Women in Malifaux

Bartali

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it a little odd that in a game full of huge swords, massive guns and various rusty implements of death and torture that people are offended or concerned about a bit of leg and some cleavage.

It seems that death and violence is fine, but sex is a no-no.

Yes, it's a massive disconnect in our values these days, but it is what it is. Personally, I could care less, but when Mommy brings little Jimmy to the game store and sees a bunch of grown men pushing around tiny half-naked girls, things get awkward.

Plus, we're playing a war game here. Expecting there to be no violence would be like playing an h-game and expecting everyone to be prudishly covered and behaving modestly. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that a game's models wouldn't get one viewed as a creep. ;)

And Nathan, honestly, the Belles are one of the most covered-up models in the game and have frankly gorgeous period dressed on. It's not surprising that they have draw power. ;)

To be honest, yes. I think that this is one step off limit and definetly wouldn´t put this somewhere for kids to see.

But the quiestion is, what about blood and gore? Billy the Kid can have bad dreams from eg Lost love, if painted "properly"

One of our players just love to put guts and interstines nearly everywhere on the base and so on and yes...disturbing as well

I do find it a little odd that in a game full of huge swords, massive guns and various rusty implements of death and torture that people are offended or concerned about a bit of leg and some cleavage.

It seems that death and violence is fine, but sex is a no-no.

There is part to it that's American. It has been noted before, how no one bats an eyelash on the genocide performed by characters in D&D, followed by the desecration by robbing of the dead, and cheesecake gets everyone offended.

It is interesting. It's not wholly American, but in a way, Americans did continue some Victorian moral traditions, or the appearances thereof.

To be honest, yes. I think that this is one step off limit and definetly wouldn´t put this somewhere for kids to see.

But the quiestion is, what about blood and gore? Billy the Kid can have bad dreams from eg Lost love, if painted "properly"

One of our players just love to put guts and interstines nearly everywhere on the base and so on and yes...disturbing as well

Actually, I rather agree there as well; however, the topic of the thread is "Women in Malifaux," not "Carnage in Malifaux." ;)

People who go to either extreme of sexuality or gore (or both together, yikes) don't really strike me as the sort I'd like to have in my playgroup.

People who go to either extreme of sexuality or gore (or both together, yikes) don't really strike me as the sort I'd like to have in my playgroup.

Agreed !

And from a personal point of view, I am not a fan of over the top gore on miniatures as I think they look awful.

A subtle blood splatter on a single model is much more effective than gore and gizzards smeared over a whole crew.

I tend to find too much gore just looks messy.

Edited by Buck Dog

My wife LOVES the Malifaux minis. She loves all the female models. I sense a coat of shameful primer with a top coat of embarrassment semi-gloss. There is nothing wrong with the female form. There is nothing wrong in showing it. Strong, powerful women show off their assets.

If you think looking at breasts makes you a creep, then this may come as a shock to you. Every woman and some men have breasts. There. Take that in for a moment. Yes, it is true that females of most species have breasts. At some point, I hope you will be able to look at them and not feel embarrassed.

As far as the diorama. It's horrible, but I see the eldar as the only one to survive. The next Diorama should be the Eldar, topless and battered, standing over the guys with several of them shot and the rest hog tied.

Edited by Kaane Feinwong

My wife LOVES the Malifaux minis. She loves all the female models. I sense a coat of shameful primer with a top coat of embarrassment semi-gloss. There is nothing wrong with the female form. There is nothing wrong in showing it. Strong, powerful women show off their assets.

I'm very happy for your wife. Different people have different opinions. Some women believe that being "strong" does not mean dressing up like a male fantasy.

If you think looking at breasts makes you a creep, then this may come as a shock to you. Every woman and some men have breasts. There. Take that in for a moment. Yes, it is true that females of most species have breasts. At some point, I hope you will be able to look at them and not feel embarrassed.

Yes, I should be able to open a Playboy at my desk at work and not feel ashamed at all. I should be able to leer at women to my satisfaction without anyone reacting at all--after all, breasts are natural and there's no reason that I shouldn't be allowed to look at my leisure, right?

Different people have different comfort zones. Trying to mock people for that really isn't going to work. I am not comfortable playing with underdressed female miniatures in the presence of small children or those who would be otherwise offended by them. Go figure.

Underdressed for modesty sake? Hell, there are more women "underdressed" in my office building than in all of the Malifaux models combined. The Exception is Zoraida, but there is a close second to her in the office as well.

Go to a dance competition for seven to ten year olds, then come back and say they are underdressed for children's eyes.

Edited by Kaane Feinwong

Comments such as this do nothing but poison the atmosphere. Same as "Those who can't take a joke..." comments.

You're moving to make aspersions on people based on also their aesthetical and often fictional preferances.

If you make such comments, people will be defensive, and react as if you're insulting them. Because you more or less do.

Underdressed for modesty sake? Hell, there are more women "underdressed" in my office building than in all of the Malifaux models combined. The Exception is Zoraida, but there is a close second to her in the office as well.

If your coworkers are dressing like Taelor, Vicky, Rasputina, Colette, etc., then I seriously question where you work. ;)

Comments such as this do nothing but poison the atmosphere. Same as "Those who can't take a joke..." comments.

You're moving to make aspersions on people based on also their aesthetical and often fictional preferances.

Perhaps. That said, it is the truth--if you're going to gore up your models or play with a bunch of hyper-sexualized miniatures, I'd rather not have you included in a group. You could be the nicest guy in the world, but that still applies.

I've actually been in a playgroup where a young man was told "No, you can't use those models--bring something else if you want to play here." The guy was plenty nice, he just chose an unfortunate color scheme for his Redemptionists.

I've actually been in a playgroup where a young man was told "No, you can't use those models--bring something else if you want to play here." The guy was plenty nice, he just chose an unfortunate color scheme for his Redemptionists.

Your group wouldn't play with him because of the color of his miniatures? And you even acknowledged that the guy was "A good guy" Ahhh now I see the issue.

Your group wouldn't play with him because of the color of his miniatures? And you even acknowledged that the guy was "A good guy" Ahhh now I see the issue.

Firstly, I was not the person who told the guy in question not to bring his gang anymore, or to repaint them before they were brought back.

Secondly, I also wasn't the guy who painted his Redemptionists in white robes with Confederate flags.

Just because something is true doesn't mean it's wise to say it*. You know, just like saying you think someone is ridiculous for not liking something you think is harmless, like you pointed out above.

And with that, I'm out, cya kids tomorrow :)

* At least if your goal is to have a discussion rather than just to let us know how you feel.

If your coworkers are dressing like Taelor, Vicky, Rasputina, Colette, etc., then I seriously question where you work. ;)

Perhaps. That said, it is the truth--if you're going to gore up your models or play with a bunch of hyper-sexualized miniatures, I'd rather not have you included in a group. You could be the nicest guy in the world, but that still applies.

Maybe he works in the 21st century where women can dress how they like without being branded "harlots".

I'm glad I live in a sinful immoral place where we have freedom of expression.

Maybe he works in the 21st century where women can dress how they like without being branded "harlots".

I'm glad I live in a sinful immoral place where we have freedom of expression.

Walking down the street downtown in the fourth (fifth? I forget) largest city in the second largest country in the world, I oddly enough do not see any women dressed like any of the mentioned names.

However, I do see several female executives of large corporations who make more in a month than I do in a year. Typically, they are wearing a slightly more feminine version of the typical suit, or a blouse and skirt. These women are definitely empowered and successful, but for some reason, they're dressed professionally. Odd, innit?

It is called dresscode and it is part of corporation culture and structures and workplaces.There are places, where you can´t dress as you want. But do you know, how do these managers dress in their free time?

Hey, what about swimming pools?Disturbing!Beaches?As well!

JPRoth : Yup, KKK based models aren´t good, same goes for models with swastikas and so on...But it is another cup of tea, isn´t it?