Er1k's blog of Malifaux madness

Er1k

~Hi folks

I'm hoping to use this thread to post my blog of Malifaux painting. I'm new to Malifaux but have been playing WHFB and 40K for years. I've never played with a fully painted army and I'm hoping that the small model count of Malifaux will help me get a fully painted army on the table.

Anyway I've played a couple of games with my local Henchman and have spent this evening building my Viktoria starter box so I intend to take that to the FLGS tomorrow night for my first game with my own crew (I'll let you guys know how I get on)

Sorry there aren't any pics yet but Im sure we would all be bored with bare metal model pics. My plan for the weekend is to finish cleaning the models up and then to spray them white and do a badab black ink wash ready for painting to begin next week (although my wife seems to have housework planned for me this weekend.)

Check back soon as I'm sure I'll have pics to show............

My plan for the weekend is to finish cleaning the models up and then to spray them white and do a badab black ink wash ready for painting to begin next week (although my wife seems to have housework planned for me this weekend.)

Check back soon as I'm sure I'll have pics to show............

In painting not even the best laid plans can survive contact with the wife. I'm sure the quote is something like that.

Edited by eturns

• 2 weeks later...

~Hi

Wife's away for the night so it was a choice of painting or going to the local Gentlemans club (yeh right) I've managed to get started on my convict gunslinger. Its still very much a wip but its the first time Ive picked up a brush in a considerable time and I'm quite pleased with him so far..

DSCF63433.jpg

Almost done. Just got to tidy up the trousers and then try and track some testors dullcoat so I can varnish it.

convictgunslingerwip22.jpg

On a side note I've just found out my Battlefoam MAlifaux bag should be here in a week. Yippeeeee..

Any comments or suggestions to improve my painting would be gratefully received

Looking good, but a little clumpy. Are you thinning your paints? You should never use paint straight out of the pot, it is always too thick. Better to do multiple thin coats for coverage than one thick one. I usually just use a little water but others will say to use a product for it.

~Hi

Thanks for the comments.

I have thinned the paints but maybe not enough. He also looks less thick in real life, maybe I need to practice my mini photo taking skills as well.

Didnt get much chance to do anything today but did start on one of my Viktorias. Its a really early WIP shot but I thought I'd post it anyway

viktoriawip1.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments folks, Malifaux really has inspired me to start painting again and I'm really enjoying it. Just a small update today, Viktoria is nearly finished, just a few areas left to finish and she'll be ready for the table. It will be great to have a couple of models painted for my game on Friday night. I'm playing our local henchman so lets hope I flip better with painted models than I seem to do with unpainted ones. Anyway here's a pic of Viktoria so far and a pic of my work to date. Once Viktoria is finished I think I'll start on a Ronin.

Enjoy.....................

viktoriawip2.jpg

worktodate.jpg

Er1k these are incredible, I would love to see what your thoughts would be on the neverborn! Cant wait!

Thanks Hayzel. I'd love to do a Pandora box set or a Dreamer box set and Teddy is an amazing model that I'd love to do in a Panda styled paint job but I did see a blue/white paint scheme on youtube that's got me thinking so I'm sure I'll get to some Neverborn soon.

I'm going to finish the Viktoria's first and I also have a Lady J crew (I'm currently waiting on 30mm graveyard bases to arrive). Once I get 2 crews painted I might even try to join the Henchman scheme. I'm trying to reinvigorate interest in Malifaux at my FLGS but not having much luck at the moment as there is only 3 of us playing, it seems like Warmachine and Hordes is the latest, greatest, newest thing to hit our FLGS

Have you been painting any of your crews?

Lol, i have lots of ideas for painting, but seeing as painting ISN'T a strong point, i keep putting it off *blushes*

I'd like to do a pink and fluffy version of the dreamer box set, as thats what my nightmares always start off like.

I am going to paint my teddies in the care bear style, or maybe like Barney (he scares the BEEJEEZUZ outta me)

See all these ideas, just cant get em out! damn.

~Hi

Sorry no painting update today, now the Laryngitis has gone I'm back at work so don't have much time for painting.

I was in Glasgow shopping today with the wife (usually a boring and scary event) but wondered upon Static games quite by accident (yeh right) They had a great selection of crew sets but no Colette crew, so I thought I'd just leave, but for some reason the Pandora crew seemed to be calling me - 22 quid later and I am now the proud owner of the Pandora crew

Pandora1.jpg

pandora2.jpg

Not sure If I'll start building and painting this straight away or If I'll finish all my Viktorias first

aaahhh decisions decisions

~Hi

Managed to get a bit of painting done tonight as I always like to have done something between game sessions and I have another game scheduled for tomorrow night. Its still very much a WIP and needs a lot of work but I'm quite chuffed as to how the denim has come out as I normally paint from the pictures on the Wyrd website and this is the first time I've really gone off plan to create something of my own.

Anyway hope you enjoy the pic, I'm sure now I've started painting her she'll play better than she did last week when she was just bare metal

Still really enjoying painting my crew, long may it continue

DSCF64082.jpg

~Hi

Maybe painted minis do play better...................Managed to squeeze out a draw against a Von Schill crew last night, even after making a serious mistake and getting one of my Viktorias killed early on.

Heres a shot from the game - (sorry about the bad quality it was taking from my blackberry)

game_040311.jpg

Playing about with my lightbox I've taken a group shot of the minis I've painted so far. 2 more Ronin to do and my second Viktoria as well and 19 days of painting before my Adepticon deadline. Should be ok. I'll crack on and get the other 3 painted and then I'll go back over all 6 tidying up the little things I'm not happy with (I'm a perfectionist). Then spray varnish and I'm done. Speaking of varnish. Does anyone have any recommendations, I'm thinking Testors Dullcote if I can get hold of it

projecttodate.jpg

Your minis are looking great so far. I especially like your Convict Gunslinger. I think it's a brilliant mini full of character and your paint job captures all of that very well! Looking forward to seeing the other Viktoria and co. and then what you do with Pandora!

~Hi folks

Just a quick update tonight and I apologise is advance for the rubbish quality pic tonight but I'm a bit too tired to set up my light tent so this pic will just have to do for now.

My wife has spent the evening making a doll for a friend who has been ill recently so I thought I'd take the opportunity to press on with my painting. I've really been looking forward to painting Taelor so I thought I'd paint her next.

Here is the result

Taelor.jpg

As always any comments would be gratefully appreciated, I'm hopefully gonna get the next Ronin done tomorrow and if I work really hard then I might even get the second Viktoria painted on Wednesday. This would mean I would have a fully painted crew in time for a demo that's running at my FLGS on Thursday and also well in time for my Adepticon deadline (I may even get my Pandoras done before then)

Still really enjoying painting and can't wait until I have a fully painted crew to field. After 20+ years of gaming I've never played with a fully painted army and even though its only 6 models in this army I'd still be really pleased

Off for a well deserved rest.........................