Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

Well, I wonder about new form of Hamelin - not a good sign after all. What if other things like Avatar of Plague are buried under the Malifaux?

Eh.. How about picking up where Book2 left us then...

Like.. With.. The awesome two-pages artwork just before the epilogue showing a zillion zombies crawling up from the abyss..?

Edit:

Oh and apparently the zillion zombies also have the 'giant' characteristica..

Edited by Wodschow

On the whole Ryle and Hoffman thing -

Does Hoffman know that Lucius has Ryle? Or is Hoffman trying to protect his brother from Lucius? I didn't know that Lucius knew about Ryle but then I saw him in his boxset and it confused me somewhat.

Basically, who has currently got control of Ryle?

Now that's a good question.

It'll be addressed in the next book, for starters.

Last we saw him he was in Ramos' shop in Malifaux. Hoffman wants nothing to do with him. He's abominable to Hoffman. But Hoff still believes there was some Arcanist plot somehow at work that led to his condition.

How Ryle ends up where he does....well, you'll have to be patient. ;)

Been seeing this on other threads but hoping to get an answer. Is Lady Justice dead???

You just wanted to make Nerdelemental smile...

I'm very willing to talk but you know I'm going to be purposefully very vague about many issues that you want answers to if they're questions that haven't been answered. Like, "Where's the Breach?" and "What happened to Lady J" and stuff like that will leave me smiling.

Now that's a good question.

It'll be addressed in the next book, for starters.

Last we saw him he was in Ramos' shop in Malifaux. Hoffman wants nothing to do with him. He's abominable to Hoffman. But Hoff still believes there was some Arcanist plot somehow at work that led to his condition.

How Ryle ends up where he does....well, you'll have to be patient. ;)

I would like to say two things: thank you for getting my day off to a rip roaring start with that and damn you for being such a tease.

I would very much like to know a little more about Levi.

QFT

Clearly he's a key power-player in Malifaux, even if a lot of it is in the shadows but we know very little about him at all. We know he quite clearly will take up contracts with both The Guild and The Arcanists and that he is still independent enough of each to continue his own studies/research/mad-experiments but beyond that we know very little. Especially in the context of the crew he has available to him and that he must keep a lot of this very secret. Is this going to get some exploration in the coming books?

Been seeing this on other threads but hoping to get an answer. Is Lady Justice dead???

Well she did have a building dropped on her. So chances would be yes. Accept it happened right when the event happened so she could have hulked out and freed herself.

I doubt she's dead personally, just changed.

Minor criticism here (big surprise).

We know about Malifaux, we know about some of the movers and the shakers in the city, but we don't know how the majority of the city lives, really. What do the workers/miners/mooks do for entertainment? What do they eat? Where do they live? There are snippets here and there, but it'd be nice to get some more concrete information.

On the subject of food, does Malifaux ship in all its consumables, or are there things which can be grown/raised on the outskirts of the city?

I think the pace of the stories and their scope is too... stunted. I actually wish we had more Chronicles downloads, to both have room for the characters, and the stories, breathe.

I mean, both books together don't describe nearly enough characters, certainly not in a manner that allows to paint their personalities in more than the broadest strokes (2 paragraphs, honestly, and very "broad").

The books, on the same token, describe what, a period of roughly 1 month, 5 weeks, together? It feels a bit weird, as after I finished reading the first book's fluff I felt we were just beginning - and not the journey in the world, but the first chapter of the book. The events are too compressed, with not enough happening. Compare Zelazny to any of the modern "opus writers" (Jordan, Martin, etc.), he had a lot more plot in a lot less pages.

Also, the "Gorgon" makes me very curious, and I'm a bit peeved at how little was actually discussed as per the above, but it feels the leit-motifs may be a bit too strong.

Both appearances are tied to jewels, both have snake relations (the serpent, and the snake-hair manifestation), and both are tied to Resurrectionist women.

I won't be surprised if this is not coincidental, but it still feels a bit heavy-handed, considering the amount of room it does and does not receive.

I like the world, and I like the stand-alone stories that let it and the characters breathe a bit more, more.

I think the pace of the stories and their scope is too... stunted. I actually wish we had more Chronicles downloads, to both have room for the characters, and the stories, breathe.

I mean, both books together don't describe nearly enough characters, certainly not in a manner that allows to paint their personalities in more than the broadest strokes (2 paragraphs, honestly, and very "broad").

The books, on the same token, describe what, a period of roughly 1 month, 5 weeks, together? It feels a bit weird, as after I finished reading the first book's fluff I felt we were just beginning - and not the journey in the world, but the first chapter of the book. The events are too compressed, with not enough happening. Compare Zelazny to any of the modern "opus writers" (Jordan, Martin, etc.), he had a lot more plot in a lot less pages.

Also, the "Gorgon" makes me very curious, and I'm a bit peeved at how little was actually discussed as per the above, but it feels the leit-motifs may be a bit too strong.

Both appearances are tied to jewels, both have snake relations (the serpent, and the snake-hair manifestation), and both are tied to Resurrectionist women.

I won't be surprised if this is not coincidental, but it still feels a bit heavy-handed, considering the amount of room it does and does not receive.

I like the world, and I like the stand-alone stories that let it and the characters breathe a bit more, more.

I Agree, a novel or even a Novella that focuses more on a single person or aspet of malifaux would be good to see

I Agree, a novel or even a Novella that focuses more on a single person or aspet of malifaux would be good to see

So, something like a book of short stories or something? I know I'd want to read something like that. I have a shelf full of 40K and WHFB short story anthologies and I'd jump at the chance to do the same with Malifaux, especially considering that it, as a whole, has much more interesting characters than other miniatures games do.

Personally I just want more short stories like the ones in Wyrd Chronicles. I love short stories as you can generally read a good story without needing the half a dozen hours of reading a full novel requires.

Other than that, my question would be whether most of the factions are actually true factions. It seems to be that "factions" are generally just a group of people who are sometimes rather loosely associated (I get this feeling from Ressurectionists, Outcasts, and I have the feeling that it will be the same kind of thing with some NB casters such as the Dreamer) but generally share a lot of characteristics. Should factions be viewed generally as an organization or as people who seem to share similar goals and are grouped together even if some of them don't have much to do with the others? Or is it a bit of column A and a bit of column B?

We know about Malifaux, we know about some of the movers and the shakers in the city, but we don't know how the majority of the city lives, really. What do the workers/miners/mooks do for entertainment? What do they eat? Where do they live? There are snippets here and there, but it'd be nice to get some more concrete information.

On the subject of food, does Malifaux ship in all its consumables, or are there things which can be grown/raised on the outskirts of the city?

Currently the snapshots are there to give you windows into what goes on in Malifaux other than the Big Storyline.

The answer for the food question is: both. There is plenty of land outside of the City available for farming and ranching, both of which occur with increasing frequency as the lure of the Guild's Land Rush sees more settlers coming into Malifaux with each train through the Breach. Despite this there is plenty of food brought in via rail shipments. Most fills the Guild's needs, but some does make its way into the hands of the general populace.

Other than that, my question would be whether most of the factions are actually true factions. It seems to be that "factions" are generally just a group of people who are sometimes rather loosely associated (I get this feeling from Ressurectionists, Outcasts, and I have the feeling that it will be the same kind of thing with some NB casters such as the Dreamer) but generally share a lot of characteristics. Should factions be viewed generally as an organization or as people who seem to share similar goals and are grouped together even if some of them don't have much to do with the others? Or is it a bit of column A and a bit of column B?

Bit of column A and column B.

I don't actually think that's a criticism at all. I think Keltheos answered your question and if it's not known to everyone, he's as much an authority on the fluff background as me any day of the week.

Adding to what he mentioned, consider that the breach has been around for four years and the first wave settlers were miners and steamfitters and the second wave was Earth's convicts that were made into miners and other laborers. The Breach is recently opened to families but it's not been revealed how they're chosen to come through or why but the train's moving pretty regularly. Although there's a lot of families here now, you can sort of guess why there's a lot of taverns and seedy elements like ladies of the night - there's a disproportionate amount of dark, tough, ugly men that typically want more or less one kind of entertainment.

Yep.

Nathan, Eric, and I have had several different discussions about what kind and how much storytelling to offer. It's becoming more and more clear that you fans and players want more. We need to have some of those discussions more in earnest, probably.

Consider, though, that the company is smaller than any of you could imagine and everyone is working harder than you can imagine, too. The growth is great, but it spreads everyone more thin than we really want. But there are more writers on board now than there were a year ago and we're thinking about how to deliver more. It's good marketing and publicity and creates more enthusiasm. We know it. Stay tuned.

Thunder_God - you may still get irritated with me on issues like the Gorgon. It's very much like me to put out there what you've noticed - and then leave it alone for longer than you want me to. Sorry, bud. It's all in there for a reason, though. It'll not get forgotten.

So, something like a book of short stories or something? I know I'd want to read something like that. I have a shelf full of 40K and WHFB short story anthologies and I'd jump at the chance to do the same with Malifaux, especially considering that it, as a whole, has much more interesting characters than other miniatures games do.

Personally I just want more short stories like the ones in Wyrd Chronicles. I love short stories as you can generally read a good story without needing the half a dozen hours of reading a full novel requires.

see above.

Keltheos answered that one, too! Yeah, "factions" in most other games are very solidly "factions". Ours are a bit more realistic. At least from our perspective. These are individuals each striving for their own goals and objectives. Being part of the club is not necessarily their biggest thrill.

I would like to hear more about some of the "supporting" characters such as Joss, the Guild Executioner, Kade and the other models that see alot of play during the games but are semi-minimal in the fluff so far. Especially Joss since I know NerdElemental loves to play against him.

Yeah, yeah. I wish for that, too. See above.

I guess it's also worth noting that the story and chapters in the next book will be purposefully longer than chapters in previous books. I'm really trying to paint bigger pictures and include more of the secondary characters. But it may take a bit longer to get through than you're used to. I'm worried about that a bit also. Gamer attention spans and patience are about equal to a three year old's. I know. I'm one of them. Gamer. Not three year old. My wife may argue.

I hear she plays a mean game of pinball now

took the words right out of my mouth.

I have a question about Jack Daw, he is so iconic of Malifaux now is he one of the original inhabitants of Malifaux, came through when the breach first opened or something else? (I'm expecting you guys to say something else :))

Thanks for this thread Malifaux is such a rich and interesting setting that all these stories and more information really help build it to more than just a game for me. I know my wife cant understand why I'm reading the same couple of books a few times over and also the chronicles.