'The Circus is Coming to Town' (Tales from the Aether Part One)

Prunesquallor

(Note: To hear this story read by mistercactus, a trained Shakespearean actor, please tune into our Malifaux podcast: The Aethervox).

Colette Du Bois dreamed of a man with no arms throwing knives with his feet; a woman with long fur all over her body and teeth like blades; a pair of conjoined twins who shared a single pair of legs; a contortionist who could twist her body into impossible shapes; three tiny jesters in ridiculous hats with green skin beneath their face-paint; a mustachioed man with arms like tree-trunks who could lift anything; and at the center of it all a tall man in a red top hat with a dozen birds perched along his outspread arms.

“They’re back in town,” Colette told Cassandra that evening in the dressing room of the Star. “They won’t stay long. They never do. But for the next little while we can expect some competition.”

They parked their caravans in the Bonemarket district and put up the big top in Creepstone Cemetery. They tied guy ropes to tombstones and raised the red-and-purple tent over the wide, unmarked plots where paupers and vagrants were buried. They installed seating atop crypts and mausoleums. They set up a concession stand in the crematorium. A swarm of smaller tents sprang up around the big top where games could be played and fortunes could be won or lost or read or changed.

Three gremlins were spotted, sneaking around town, scrambling onto one another’s shoulders in order to nail posters to walls and posts and doors at (human) eye level. Their faces were white with stage makeup and they had huge, leering grins painted on in red.

The posters read:

The Legendary! The Great! The Amazing!

Mr. Magpie’s Cemetery Circus!

Incredible Displays of Strength and Skill! Spine-Chilling Feats of Death-Defiance!

Freaks and Aberrations of Most Unnatural Appearance!

Come One, Come All! Creepstone Cemetery! Limited Run!

In one corner was a map of the Bonemarket district, showing the location of the big top. In another corner was a humourous sketch of a zombie sitting in his coffin and the words: “Box seats available!”

That night, thefts and pickpocketings in the neighbourhood tripled. There were reports of birds stealing coins right out of the hands of street vendors and their customers. The Bonemarket was abuzz with danger and excitement.

Everyone was afraid of the circus; everyone was irresistibly drawn to it.

Mr. Magpie was sitting in his private caravan with his boots up on his desk, munching on a loaf of stale bread, when the Guild lawyer entered. Mr. Magpie’s flock darted about the cramped caravan, screeching and squabbling over breadcrumbs. He silenced them with a whistle.

“Please, take a seat,” he said, without removing his boots from the table. “You’re from the Guild, am-I-right? What can I do for ya’?”

The lawyer glanced down at the wooden stool. Like everything else in the caravan it was covered in fresh bird droppings, squashed feathers, bits of twig, leaves and other nesting materials. He remained standing. His smile was as false as the soulstones they were giving out as prizes in the gaming tents.

“Mr. Magpie. I am very pleased to make your acquaintance.” The lawyer’s voice was somewhere between a sneer and whine. He had the manner of a man who was never pleased to make anyone’s acquaintance. “I would like to welcome you to Malifaux on behalf of the Guild. Secretary Lucius himself sends his compliments. Your circus has a most singular reputation on both sides of the Breach. I look forward to attending a show....only, the Secretary asked me to ensure that all your paperwork is in order. Just a formality, of course. I would hate to think that you might be attempting to operate in our city without a license.”

Mr. Magpie threw some crumbs for his birds and they began to squabble and squawk again. On his desk was a bowl full of shiny metal objects—pocketwatches, coins, keys, jewelry, pins. “You tell your Secretary that Mr. Magpie’s Cemetery Circus needs no license. We go wherever we please and, if I may say so myself, we please wherever we go.”

“Haha, yes, I see,” said the lawyer. His laughter had almost nothing in common with genuine laughter. “I thought that might be the case. Unfortunately the Guild does not look kindly on itinerants who squat illegally on its properties. I expect you to be gone by sunrise. If you are still here I will have no option but to instruct the guard to remove you, by force if necessary.”

The lawyer paused to allow his words to sink in. Mr. Magpie just kept feeding his birds. After a while he made a circular motion with his hand, indicating that the lawyer should get to his point.

“However,” the lawyer continued, a little put out by the man’s impudence, “there is a possibility that we could overlook your transgressions in return for certain specialized services.”

“I’m listening,” said Mr. Magpie.

“I am aware that many of the performers in your troupe possess remarkable talents whose potential applications extend far beyond mere entertainment. Secretary Lucius occasionally has need of such people to perform certain delicate operations with which the Guild does not wish to be publicly implicated. If you would be willing to do us a few favours I might be persuaded to grant you a temporary stay of eviction from Creepstone Cemetery and the surrounding streets.”

“Our reputation has once again preceded us,” said Mr. Magpie, swinging his feet down off the table and clearing aside some of the detritus. “So what’ll it be? Assassination? Theft? Intimidation? Treasure hunting? Smuggling?” He found a grubby piece of paper and handed it to the lawyer, who accepted it between thumb and forefinger with obvious disgust. “Here is our price list. In return for the Guild’s tolerance of our little show I am willing to offer you a ten percent discount. What do you say?”