A Black Day, FINAL PART (4)

Absolution Black

As in the title, this is the fourth and final part of Book2: A Black Day. Hope you have enjoyed this book, and apologies for the delay in getting part 4 to you.....holidays are so inconvenient!

It's a lengthy one, but hopefully entertaining!!

Part 4

“Let me past, Knoffler” growled Black as he made his way to the door. “I have business to attend to”.

“You mean those coaches rapidly disappearing down the street? You may be fast Absolution, but not that fast”.

Captain Knoffler stood aside to let Black through onto the street outside. Sure enough, the coaches had disappeared and with it, the immediate chance to solve the problem once and for all. Black could feel the rage building inside him and leant against the wall, taking deep breaths and feeling the anger subside. All the while the Captain poked around at the body on the stairs, looking in the pockets and slipping anything valuable he found into his own trench coat.

“I see you still have no respect for the dead then Knoffler”.

“The way I see it, is these poor souls have no need for these trinkets now, so why not take them to a good home”. Knoffler pocketed a gold watch on a chain from one of the jackets.

“Such as the Pawn shop eh?” Black couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. The exertion of the past few minutes had caught up with him, and he could feel sweat form on his brow.

The captain surveyed the seen as he made his way further inside, his fingers touching the bullet holes on the wall. Black watched the Guild officer as he made notes in a tattered book retrieved from the long grey coat. Turning his attention back to the street, he noticed a large crowd had gathered across from his house, no doubt attracted by the gunshots and the heavy Guild presence. Several guardsmen were cordoning off the street around the building. He noticed Lydia and Abernathy lurking out of plain sight in an alley opposite and acknowledged them with a slight wave.

Knoffler stepped out of the house and pulled a cigarette from his pocket, striking the match on the wall and lighting it.

“So, just the five bodies this time?” He coughed, “You’re slipping”.

“I guess you have to call this one in?” Black suddenly realised he was still clutching his revolvers and holstered them quickly.

“Luckily for you, you have friends in high places. This will all be handled……discretely”.

Knoffler watched as a large wagon pulled by four horses pulled into the kerb alongside the door. Two Guild officers climbed off and moved through the open doorway, nodding to Knoffler as they passed. A couple of minutes later they reappeared carrying one of the bodies wrapped in a dark cloth between them. It was unceremoniously dumped into the back of the wagon, no doubt to be disposed of in the morgue, as if they had never existed.

Knoffler turned to face Black again, puffing plumes of grey smoke into the air.

“I’m not going to ask what this is about Absolution, but one things for sure, you can’t stay here for a while. Not that I’m concerned of course, but perhaps you should lie low for a while, leave the city maybe”.

“Thanks for your concern Captain, but until this business is finished, I’m not going anywhere”.

Black strode passed the guardsman and headed across the street towards the alley where his colleagues waited. As he watched him go, Knoffler called after him.

“So, I guess I can expect more clean-up calls then!”.

Black watched the Hotel lobby from outside, keeping his hat brim low to hide his face. He didn’t expect the Dometellis to be so stupid as to return here now they knew he was after them. Pulling his jacket tight around him, he motioned to Lydia across the doorway, who acknowledged with a nod. She pulled her hair down and ruffled it, straightening her tunic before walking briskly into the lobby. It was a big risk having her so exposed, Black realised, but she was the best option if this plan was to work. He watched as she swayed up to the desk, already capturing the attention of the young clerk behind it. She leaned on one elbow on the high counter, the other hand resting on her hip seductively as she began to talk. Black watched as Lydia did her ‘thing’, amazed at how natural it all came to her. No wonder the owner of the Star wanted her back so much, with her skills she would be bringing in the money all night. She could sell a drink to a priest.

He could see the clerk shaking his head and closing the thick book on the desk in front of him. Maybe this wasn’t going as well as hoped. Lydia changed tack and leant in close, whispering something into the young man’s ear. He watched as the clerk fiddled nervously with his collar and tie and then went into the room behind the counter. Lydia turned to smile at Black and winked, before returning to watch the clerk. Black just smiled to himself and marvelled at her talents. She could be a useful person to have around. He shook his head to rid himself of those thoughts. He had always worked alone, ever since….. He dismissed that memory from his thoughts and returned to the here and now.

Lydia was making her way back to the open doorway, smiling like the cat that has got the cream. She walked past Black and he broke into a slow stroll alongside her as they made their way down the cobbled street.

“They have been back already, and cleared their rooms. The clerk thinks they are still in Malifaux though as they were asking for recommendations of other establishments. He didn’t know where they have gone, but he is sure they will be at the opera tonight. They had tickets delivered yesterday.”

“That’s good news. Should I even ask what you said that convinced him to spill the beans?”

“I told him I’d put on a special show for him when he next visited the Star”. She smiled and tied her hair back into the ponytail.

Black allowed the crease of a grin to spread across his face.

“I guess I should get prepared then”.

Black watched the Black coach pull up outside the Opera house and sure enough the Dometelli brothers stepped out and made their way up the steps into the building. As the coach pulled away Black ran silently alongside it and gripping tightly onto the rail, swung himself up onto it. He pulled open the door and slipped inside to wait. However long that took.

Three hours later he heard the driver return and with a shudder the coach was moving swiftly through the streets. His plan hinged on the fact that this was the coach the Dometelli’s would use to return to their hotel. As the coach pulled to a halt, he peered over the edge of the tiny window and saw the Opera house illuminated nearby. He sighed. Well, at least he was in the right place.

Time seemed to slow and although it was probably only a few minutes since they had stopped, it seemed like hours. Black could feel the anger that had always plagued him begin to stir once more, and he made every effort to contain it. At least for now. He heard voices and the door opened. A large rotund man climbed in, followed by a thinner more greasy looking gentleman. The brothers Dometelli, Black grinned. As they sat opposite him, he raised his revolvers. That was the first time either of the men had realised he was even there.

“One noise from either of you and its goodnight” He growled. “Tell your driver to return to the hotel as if it’s just an ordinary night”.

He could see the beads of sweat forming on the brow of Lorenzo as Marco leant out of the window and instructed the driver to move. The coach rumbled into motion and Black sat forward out of the shadows.

“You worthless rat” Lorenzo spat, “You betray us and your honour with your actions”.

“I hardly think you gentlemen are able to speak of honour, but that’s another matter. As you know, we have had a difference of opinion over Lydia. I am here to ensure that difference ends tonight”.

Lorenzo laughed. A wheezy, sickly chuckle. “She is mine Black, and always will be. That Bitch is my property, and by the end of tonight she will be back with me, and you will be……..let’s just say, not a problem to me anymore”.

Black watched both men carefully, knowing their reputation for trickery. He knew he should have just pulled the triggers there and then but he wanted to know why Lydia was so important to them. After all, these thugs could get a girl from anywhere.

“Why all this trouble Lorenzo? Why is Lydia so important to you. After all, she is only a saloon girl”.

He saw Lorenzo laugh deeply as he leant forward.

“Just a saloon girl. Oh my dear boy, you have no idea. That girl is worth a lot of money to the right people, she has a gift. A gift that is both profitable and deadly”.

Black was curious to hear more, when out of the corner of his eye he saw Marco reach for his weapon. In the space of a few seconds the night took a nasty twist. Almost in slow motion Black pulled both triggers, the first bullet smashing into Marco’s chest, flinging him back against the seat, pools of blood forming on his crisp white shirt. The second bullet caught Lorenzo straight between the eyes, leaving a gaping hole that pored blood and brain matter onto the seat. As Black prepared to jump from the coach, the swaying leg of Lorenzo caught his arm as the body slumped. This caused the trigger to be pulled and the bullet shot out, through the ceiling of the coach.

Suddenly the carriage swerved hard and Black realised the stray bullet must have hit the driver. Opening the door he watched as the body of the coachman fell to the cobbles, crushed by the wheels of the coach. The reins snapped free from the horses, and with a sickening crunch the wagon broke free, twisting dangerously.

“That’s not good” cursed Black and he grabbed the doorframe ready to leap out.

A sudden bump in the road made the coach flip into the air and Black felt his head crash against the frame, and his world went dark.

Then the coach crashed over the side of the bridge and tumbled into the water below.

END OF BOOK TWO.

Criticisms and praise welcome. Book 3 to come soon!

Hayzel, if you haven't had THAT talk yet, I think you need to do some research on the internet. I believe there are countless sites around and they even have videos and pics to show you! ;)

And who said there was a follow up? I could just be teasing...maybe he's gone for good?

And I just noticed that your post count is 666...the number of the beast!! Aaargggh!

actually i think the sign of the devil is actually 555. I read it somewhere. :S and i dont need to look on the internet that the stalk brings babies when your asleep. Pregnancy is just an excuse for women getting fat. :) (apologies if there are any pregnant women reading this.. yes you absolution black...)

Huh? I may be an egg but I'm not carrying a chick! Thats such a bad yolk!

My insides are full of caramel goodness!

I surely like this forum, It is often nice when you can not just be informed, but also get entertain, from these form of forum, that is this kind of a great exhibit, honestly enjoying to observe this, good entry. Thank you and regards

Frostwire Download

Umm, If this is for real, thanks!

If this is a Spambot, Ummm!