Book advice please?

Kds54

I've recently ran out of books to read and wondered if anyone could recomend any? I was looking for something in the fantasy/si-fi area. Though if anyone knows of any that are good for getting your malifaux jucies flowing that would be cool. Cheers all

King Rat, China Merveille

Perdita Street Station, China Merveille

Snow Crash, Neil Stephenson.

Diamond Age, Neil Stephenson.

The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and other unnatural attractions, Robert Rankin (because he's a really nice chap, and I enjoy chatting with him about ninjas and custard)

Start with Valis and then read the rest of Phillip K Dick's stuff. That ought to keep you busy for a while...and twist your mind.

Or if you're more interested in stuff that has influenced Malifaux, pick up a couple HP Lovecraft anthologies. I highly recommend reading them while sleep deprived and alone in a very quiet house. The shadows will start moving.

Start with Valis and then read the rest of Phillip K Dick's stuff. That ought to keep you busy for a while...and twist your mind.

Or if you're more interested in stuff that has influenced Malifaux, pick up a couple HP Lovecraft anthologies. I highly recommend reading them while sleep deprived and alone in a very quiet house. The shadows will start moving.

you can get a load for the kindle for £1.40.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Definitive-H-P-Lovecraft-Halcyon-Classics/dp/B002E19KU4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299266864&sr=8-3[/ame]

Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre - H.P. Lovecraft anthology by Del Rey. It is the absolute best collection of his works. Period.

Robert Heinlen's Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, and Glory Road make for good Sci-Fi/Fantasy reads, as well.

And, if you haven't read it, Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart is a good foray into horror goodness.

King Rat, China Merveille

Perdita Street Station, China Merveille

Seconding China Miéville. Perdido Street Station is a great place to start, and Iron Council is very Malifaux-y, with a steam-train/western feel to it. All his Bas-Lag books are awesome.

Only slightly Malifaux-related, but Mervyn Peake is my all-time favourite fantasy author. Very different from typical fantasy. Read Titus Groan and then Gormenghast. They're dense and wordy, but well worth it. Titus Alone (the third book of the Gormenghast series) is considered by many to be proto-steampunk, but is much weaker than the first two (partly because Peake was dying of Parkinson's while writing it).

print-final.jpg

Check out this graphic novel "The Stuff of Legend". It's a kids story on a similar level with Jim Henson's works like The Dark Crystal and Storyteller. It has enough substance to be very enjoyable even for adults. Sure, it's not packed with R-rated violence or anything but some of the characters and themes share similarities with the feel of Malifaux. Highly recommended!

I found Iron Council to be a bit er... too gay for me, and that's saying something from someone who has Exquisite corpse by Poppy Z Brite as one of his favourite novels (I think it got far too much in the way of the story). King Rat is great, it's all about Hamelin and Rats.

For a Sci-fi book, Hyperion by Dan Simmons is peerless.

For a Sci-fi series, Dune by Frank Herbert.

For a fantasy book (a King Arthur one) I can't go past Mists of Avalon by Marrion Zimmer Bradley (its a bit feminist, but brilliant).

Then there is my all time favourite fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, starting with A Game of Thrones. HBO are about to start showing that series, a trailer is here...

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19547.html

+1 to books already mentioned:

Dark Tower

Black Company

DsicWorld (great on audio)

Perdito Street Station

Song of Ice and Fire

Some Others I don't think have been mentioned:

Elric series (really any of the Eternal Champion books by M Moorecock)

Amber series by Zelazney

Name of the Wind (and Wise Man's Fear)

Sandman Slim

Dresden Files By Butcher (Fight past the first book and a half then you will read the other 12 in a month, great characters)

American Gods

Nightside series by Green (a little light on story but enjoyable, best on Audio)