What is your least favorite game?

Just wondering if any one has played any games that are just AWFUL?

We all talk about cool games but you never hear anything about really bad games ( though that may be because the companies don't stay around very long). I am very interested in any stories people may have with regards to this.

peace out,

AZ

Just wondering if any one has played any games that are just AWFUL?

We all talk about cool games but you never hear anything about really bad games ( though that may be because the companies don't stay around very long). I am very interested in any stories people may have with regards to this.

peace out,

AZ

Rackham Confrontation had awesome sculpts, but the rules were terribly convoluted, when compared to more familiar systems.

Also, I find Infinity and HellDorado to be in the same basket.

Rackham Confrontation had awesome sculpts, but the rules were terribly convoluted, when compared to more familiar systems..

This.

My gaming got into Confrontation and we spent ages getting used to the rules just as Rackham went bust (the first time :| ) then they came back with those pre painted....... things.

James.

Uncharted Seas when it was first released. They had no ruling control, no errata, nothing that even made sense. They literally said "It works however you want it to work" to a critical question on the firing arcs on the ships.

They have gotten a lot better with the new book at least.

Rackham Confrontation had awesome sculpts, but the rules were terribly convoluted, when compared to more familiar systems.

Also, I find Infinity and HellDorado to be in the same basket.

conf 3 was an awesome game (well still is), not sure what was so convoluted but i love it...

back on topic though, my least favourite game is probably 40k, not just to pick on GW, but because picking up 100 dice isn't fun for me :)

HellDorado was a good game, but yet again the publishers screw it up...

My least favorite game, now, is probably warhammer fantasy. The new rules just made the game..........MEH!! I know about half the fantasy players at my lgs quit playing fantasy and literally started playing malifaux. There are at least 15 casual players now, and 25ish people who play from time to time/ overall. Its hard keeping up with everyone. Lol. But its what henchmen do, and I'm proud of it. :)

Board or Mini?

Board games I think are bad: I'll probably get lynched for this, but Battlestar Galactica. I didn't get into the series so the nuances of the game were lost on me. Combined with the fact that this game will take an entire night just kills it IMO.

Mini... tie between 40K & Dystopian Wars. I'm a big fan of Uncharted Seas, and from what I've read I'd probably enjoy the hell out of Firestorm, but the games I've seen of DW simply don't work for more than one theatre, two at most (air + sear or air + land). Just too top heavy with all the counters and other tracking info. 40K... yeah, the less said there the better really.

Quest for the Dragonlords is one of the worst games I have ever played. A friend won a copy, and we played it once. Sort of. Three hours in, no one was even close to winning, and the rules were such a mess that we weren't even entirely sure we were playing it right. Mind you, we've played just about every game that's come our way, and never had trouble figuring them out. So we quit, put it away, and have never tried it again.

Board games: I loathe the bidding/negotiating mechanic used in many European board games. Ra, Settlers and others just turn me off not so much by the rules but the mechanic of the game itself.

Miniatures: All mini games have their advantages and disadvantages. Ok, being diplomatic with that statement. Crimson Skies comes to mind of a FASA game that was just clunky and not intuitive. Perhaps because I played Interceptor before Crimson Skies, I wanted a wiring diagram-like damage chart on my WWII alt-history plane and I didn't get it so I didn't like it as much.

Here's a list of games that have become topheavy with their rules/balance and I've stopped playing them:

WHFB

Mordheim

Necromunda

Dune the CCG

*shrug*

conf 3 was an awesome game (well still is), not sure what was so convoluted but i love it...

back on topic though, my least favourite game is probably 40k, not just to pick on GW, but because picking up 100 dice isn't fun for me :)

The magic in Confro was similar to armour and damage in ADnD 2.5... unneccessarily convoluted.

And how can you not pick up 100 dice? How small are your hands?

Mordheim, without question.

My local gaming group picked it up for a short while. Being someone who likes playing with my local game group (I'm more of a 'Blood Bowler' than a 'gamer' really) I grabbed a gang for it.

I lost my first 8 games, 6 of them on a single dice roll.

Let me say that again. I lost 6 games on a dice roll.

Never mind the fact that in most of those 6 games I had beaten my opponent so badly there was no way they would be able to fulfil their own victory conditions (get 2 of your 12 minis off the table, for instance, when I killed 11 of his models), I lost the game because I had lost a quarter of my gang and was making "loose the game" dice rolls along with my opponent because they hadn't built in any time limit mechanics for the game. Either you make your victory conditions and win, or if you loose 25% of your minis your gang "bottles out" on a dice roll and you lose.

Just thinking about that game (well, mostly that one mechanic) makes me annoyed now. I'm so very thankful that my group never stuck with it.

I use to be a Rifts fanboy when I was young and stupid. I think that says enough.

Come now.. we were all Rifts fanboys when we were young and stupid.. the Glitter boy sounded like such a good idea in the pre-twilight days

I am not a card game fan. So things like Dominion are always a "nrrrgghne" for me

Hands down it is Captain Novolin.

Captain Novolin Video play

Captain Novolin is a so-called Superhero (actually a cleverly disguised product placement for Novolin Insulin) who's only weakness is sugar, eating too much, not eating enough, taking too much insulin, not taking enough insulin, and not exercising enough. He's also got all the same super powers as Batman, but lacks the gadgets and training.

This game is offensive to me on so many levels, as a gamer, a diabetic, and as a human being.

Oh, and here's a link to prove that this game isn't educational.

Captain Novolin - Level 1

Edited by MrNybbles
Removed embeded media

Hands down it is Captain Novolin.

Captain Novolin Video play

Captain Novolin is a so-called Superhero (actually a cleverly disguised product placement for Novolin Insulin) who's only weakness is sugar, eating too much, not eating enough, taking too much insulin, not taking enough insulin, and not exercising enough. He's also got all the same super powers as Batman, but lacks the gadgets and training.

This game is offensive to me on so many levels, as a gamer, a diabetic, and as a human being.

Oh, and here's a link to prove that this game isn't educational.

Captain Novolin - Level 1

I, too, have diabetus (pronounced like Wilford Brimley does). That is horrid and disgusting.

My least favorite game, now, is probably warhammer fantasy. The new rules just made the game..........MEH!! I know about half the fantasy players at my lgs quit playing fantasy and literally started playing malifaux. There are at least 15 casual players now, and 25ish people who play from time to time/ overall. Its hard keeping up with everyone. Lol. But its what henchmen do, and I'm proud of it. :)

Dunno what you're smokin' but I love the new WHFB rules. Could just be preference, to each their own.

I've come to really dislike the evolution of DnD over the years. Things became to simplified and formulaic. It turned from an RPG into almost solely a combat gaming system IMO.

I think 8th WFB got some things right and some things wrong. Magic is too OTT and great weapon hordes and artillary are too awesome as well. Skirmishers and BS ranged weapons are a little too neutered right now. Terrain is just useless too. It's fun but it feels a lot more simple to me then it was.

As far as bad games, I'm really surprised nobody has said Warmachine or Hordes. I've been involved with it since the Escalation book and I'd say easily 9 of my 10 worst gaming experiences have come from one of those two games. The retarded level in those games is off the charts. Then they fix most of it for MKII then go right about running it as fast as they can in that direction before the 2nd MKII book is out. The last game I played, I lost over 2/3 of my models by the end of the 2nd turn and my opponent literally killed more of my models then he rolled dice. The 2nd turn he had to roll a grand total of 3 dice twice and otherwise I lost around 20 models. We had several new players checking out the game for the first time and not a single one of them was interested in playing it after we were finished. Killed my interest in the game too.

Also doesn't help that I feel like their models' quality has been going down the crapper too recently. They just can't proportion right and things just look goofy. The new war engines look terrible and the price tag to them is hefty. I can get an entire 35SS crew for the cost of one of those war engines.

I use to be a Rifts fanboy when I was young and stupid. I think that says enough.

WOW

I'm a bit crushed...

I never really liked it. When it FIRST came out I created a Juicer. I gave up on it within two sourcebooks though.

As far as bad games in my books....

WarMachine and Hordes. I'm not sure what got in me about the games, I just find them to be poor. It might be some company stuff, which I have a hard time differentiating.

I don't care for most of the GW rules sets now. I LOVE their plastics, and I even enjoy mass combat, including the stuff in fantasy. I just don't care for a lot of the rules, and rules support.

Tetherball. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it... It's not a game - it's a medieval torture device planted on school playgrounds by SkyNet in an attempt to decapitate John Connor. <shudder>

Wait, that isn't what you meant?

Probably 40K. Pretty models, no game balance, no maneuver, no tactics, just stand there and roll buckets of dice at each other. It's bad enough as a game in and of itself, but seeing such a bad game suck so many gamers away from cheaper, better games just drives me nuts.

Expanding (sorta) beyond minis, it would have to be Magic and anything from WizKids. There's a special place in hell for whoever came up with the idea of peddling "collectible" games to the obsessive gamer crowd. I wish they'd get over the pretense and just start selling packs of 10 rare cards for $30 - it would save a lot of trees, but probably be a bit too honest.

I've come to really dislike the evolution of DnD over the years. Things became to simplified and formulaic. It turned from an RPG into almost solely a combat gaming system IMO.

What's funny about that is I've played DnD on and off since '83. I love the newest edition BECAUSE it cleaned everything up so nicely. It simplifies what used to be a mess and leaves tons of opportunity for roleplaying. The problem is some see it as a "tactical game light" making it really tempting to min/max even more than ever.

We ran a seven month campaign in 4E. We did a lot of roleplaying, even with the 13 to 21 players we had per session because it's so clean.

I can see the validity to your complaint, I'm certainly not trying to knock you for it!