Inspiration for Characters

eturns

I think the alps are a stygian nightmare given form, not sure if there is another instance of this.

Acualy, I've read about vampires ages ago and it had a creature very similar to the alps in them, there were squat creatures that tricked people into home where it would jump onto the're chest and steal there breath

It also has many weakness that are norm with vampires, can't enter person house without permission and direct sun hurts.

Insidious maddness = something lovecraft

Lelu and Lilitu = incubus and succubus

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lelu is actually one of my favorites! It's a slight name change from Lilu, who is one of the original mentions of anything related to an Incubus. Lilu was Gilgamesh's father, who would come into womens rooms at night and seduce them. Lilitu was actually then derived from that as the female version who of course seduces men.

so I guess you could say incubus and succubus were inspired by Lilu and Lilitu...not the other way around ;)

Edited by EricJ

Agree with above, that surely Lelu and Lilitu are the Incubus and succubus from mesopotamian writings.

edit: as Eric has just confirmed doh!!

Also discovered that Lilith is known as the "First Mother" in Wiccan lore.

Nephilim seem to be connected strongly with Fallen Angels, which would make their appearance make sense.

Can't find any references to Nekima though.

Wendigo is obviously from myths similar to yeti etc, though whilst looking through lovecrafts gods the god Ithaqua ia also known as wendigo!

But on further reading could Ithaqua be an inspiration for December?

"Ithaqua figures prominently in Brian Lumley's Lovecraft-based Titus Crow series, ruling the ice-world of Borea. In Lumley's works, Ithaqua periodically treads the winds of space between Earth and Borea, bringing helpless victims back to Borea to worship him among its snowy wastes. He frequently attempts to reproduce with humanoid females, hoping to create offspring which can surpass his own limitations, imposed by the Elder Gods, and so help free the rest of the Great Old Ones."

Wendigo is obviously from myths similar to yeti etc

Simply put no, in fact it's sort Of cule to what the cult of December is based on, Wendigos

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo?wasRedirected=true

I agree, i never said the Nephilim were the fallen angels ;) just associated strongly with them!.

It's sort of close, when you think about it. Before the caticylism that destoryed Malifuax they were sort anglic, then they were twisted by a dark power that used to destroy the tyrant lords, I won't be surprised if one of the tyrants is called Draco Magnus

There are versions of the Lilith myth where after Adam, Lilith gets thrown out of Eden she becomes a consort to God and again gets banished for not being subservient. She vows to create a garden to compare with Gods, and it's this garden where demons come from as a parody of humanity. So I don't think the Nephilim of Malifaux are really fallen angels but it's very possible that Earth is Gods garden and Malifaux is Liliths and all the Neverborn are her children.

anyone else think she looks like nicole kidman?

Maybe; the younger, pre-Botox version of her. I had it bad for Kidman as a teenager. Then she went insane and married Tom Cruise.

The pic makes me think of a young version of Ann Margret.

AnnMargret.jpg

Edited by CMac

One which i suspect is quite obvious is the Freikorps (though saying this, the twisted minds of the designers could get inspiration from anywhere lol!)

As on Wikipedia:

Freikorps (English: Free Corps) are German volunteer military or paramilitary units. The term was originally applied to voluntary armies formed in German lands from the middle of the 18th century onwards. Between World War I and World War II the term was also used for the paramilitary organizations that arose during the period of the Weimar Germany. Freikorps units fought both for and against the German state.

Pretty much sums up the idea behind the Malifaux Freikorps.

Though i also seem to get influences from Dune in there too, I guess the suits they wear remind me a bit of those desert suits the Fremen wear!! Could be totally off track though.

Buckdog is very slowly painting his Freikorps in the original Freikorp uniform colours.

Corrected that for you !

I did a bit of research on the original Freikorp before I started painting; there are a number of units / regiments to choose from, which is quite useful if you are struggling for inspiration on how to paint yours.

My Freikorp are based on Von Schill himself :

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=Ferdinand+Von+Schill&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&safe=strict

So, blue jackets, grey trousers, black helmets and red, gold or white trim.