Talking about Ryle...

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all,

important things first: I really dig the Ryle model! It´s just an awesome sculpt, I want to get one, paint it and play it.

And here the object of this thread starts to grow...

1. What is a good crew to field Ryle with?

2. Should I get the Luscius boxed set? Lucius is some really cool looking model too and I can easily imagine painting both, Lucius and Ryle.

3. If I go with Lucius and Ryle – what other models do I need?

4. What´s with the well known Guild masters (Perdita, Sonnia, Lady J) – which of them is a good master for Ryle, if any?

5. I´ve already seen the "7 shots from hell" thread regarding Ryle and Hoffman, therefore there is no need to talk about Hoffman againg here.

Thanks for all your input!

ZK

I'm planning to run him with Hoffman, as you already pointed out. ;)

He does work pretty well with Lucius though. You can't get some of the Guild Guardsman bonuses that many of Lucius' other minions can use, but Ryle pretty much doesn't need them anyways. Lucius' Reinforcements spell can be really awesome to bring Ryle up close, and then you use his (0) for the 4" push, leaving you probably right on top of an opponent and ready to unleash hell. Works quite well.

Ryle probably has the second biggest bullseye on his head next to Samuel. Ryle has a lot of wounds and armor. He takes a lot of effort to take down. His damage output has a very large range, 1-16. His lower CB 5 means that he likely only doing a minimum amount of damage.

1. He can fit into any crew configuration. It is important to know the roles he would fulfill in a crew. Great hit and run minion and he also is a fairly fast firing platform. He is great at creating a firing lane and moving in and out of LOS. Most importantly most people fear him.

2. Lucius is a great Henchman and if you ever plan running him his box set would be great.

3. Lucius as a master means you would run Ryle with Guardsman. A good example of this would be.

35 ss

Henchman

Drill Sergeant 3ss

Guild Captain 7ss

Ryle 8ss

Guild Austringer 5ss

3 Guild Guardsman 12ss

4. Ryle can run with any master. For me he as much as auto include as Nino is in my guild lists. I usually won't take both just one of them.

5. His synergy is best with Hoffman though. Any good Hoffman list will likely include Ryle.

Thanks for your answers!

I'm planning to run him with Hoffman, as you already pointed out. ;)

5. His synergy is best with Hoffman though. Any good Hoffman list will likely include Ryle.

Well, I think that I´ll start with Hoffman then. Hoffman, Ryle, some arachnids – which I really dig modelwise, too – should give me some nice forces. Though these models are pretty expensive.

ZK

Keep in mind the arachnids cost 1 ss more per model because you are hiring outside your faction. This means hire a swarm for 10 instread of 3 little ones for a total of 12.

Hunters are great additions for Hoffman.

Keep in mind Hoffman can work with any guild model. You don't have to run a pure construct crew. You can take Nino or some death marshals if you want.

That's just the guild disadvantage, quality over quantity. And plus Hoffman has far more synergy with constructs around him when he does with the other guild models. Also I hope they add the whole "at no additional cost" thing to his Ties, cause that just seems silly that he spends 4 for the better totem -.-

That's just the guild disadvantage, quality over quantity. And plus Hoffman has far more synergy with constructs around him when he does with the other guild models. Also I hope they add the whole "at no additional cost" thing to his Ties, cause that just seems silly that he spends 4 for the better totem -.-

If it's better.. It makes sense to pay more.. No?

Also I'll agree with Mr.B that beyond the first few constructs there's no reason not to bring flesh minions thereafter.

Death Marshals should go well with him, I imagine, to add a little more ranged capabilities to the crew (which wouldn't really contain anything at all without the optional Ryle).

Hoffman constructs suffer from being out activated every turn. His low count can really hurt so addung in some stalkers, marshals, or guard can help.

Not sure if I fully agree with that though. If you need more activations, bring a Spider swarm and scatter it. Plus, you're likely to get an extra activation each turn with Override Edict as well. Granted, that one is a simultaneous activation along with Hoff, but it's still an extra go around with some piece during the turn.

Spiders run around 4 a pop they help with synergy but are no where near as versatile as the marshals or stalkers.

Because if that I doubt I will run spiders.

I do agree that Stalkers or Marshalls could be worth it, but I also think "Why not run things that have better synergy with my Master?"

And Spiders would not be 4 a pop. They would be 3.333.....

You hire a Swarm for 9 points, and then have it scatter on the first turn if you need the activations. Even so, running Ryle + 2 Guardians, and then fill out with Totem/Watcher, etc. you can easily have 6-7 activations still. Not really that much less than many other crews. My Showgirls crew rarely starts with more than 7-8 models.

Not sure if I fully agree with that though. If you need more activations, bring a Spider swarm and scatter it. Plus, you're likely to get an extra activation each turn with Override Edict as well. Granted, that one is a simultaneous activation along with Hoff, but it's still an extra go around with some piece during the turn.

Some thing to keep in mind first turn this does not help at all. Spiderswarm that breaks up all 3 sub parts activate right away.

Also With the no attacking your self thing your probably not going to be using overriding edict each turn. it needs a mask to cast and imho a bad option to have your master every turn just to give reactivate. It can be useful but I would not be using it every turn.

Also nice thing with hoffman is even tho he goes great with constructs he does not actually need more then one. He works great just pairing him up with a peacekeeper and you can then take any thing you want. Peacekeepers moment and Hoffman very nasty close combat make for one hell of a team. Try a peacekeeper nino and a bunch of stalkers it makes for a very solid crew.

Edited by tadaka

Some thing to keep in mind first turn this does not help at all. Spiderswarm that breaks up all 3 sub parts activate right away.

Where are you getting this? You summon the three individual arachnids into base contact before you remove the Swarm. Then you'd have to activate those individual ones at a later time, with each of them having Slow due to Summon.

Anyways....I can see running non-constructs with Hoffman, but I guess my point was that if you already have Ryle in the crew (since that was the focus of this thread, which has gotten rather off topic, haha), then I'm not sure you really need a whole lot else in terms of ranged support. At that point, you might as well stick to Constructs, since they have better synergy with Hoffman than Stalkers or Death Marshalls would. It's not that they have bad synergy, it's just that they don't have as much synergy as Constructs do.

And if you're running 3 Constructs next to Hoff (easy to do with Totem and Guardian + something else), then you only need a 7 :masks or higher to pull of Override Edict. Sure, not something to depend on every turn, but definitely worth using every time you can mange it. Getting another full round of shots out of Ryle? Yes please!

Small book page 38

The replacing model(s) continues the activation using the using any general AP the replaced model(s)s had remaining.

(Edit NM did not notice forming the swarm is replace and the small ones are summons. I stand corrected)

"And if you're running 3 Constructs next to Hoff (easy to do with Totem and Guardian + something else), then you only need a 7 :masks or higher to pull of Override Edict. Sure, not something to depend on every turn, but definitely worth using every time you can mange it. Getting another full round of shots out of Ryle? Yes please!"

Ryle is a perfect example of why not to do this. Instead of giving Ryle reactivate and making 3 shots give him 3 shots that have 1 more CB and Crit strike.

Edited by tadaka

Ryle is a perfect example of why not to do this. Instead of giving Ryle reactivate and making 3 shots give him 3 shots that have 1 more CB and Crit strike.

I assume you're accomplishing that by using Tap Power and then Machine Puppet 3 times? Why not just do Override Edict and then Machine Puppet once. You get 4 shots.

Honestly though, it probably is a toss-up as to which is better. The real power in Override Edict is if your opponent happens to have a construct that you can use against them, or cause to activate earlier in the round, thus giving you the activation with that piece for this round, while your opponent gets nothing.

I love Ryle but there is one faction I would not put him my crew and that is the resurrectionists. He does best if he can have a straight flip, but when he shoots hard to wound and 5 def models he is unlikely to get the extra damage flip.

His threat comes from up to 4 damage flips, but that only happens with severe flips. Try a severe damage flip with 2 negative twists. I wouldn't even include him with Hoffman against a resser crew.

At best he will be doing 1-2 damage and getting slaughtered in melee. Not to mention the lose of the push because he is facing non-living.

I make the claim more you know the faction you are up against before crew selection. He will never be in against ressers but I wouldn't automatically reject him from a neverborn opponent. Though Pandora will smear him, he is a fair counter to alps. If I knew I would face Pandora I would not take him, but against the faction he might find his way in.

Maybe I'm looking at this too narrowly, but I think that Ryle could potentially be a Pandora killer. Wouldn't Breach Psychosis trump her Expose Fears talent allowing Ryle to target her directly without the WP check. So depending on range and distance from Hoffman, he could pull of quite a few gattling gun shots.

I know that the -3WP prior to killing a model might trump that fact....Just throwing it out there.

Something else I discovered last night was that Ryle really sucks when attacking models which have higher Defenses than he did. We were playing a basic 25 SS game between the Hoffman Box set + Ryle vs. Colette's Box Set. Ryle couldn't hit Cassandra to save his life. And most of the time, it had nothing to do with Cassie using SS to boost her Df flips. Even with the extra +1 Cb from Machine Puppet, I still missed several times. I ended up winning the game with Hoffman (down to 2 Wds) and the Guardian left. But man...it was close. Ryle did well at wiping a Performer and a Mannequin off the table, but beyond that, he didn't do all that much. I was somewhat disappointed.

I know in another game going at a neighboring table, Ryle got annihilated by Hamelin's rats. Ryle kind of sucks when all he can target are rats which are just going to respawn again. :(