Questions/Discussions about Puppet Wars

EricJ

5) What kinda board does the game use?

This one is a bit harder to explain, but it's not a static board.

yay for non static boards, been playing zombies!!! and last night on earth for a while and modular boards do TONNS! for replayability

but as a scenery enthousiast, will we be able to make boards a la contract town 27 (see sig) or is a grid involved?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, since the release of super dungeon explore, and this being a hit, i think PW`s is going to be their fiercest competition, good for wyrd!

I am imagining the game a bit like hybrid or tannhauser, probably in tiles with different environments, just 2 questions if i may ask, is going to be mission/scenarios oriented or just free for all carnage? and... does the word "relics" rings a bell here? if that`s so, is going to be a hell of a race =)

Edited by Xango

I'm a big fan of non-static boardgames as well. From Betrayal at House on the Hill to Dungeonquest, it makes for very diverse games. Having Schemes will make for even more fun as you try to manipulate and move through the board to achieve your goal. Nothing is more heartbreaking than being 1 tile away from victory to only flip that board tile to discover a dead end.

Course, it could also end up being a sort of random board like Last Night on Earth. That changes elements for each game but not nearly as random as Dungeonquest. But it would angle more towards ease of use for mass puppets.

Will you guys release creepy and horrible soundtracks like those that come with Last Night on Earth and A Touch of Evil? I always torture my friends with those songs when we play, lol.

Will the puppets get their own puppet versions?

This has been asked before and the result was an error of puppet-puppet-puppet-puppet-[infinite]...

(no)

Will you be making different PW card decks?

They already have. It's called Puppet Deck. ;) (or do you mean several different colours like the fate decks?)

Will the models be using the same three base sizes?

Can we cheat?

30mm for sure given the pics leaked, dunno about the rest.

Edited by Talishko

Is there going to be the opportunity to build a terrain board for puppet wars, or will it be a mainly flat board game style board that wont lend itself to modelling ?

There was a hint that the "board" would be more like a kitchen table (well Zoraida's kitchen table) since these are her puppets duking it out in her hut when she ain't a home. Don't know if that means we are making our own set ups or they have a layout that looks like that.

Must have puppet Panda Teddy...

This game sounds brilliant. Before Malifaux I'd always linked miniatures with dice, then Malifaux made minature gaming not only more approachable (I know a lot of people who play card games, whether it be Poker or Pokemon) and portable (a few models and a deck of cards is easier than a suitcase of models and dice (you also need enough space to roll those dice). Puppet Wars looks to be the ultimate travel board game, and the minatures look amazing as always.

I know there's all kind of legal tape but I'd love to make a Puppet Wars short film (already doing one with teddy bears :D)

Question: In terms of the board is Puppet Wars like Malifaux where a modeled table is desirable, or something where it could be easier to create on the go. From the size of the minis and the apparent scalability of its complexity (which sounds brilliant, reminds me of a creative version of chess) it sounds like the only thing that could prevent it from being a play wherever, whenever game is the board.

Sorry for the long post but I came accross Malifaux by accident and it slowly grew on me, suprisingly like the Godfather Trilogy, but this has gotten me excited from the start.

What are the target group for PW ?

Being a board game, will it be a game a familiy could play without everyone being into mini's ?

Or will kids (younger than 12 none english speeking, yet) be able to play it and have fun with it, or will it be to tactical.

Like my girl that is 9y. love my Mali figs, but the game is way over her head...

I am trying to find a way to lure her into miniature gaming, would PW be a game i could use for my evil plan, and maybe also trick my gf into playing with figs?

Or is this game more for the players that already need their fix of mini's from time to time ?

The goal is to make the game easy enough to learn for younger players. Now of course we can and will not market it to kids under 12 due to the small metal parts, and the laws involving small metal parts and kids. But the game itself should be straightforward enough to learn. However, an older player will likely have to take it easy on a younger player, because there will be rather deep elements in army creation and game play due to combinations and such.

This sounds excellent. My daughter will find this very interesting no doubt. Now if only I could playtest with her...:whistle:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I have 11 and 15 year old girls who are happy to play Ticket to Ride and Bang! with me but haven't made the cross-over to the mini games.

They have both painted some of my figs over the years so I'm sure I can corrupt them if we make the right gateway game. :)

The goal is to make the game easy enough to learn for younger players. Now of course we can and will not market it to kids under 12 due to the small metal parts, and the laws involving small metal parts and kids. But the game itself should be straightforward enough to learn. However, an older player will likely have to take it easy on a younger player, because there will be rather deep elements in army creation and game play due to combinations and such.

Are you saying that its not ok for me to cheat my daughter so i can win ? i was hoping to get some easy wins that way...

Well it still sounds great to me :)

Games like this are the best, because they're simple enough to teach to kids, yet skill based enough that I can slaughter them mercilessly until they don't want to play anymore. :)

well, ideally kids 12+ will be able to play (12+ because of the small parts aren't good for products for kids younger than that)

The board will be a bit more set than say, a Malifaux tabletop, but I that you'll find there will be options for personalizing a P-wars playing surface :D

well, ideally kids 12+ will be able to play (12+ because of the small parts aren't good for products for kids younger than that)

The board will be a bit more set than say, a Malifaux tabletop, but I that you'll find there will be options for personalizing a P-wars playing surface :D

I can't wait to see how it goes together!