Showgirls WIP

waferthinninja

I have my basic Showgirls crew (box + coryphee + doves) all based up and undercoated ready to go, I thought I would start a thread to track my progress in painting the harlots.

I got some painting time today, so started work on the main girl Colette:

5520650186_5c73e05837_m.jpg

Colette WIP by waferthinninja, on Flickr

(Click through for the horrible truths exposed by larger images! I think the small thumbnail looks more like it does in real life)

• 3 weeks later...

5571673729_5f7993be61.jpg

Colette finished by waferthinninja, on Flickr

I'm calling her done. Lots of little things I've noticed that I could fix, but I'm trying not to obsess over one figure for too long else I will never get the whole crew done.

The base is a bit plain, but I think with the whole crew mounted on them they will look good together.

Next up will be a Performer.

Eyes are always a nightmare! I used quite runny black paint at first so it would flow into the eye socket, then a tiny dot of off-white (tiny bit of yellow added so its not unnaturally white) to one side gives the effect of a mascaraed eye looking to one side. My figures quite often end up looking to one side, as its easier than making them look straight ahead (one white dot not two!), and adds a bit of expression and life to the face.

The eyeshadow was easy really - just a blue glaze to the rest of the eye socket. It was especially easy on Colette since the sculpt has quite a well defined socket. I actually thought I had overdone it a bit, slightly too tarty!

I have my basic Showgirls crew (box + coryphee + doves) all based up and undercoated ready to go, I thought I would start a thread to track my progress in painting the harlots.

I got some painting time today, so started work on the main girl Colette:

5520650186_5c73e05837_m.jpg

Colette WIP by waferthinninja, on Flickr

(Click through for the horrible truths exposed by larger images! I think the small thumbnail looks more like it does in real life)

Okay, I have to ask, What did you do for her stockings??? I have SUCH a hard time with the stockings, and I'm looking for any tips I can get. Thanks XD

The stockings were basecoated in a mix of black and Tallaran Flesh (about 50-50, can't remember exactly). Then I gradually added Tallaran Flesh to build up highlights, 2 or 3 iterations. The closer to pure flesh your mix gets, the more "sheer" the stockings will look. Rather than the normal highlighting where you think about where the light will fall/catch, with the stockings I was more thinking about the areas where the fabric would be streched most.

Always keep the paint watered down - way more than you would think. That's pretty much the no 1 tip that revolutionised my painting. It varies colour by colour, but generally I use about 1 part paint to 3 parts water. Skimmed milk is the way people tend to describe the consistency. If you use one of those pallettes with the dimples, you can draw the paint up the side of the dimple and it should be slightly translucent i.e. you should be able to see the white of the pallette through the paint. It takes longer as you typically need more coats, but it means you can build things up gradually, mistakes are easier to fix, and the end result is smoother.

The stockings were basecoated in a mix of black and Tallaran Flesh (about 50-50, can't remember exactly). Then I gradually added Tallaran Flesh to build up highlights, 2 or 3 iterations. The closer to pure flesh your mix gets, the more "sheer" the stockings will look. Rather than the normal highlighting where you think about where the light will fall/catch, with the stockings I was more thinking about the areas where the fabric would be streched most.

Always keep the paint watered down - way more than you would think. That's pretty much the no 1 tip that revolutionised my painting. It varies colour by colour, but generally I use about 1 part paint to 3 parts water. Skimmed milk is the way people tend to describe the consistency. If you use one of those pallettes with the dimples, you can draw the paint up the side of the dimple and it should be slightly translucent i.e. you should be able to see the white of the pallette through the paint. It takes longer as you typically need more coats, but it means you can build things up gradually, mistakes are easier to fix, and the end result is smoother.

Cool, Thanks!!

VERY nice. Much better than the makeup turned out on my showgirls. I'm looking forward to Book 3 hopefully releasing some more showgirl types so I can try my hand at some more makeup around the eyes, especially since I've learned a lot about painting in the last 6 months since I did Colette's crew. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your crew!