A Miracle on Malifaux Streets

Andy_B

This is my first piece of fan fiction fluff taken from my blog

http://afistfulofsoulstones.blogspot.com

He knew the streets in this part of town were not the place to be at night. They were a dangerous place, even for a man like him, but his mind was made up. It was tonight or never. Seamus kept to the shadows as he skulked through town, his girls in tow. It wasn’t that they looked out of place; it was more that he didn't want to be seen.

The seedy underbelly of Malifaux came to life at night and Seamus and his Rotten Belles were no exception. Even though Seamus was the kind of person you’d cross the road to avoid there were some far more sinister creatures that inhabited the town now. Since those smaller breaches had popped up the Guild couldn’t control the flow of ‘Immigrants’ into Malifaux. Hell, they’d even been known to employ them from time to time but even the worst of worst looked both ways before crossing the road round here. He’d come here to recover what was rightfully his and no Guild Enforcer or Neverborn scum were going to stop him.

“Why are we hiding ourselves away like this? These are our streets!” Sybelle moaned.

Seamus stopped, turned, glared at her and then gave her a smack across the face with the back of his hand.

“Don't ever question me!” he growled through gritted teeth. “We want to take them by surprise not walk in singing Happy bloody Birthday”. He brushed the side of her cold face where he’d punished her. If she was alive she’d have bruised like a peach but as it was she hardly felt the impact.

The other girls knew better than to speak to Seamus like this but Sybelle had been used to handling strong men in her living days as a Madame and never worried about the repercussions.

“I was just saying, that was all” she hissed.

“Yeah, well just don’t OK. You got that Pumpkin?” he grinned.

She hated being called that. Seamus had found it funny that when he’d dug her up from the grave he wig had fallen back into the wooden casket exposing her large bald head. She was never what you would call a looker when she was in her prime. Some would say she’d been ‘tickled with the ugly stick’ - others would say she’d been battered round the face with it. “Bloody Hell!” he’d screamed “She looks just like a Halloween lantern!” and the name Pumpkin had stuck.

“Got it” she muttered under her breath.

As they walked through the streets towards the fountain where Seamus knew his ‘inheritance’ could be found he could feel eyes watching him. At first he was sure it was just his uneasiness playing tricks on him but the longer it lasted the more he knew something was amiss. Then he heard the voice.

“Hey Mister! Have you seen my friends?”

Seamus kept walking. What was a boy his age doing out this late at night anyway. The last thing he needed was the Guild sniffing around for missing kids.

“Hey Mister! I’m talking to you!”

Sybelle wanted to say something but then thought better of it. The girls dragged themselves along behind not quite managing to keep pace all the time looking at the kid with the blanket.

“Hey you! Yeah you with the hat”

Seamus stopped. He walked up to the boy, grabbed his blanket and threw it into the gutter. “Get lost kid! And keep outta my way if you know what’s good for ya”. That was when he saw them.

In the shadows. Behind the boy. The eyes. And the teeth. It was hard to make out exactly what exactly was the proud owner of those eyes and teeth but he knew it wasn’t worth his trouble stick around and find out.

“C’mon girls” he said brashly trying to hide the way he was really feeling. His head said run. Leave the girls. Plenty more where they came from. But he knew he’d need them if he wanted to get the package from the bottom of the fountain.

He turned to walk away an immediately wished he ran when he had the chance. There on the other side of the street was a little girl. She couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old but there was something much more sinister about her. Her eyes had a strange shape to them. Not human looking, although that in itself wasn’t unusual for Malifaux. It was just that they gave a much older appearance to her. Whilst he was staring into her eyes he just caught a glint of light shining off something in her hand. He couldn’t quite make out what it was but he knew it was time to move….. and fast.

“Going somewhere are we Seamus?”

Seamus spun his head so fast his hat fell to the ground. It was at that very moment, when he saw Pandora standing there blocking his way out that he realised that only a miracle could help him now.

Come Out Come Out Whereever You Are!

“I know why you're here Seamus. You didn’t honestly think that you are the only one who knows about it did you?

Seamus couldn't believe what he was hearing. He tried to process what Pandora was saying without physically showing any sign of weakness but it was an impossible thing for his mind to manage.

“Ah so you did? Really Seamus I expected more from a man of your reputation”

He was starting to feel trapped and desperate now. Where would he run? What could he do? How did she know? Who else knew? He never usually reacted like this. There was no situation that Silver Tongued Seamus couldn’t talk his way out of but this was different. He could feel her getting inside his head, warping his mind and making him weak. The feelings of fear and pity going round and round in his head and his strength deserting him.

Give up Seamus. Give up. You’re no match for her. Beg for a painless end!

He could hear the voices in his head taunting him. He’d never given up on anything in his sordid life but it felt like the only option at this moment. The more she spoke his name the louder the voices got and the more terrified he became, wondering what she had in store for him. He’d heard the stories of men tearing each other apart in her presence and the desperation that she seemed to bring to her foes but nothing prepared him for this encounter. Nothing could prepare him for what was to come.

“Can I have his hat?”

It was the boy.

“My friend would love a hat like that…. If I can find him”

Seamus couldn't understand the bravado of the kid just walking around in his nightshirt, talking to complete strangers like he didn't have a care in the world and asking for his hat. On any other day he’d have thrown the boy to the Belles but as he slumped to his knees, weak and powerless, he couldn't even muster a word.

“I like to play hide and seek here with him but I’ve been looking for hours and I can’t find him anywhere. I bet if you gave me that hat he’d come out”

Pandora couldn't believe this kid. Here she was with Seamus on his knees ready to fall and this brat wants his hat!

“Take it kid. Seamus won’t be needing it for much longer will you Seamus?”

Give up Seamus. Give up. You’re no match for her. Beg for a painless end!

There they were again. Stronger, more compelling with every chant of his name.

“Cheers lady!” chirped the kid picking up the hat from the road where it lay and giving it a quick rub with his blanket.

“Coppelius! COPPELIUS!” the boy sang. “I’ve got something for you. Come out come out wherever you are”

Coppelius? No it couldn't be. Seamus had heard the stories of Coppelius the same as everyone else but he’d never seen him. He knew the Guild was looking for him and so the last place he ever expected to see him was in Malifaux town.

Coppelius. Even Pandora was shaken. So much so that her hold over Seamus began to weaken. This was going wrong. That kid was going to mess this whole thing up. She grabbed the boy by the arm of his nightshirt and dragged him to her. She held him tight with a hand over his mouth to stop him yelling.

“No you don't little fella. We don't need any company right now thanks”

The boy struggled, wriggling and kicking to get free but it was no use. She had him held tight. It was at just this moment that Seamus began to feel her grip on his mind weakening. This was his chance to run!

As he began to pick himself up he glanced down the street where his Belles were. Bloody fools he thought. They were as vicious as they come but twice as stupid to boot. If he moved now he could make a run for it. He stood up and went to grab his hat from the boy.

“Mine I believe” he said grinning. He wasn't grinning for long

Just as he turned to run he was stopped in his tracks by what he saw. Pandora saw it too. She was rocked so much by what she was seeing that she forgot about the boy and he sprung free.

“There you are Chompy!” the boy squealed excitedly.

Coppelius wants! :D

Well Coppelius can't have!

Thanks for the support. Really enjoying writing it actually. I'm trying to write 2 different ways. This one is just evolving as I write with an end point I want to get to but no idea what direction it will take. The next story I have planned has very definite marker points through it.

Andy.