colour schemes

tony28

Colour symbolism.. ¬_¬

Every colour can be used to represent a wide selection of feelings depending largely on culture, time in history and what not.

If you were to go that route I'd suggest a white dress as that's supposedly connected to funeral/mourning in China (closest thing to the Three Kingdoms I think..) and most other asian countries.

She does wear black to the funeral of her lost love in the book. However white is the colour of mourning in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_in_Chinese_culture

I went for green, black and white for my one.

KiraiF.jpg

KiraiB.jpg

There are some fire spirits that act in a very similar way to the Seishin in Chinese mythology, they are a green/blue. Though I went with a red flame as I had just painted a large spirit army for War of the Rings.

FullCrew2.jpg

BTW there are more pictures in the Spirits of Vengence thread.

Also more importantly it's much easier to work out which bits of Kirai's costume are which from my paint scheme, the original paint job just alternates them in 2 colours.

she is wearing a under Kimono which is a browny grey in my Kirai

an over Kimono which is green

Shawl which is black.

Obi in beige

and it's tied with a Obi-age in orange.

Also note the Obi-agi should be tied with the strip at the top of the Obi due to her age.

Your models look awesome as always Ratty.

I was thinking of pale blue robes and lavender sash for my Kirai.

btw what is the model that is standing just to Kirai's upper right in your group shot?

It's my version of the Lost Love, as the Lost Love is not really her ex-boyfriends spirit but a manifestation of her own views of him I liked the idea that it would manifest as a mix of her memories of him and heroes from her childhood.

I'd say that Kirai was closest to Japanese as all the names in the crew are Japanese (with her name being "Hate"). So black would be the appropriate colour for a funeral.

She's definetly mostly japanese'y, however the Three Kingdoms as a whole is more chinese'y I think.

Q'iq'el discussed her quite well here.

Didn't recall the book referred to the colour of her clothes.. Hmhmm :P

Edit: The majority of other japanese colour meaning charts I can find differ from the one you linked to.. Not that it really matters, I don't know enough of the culture to say anything, only what I can find through google :P

She's definetly mostly japanese'y, however the Three Kingdoms as a whole is more chinese'y I think.

Q'iq'el discussed her quite well here.

Didn't recall the book referred to the colour of her clothes.. Hmhmm :P

Edit: The majority of other japanese colour meaning charts I can find differ from the one you linked to.. Not that it really matters, I don't know enough of the culture to say anything, only what I can find through google :P

Well I did link to a Chinese colour chart not a Japanese one so they may well differ.

Yeah same with regards to the colours. Did live there for a year 16 years or so ago though ;)

@ratty,just out of curiosity what colours did you use for your onetime and gaki?

Onetime?

Er the Gaki is really hard to explain as I didn't actually use purple for the skin or green for the robes. The robes are actually Charadon granite mixed with bleached bone with brown and black washes. The skin started with tallarn flesh, then I washed it with a mix of purple and brown and then I highlighted back up with a pale grey mixed in with the tallarn flesh.

One of the great ways of choosing original and appealing color schemes is to go after something real, chosen by an actual artist. Look at some art albums, old military uniforms, dresses in the museum - anything which has an actual color scheme and try to adapt it to your figures. Results are always awesome and typically go beyond typical schemes arbitrarily chosen with a color wheel (not saying it is entirely useless, just look for inspiration elsewhere first. :) ).

http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=emaki

The problem with those images is certain colours fade quicker than others, so they are not the same colours they were originally printed in. I went to see some of them when they came over to Cambridge.

When I was painting my Kirai I used a search for Traditional Kimono when getting ideas.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=traditional+kimono&biw=1680&bih=812