Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

The book 3 story about Molly implies that she was in the middle of other investigations when she died, and therefore she never completed them.
That is correct, and it was my setup for the Molly story. I wanted her out from Seamus' shadow, and to showcase her as a character in her own right, pursuing her own goals.

I actually think with hamelin in particular, that the lack of depth is intriguing. It makes him more of the mysterious badass that way...but....that's assuming there is more to him, which seems very likely.

That's what I'm hoping, but I won't be picking up a Hamelin crew until I know there's more to him (anything!) Same reason I've only just now got round to playing Marcus because until now I couldn't quite engage with him.

Umm...I thought the whole point is that it IS the apocalypse? 4 Horsemen and all that...

I get the underlining theme of impending doom that the unnatural weather and horsemen represent, but surely you can't string along the apocolypse for that long? I don't want it to be like a TV series where they have a big threat (literally the end of the world) and the good guys prevent it from happening, and then spend the next 10 seasons trying to come up with something just as dramatic.

I would like itif Wyrd did something completely different and the Horsemen and the weather represented something completely different. It's seems the aether is like a soulstone, the border between it and the real world being the shell. The Tyrants are trying to break the shell, and the weather and the Riders (who appear to be trying to fight the Tyrants, with Leveticus) are all consequences of the magic of the aether slipping out. We've been told the breaking of soulstones is a core of what Malifaux is. so this doesn't seem farfetched. However, how Wyrd can pace the story and develop it with enough progression, but also stability, I can't really say. By Book 10 I have no idea where we're going to be or whether I'll like it. I just hope it stays fresh, but apparently starting with the beginning of the end (in apocolypse terms) doesn't seem like a good start.

But saying all that I still have faith and accept my opinions are just that - we'll just have to wait.

Edited by ThePandaDirector

I get the underlining theme of impending doom that the unnatural weather and horsemen represent, but surely you can't string along the apocolypse for that long?

Well, if you want to get technical, Revelations actually suggests the Apocalypse is going to take quite a long time... It isn't all going to happen in a day...

At roughly the "end" of Revelations, Satan is imprisoned for a thousand years, while Christ and the Martyrs reign, then it jumps to him breaking out and being defeated again - kinda like a Tyrant I suppose.

Also, is Malifaux Babylon ;)

But overall, Revelations probably isn't the best example for the content or pacing of Malifaux, anymore than the Poetic Edda. Sure there's a great deal to be gathered from these resources, but they don't explain bad pacing. Not saying Wyrd are guilty of that, but they're at the stage roughly where they need to put people's minds at rest without rushing it (I don't envy them). The Tyrants, Riders and the unnatural maelstorm of the aether could prove to be absoultely amazing, but if they don't provide a tight enough hook or drag it out too long then the people who do jump to (negative) conclusions aren't going to wait around for the payoff.

Hamelin and Hoffman are at two opposite ends of the spectrum, one appears bland in character but cooly mysterious, while the other appears more alive, without the cinematic element. It goes back to the point of trying to combine deep period drama with anime levels of badass. It's hugely commendable, but it's hardly a done deal, and I feel like we've seen glimpses of the two in bed, but we're not yet at the stage where we're popping baby Jesus' left right and centre - Wyrd have the power.

I mean I doubt it's a coincidence Perdita is the Avatar of Revelations. I had the discussian with someone who thought the transition of seeing Terror Tots as nightmarish beasts, to them being babies abused by bad people, was too drastic. But I think that Perdita has been hunting monsters all her life and ultimately all that may change is who she judges to be the monster. It's cinematic, it's badass, but ultimately the payoff is not her Neverborn steed killing a Peacekeeper, but her relation to the Ortegas and how her badass endeavour is a dish served at the end of a hook of human empathy. The Ortegas are all that seperate Perdita from being like Justice, who was an anti-climax.

Wyrd have giving us badass (not necesserily big) and they have giving us deeper drame, but I can't think of any examples where the two have combined - closest possibly being Sonnia's storyline.

Malifaux ain't broken, it's not in danger, but it's not in full working order and once the two key elements are united then nothing will be able to stop it.

Well, if you want to get technical, Revelations actually suggests the Apocalypse is going to take quite a long time... It isn't all going to happen in a day...

If you want to get technical, the book is called "Revelation" not "Revelations". Sorry if I sound like a jerk with this. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

The title in the original language (Koine Greek) is actually the word translated as "apocalypse", which as a verb means litterally "to see". To see something is to have something revealed, hence revelation.

John (the author of Revelation) sees a vision and records what happens in it. The revelation of John's vision is where we get the name of the book.

If you want to get technical, the book is called "Revelation" not "Revelations". Sorry if I sound like a jerk with this. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

The title in the original language (Koine Greek) is actually the word translated as "apocalypse", which as a verb means litterally "to see". To see something is to have something revealed, hence revelation.

John (the author of Revelation) sees a vision and records what happens in it. The revelation of John's vision is where we get the name of the book.

That's a lousy apocalypse, especially considering how quickly we can rebuild. An apocalypse has to be fast and brutal, because if it isn't, then the Art of War comes into play, and it's no longer an apocalypse.

That's a lousy apocalypse, especially considering how quickly we can rebuild. An apocalypse has to be fast and brutal, because if it isn't, then the Art of War comes into play, and it's no longer an apocalypse.
Just you wait. That stupid Mayan claendar runs out next December, then: Zombie Apocalypse, baby!! (Of course, it's still my opinion that the guy chiseling the Mayan calendar just got fed up with it, and decided that the next generation could finish it up.)

Just you wait. That stupid Mayan claendar runs out next December, then: Zombie Apocalypse, baby!! (Of course, it's still my opinion that the guy chiseling the Mayan calendar just got fed up with it, and decided that the next generation could finish it up.)

Don't be silly, it ran out in December Beacuse that's when December will find a way to assend and cone to our earth and enslave us

It was actually finished, it's just that the thing is a circle, once you get to the end, it starts over again. They Mayan calendar is actually pretty smart, it doesn't foretell then end of the world, but of the calendar resetting. I'm sure they would update the thing... you know... if they were still alive.

Also: December couldn't enslave a squirrel at this point, he's lucky he can still talk. I don't think he will survive his next manifestation.

• 5 years later...

I briefly checked the forum rules and didn't see anything prohibiting thread resurrection. Anyway, I read a few pages of this thread. So many great criticisms and praise that I identified with but also a lot of diverse predictions for the ongoing story and lore. Looking back to six years ago, do people find themselves that the lore has met or perhaps defied their expectations? Are there particular criticisms that you still have, or perhaps some that have been addressed (such as bringing back the chronicles)?

• Like 1

@(Sarcasm)

No such rule. The worst consequence would be someone poking fun at you by calling you a resser, you filthy resser! :D

Not sure who nerdelemental is or if that person is still writing for Wyrd. Might want to find that out. A lot has alsohappened to these forums aince 2011.

Calling @nerdelemental! Where and who are you?

• Like 1