I set up at least 3 - 4 Whirlwinds with a mix of stones and Cheats. I kill the only available Hanged in her side and take down the stitched to one. Then I make my first mistake. I use up a Whirlwind on Pandora, who has been waiting for this specific moment. Lesson learned, I attempt to wipe out his hand first by continuing the Whirlwinds between Jack and Stitch.

Between these attacks Jack Flips the Black Joker!:tea::adore:

I take control of him after I take Pandora to one hand. At this point I decided to stop the Whirlwinds since I needed to cheat the 9 of Masks on my hand. I use a stone to pass a damage flip from the stitched and took the second one. Activate Jack Daw and Cast Hangman's Knot so I could cheat the Nine and hope he can't cheat it with his Last card. I luckily flip the 12 of Masks instead and Bill is forced to kill the Hanged.

From this point on, Nix uses every single stone every round to the very last, to keep me away from the center by making me Fall Back by using his Cast Trigger. I keep rushing back and eventually I get to the center of the board with at least 3 models to his 0 (half inch out). Game ends and I end up with a 6 - 2 Win.

Hardest game I had all weekend...:saint:

Edited by DarcXON

Great write up Dixon. The problem with being a judge is you don't get to really watch any games that intently. I didn't even realize you had Levi in round 3.

Thanks Dan! :bigthumb:

I was decided on between two list when going onto turn three for Contain List. The Vik list was in case I fought Neverborn, in almost every other instance I try to go with Leveticus since he can take down Masters with his crazy spell list.

In case anyone is interested, most of the game, my opponent and I had to use our "high" cards mostly for defensive flips. At most we had two High cards in hand. The difference to this is, Leveticus has Death Lessons, which lets me to stack the top three cards. This allowed me to put a High card second, so I could cheat the low card (the card I put on top) and stone into the next card (high card). It makes it really hard for people to cheat that, they usually prefer to prevent some wounds.

Edited by DarcXON

Our game was a great game, one of the most challenging ones all weekend.

I will only correct 1 thing in his final report. The model count at the end was actually 1-0, with his other 2 models and mine each half a base out. For Claim Jump, models must be completely within 3 inches and we were both struggling around that final objective!

Great game and great challenger. Dixon's win was well earned and his score shows it.

Nice write-up Dixon. Just to pick your brain a bit, but have you still found Levi effective after the V3 card? Stacking the deck and knowing what your stones are buying is amazing, but I've just been struggling to keep him alive lately unless the board is designed for waif-hiding...

It's a shame we didn't get a chance to play each other in the tourney due to my utter failure to max out my wins, but I'm sure I'll run into you soon enough!