Newbie advice on Neverborn

Gollum9

Hi all,

Looking at getting my first crew and am leaning towards Neverborn. I have been gaming for a good while and now play mostly warmachine. Would the Dreamer be a bad place to start to learn the game? If so, would Lilith/Zoraida perhaps be a better place to start? I am thinking that as I expand, I will have a number of models which I can re-use with the different masters.

My only issue with Lilith is that I see the tots etc grow into the larger versions. Does this mean I will need to buy lots of extra models to be available for the various 'growths' through the stages? If so how many would I need for a decent starting crew? Is this the same for Resurrectionists where you need extra models to raise?

I realise I am asking a thousand questions but any help from you Neverborn experts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

G

Well that is a few things all at one, lets dive into this.

The Dreamer is not exactly an advanced master to learn to play but he has some confusing rule interactions that really get some people. So unless you are willing to learn the game with this in mind, I would suggest Lilith or Zoraida. Simply but, the Dreamer is simple yet complex. His basic premiss is not that hard to understand but the mechanics have spawned many questions about him.

But if you want to play him, just go for it and take your time as you learn the game.

As for Lilith, she is a great choice as is Zoraida! Both are great masters with interesting crews and nothing to terribly complex about them really.

The Dreamer is all about movement and positioning, his minions are generally not tough and hit pretty hard. Lilith is about speed and raw melee power, her minions are very deadly up-close and have the tools to quickly close the distance. Zoraida is.... well she is Zoraida heh, she does some control with her Obey spell and has a huge variety of crews she can play.

For Lilith's Minions and their ability to Grow and Mature, there is a 3 stage process BUT you may hire any of the stages.

Terror Tot -- grow --> Young Nephilim -- mature --> Mature Nephilim

You can hire Terrot Tots, Young and Mature Nephilim when you build your crew. You are not forced to start at tots and grow up to matures, you can just hire a Mature.

As for the number you need, just get the Box set (Contains Lilith, 3 tots and a mature) an a blister of 2 Young Nephilim and you are fine for most cases unless you want to really spam a certain model.

I heavily suggest you start at a 25ss crew and work up from there. You'll pick up the rest as you go on and quickly grow your collection.

Also I wrote a few Tacticas that are long and very indepth on Lilith, Dreamer, and Pandora. You can find links to them in my signature if you wish to take a look at them. They will give you just about everything you need to get familiar with the crews and learn them. As for Zoraida, find Rathnards thread on the Neverborn Section (http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13573) as she has done an amazing job with the Hag.

Edited by karn987

Lilith is one of the more strait-forward masters to begin with. But, yes, you really do need to get at least the Young 'uns to make it all mesh well. She moves fast and hits hard.

The Dreamer is... well, all the 'Borne are trixie. It's what they do. Control, movement, and messing with things. Dreamer teleports things around. It's what he does. If that style likes you, then go for it.

I know that when the models for the Young Nephilim weren't out yet people used to place a 40mm base under the Terror Tot to denote that it had grown. So if you are on a budget and want to start up fast you can always do this until you can afford the Young'uns.

Saying that, the Dreamer box set need Day Dreams and Alps (for summons) to be practical.

Wow you guys are good! Go away, have dinner, come back and there is loads of useful advice already!

Think I may go for Lilith then from what you are saying. I'm not against the challenge of the Dreamer but if Lil is fast and hard hitting that sounds right up my street for now!

Karn - I have had a brief look at your tactica's and to be honest they are one of the reasons for going with Neverborn. Knowing there is all that knowledge and ideas available will hopefully give me a good chance of picking up how to use them.

Thanks again - i'm off for a read!

Wow you guys are good! Go away, have dinner, come back and there is loads of useful advice already!

Think I may go for Lilith then from what you are saying. I'm not against the challenge of the Dreamer but if Lil is fast and hard hitting that sounds right up my street for now!

Karn - I have had a brief look at your tactica's and to be honest they are one of the reasons for going with Neverborn. Knowing there is all that knowledge and ideas available will hopefully give me a good chance of picking up how to use them.

Thanks again - i'm off for a read!

Huzzah! You have made a good choice my friend, welcome to the halls of the Neverborn, always glad to be of service.

Lilith is indeed very fast and hard hitting but also has a fair amount of movement tricks built into her. There are several ways you can play her crew and every Nephilim model is basically a work of art. The hardest part of playing her I find is deciding which awesome models to use and which not to use.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them up and I'm sure you will get a barrage of answers again.

Enjoy and good luck!

Greetings, I am hayzel, and i am the neverborn princess! I hope you enjoy your stay here, and dont worry about the terror tots, if they start biting just give them some sweeties. :)

Am overjoyed that you have gone for Lilith, she is a personal fave of mine.

Hope you enjoy the neverborn, just watch out for the pesky Guilders.

Gollum i`ve already welcomed you in the introductions section, but that is for common and ordinary people, now that you have chosen the neverborn, you have entered to a new hall and level, be proud lad to be part of this elite!

WELCOME TO THE NEVERBORN!!!!!

:bowsucker

I actually have just crossed into neverborn territory, being a rather experienced Nicodem (zombies galore) and some'er teeth (gremlins galore) player, and I absolutely am in love with the dreamer. He may be tied with Leveticus for the least straightforward master in the game (Levi's major strategy revolves around dying a lot and coming back) but he's just awesome. For one thing, the starter box is fairly strong for the dreamer, and if you buy that and a pack of alps to play with and summon occasionally, you've got a very solid crew. While lilith may be easy to play, I've often been bored with her as a strategic piece, although the nephilim tend to be fairly fun. For her, you would need to pick up the pack of young nephs, and then the starter box gives you babies and a big boy.

The reason I would recommend the dreamer is that, although you are new to the game, you are probably experienced enough to handle basic gaming interactions and you'll grasp the basics fast, and the dreamer personifies, to me, the personality of Malifaux. He's tricky, creepy, with a nice heaping of nasty monsters, and topped off with a generous helping of black humor. There's nothing like the frustration of your opponent trying to pin down a five year old boy who can fly and switch places with a giant, murderous demon. His minions are delightfully weird and spooky, especially coppelius and the terrifyingly adorable teddy, and he just highlights why Malifaux is such a unique game.

There's my piece. If you're going for ease of getting into the game, I'd say start with Lilith, but for sheer enjoyment, I would pick the dreamer.

I actually have just crossed into neverborn territory, being a rather experienced Nicodem (zombies galore) and some'er teeth (gremlins galore) player, and I absolutely am in love with the dreamer. He may be tied with Leveticus for the least straightforward master in the game (Levi's major strategy revolves around dying a lot and coming back) but he's just awesome. For one thing, the starter box is fairly strong for the dreamer, and if you buy that and a pack of alps to play with and summon occasionally, you've got a very solid crew. While lilith may be easy to play, I've often been bored with her as a strategic piece, although the nephilim tend to be fairly fun. For her, you would need to pick up the pack of young nephs, and then the starter box gives you babies and a big boy.

The reason I would recommend the dreamer is that, although you are new to the game, you are probably experienced enough to handle basic gaming interactions and you'll grasp the basics fast, and the dreamer personifies, to me, the personality of Malifaux. He's tricky, creepy, with a nice heaping of nasty monsters, and topped off with a generous helping of black humor. There's nothing like the frustration of your opponent trying to pin down a five year old boy who can fly and switch places with a giant, murderous demon. His minions are delightfully weird and spooky, especially coppelius and the terrifyingly adorable teddy, and he just highlights why Malifaux is such a unique game.

There's my piece. If you're going for ease of getting into the game, I'd say start with Lilith, but for sheer enjoyment, I would pick the dreamer.

*monotone* One of us. One of us. One of us.

Well, that's it, plunge taken!

Rulebook, deck, Lilith box and a blister of young ordered. I will then move onto the Dreamer once I have these painted and a few games under my belt (or whatever Nephalim keep their trousers up with!).

Spent a couple of evenings reading Karn's tactics article (great read). Some elements are a mystery without the rulebook but I am hoping it will start sinking in when I start playing ;)

Planning on painting them with an overall purple colour scheme (just to see if I can get the wife interested!). Will post some pics once they are done. Also looking forward to a few of the new models coming in Feb/Mar/Apr. Should make some good additions to the crew!

Take it easy :)

Rulebook, deck, Lilith box and a blister of young ordered. I will then move onto the Dreamer once I have these painted and a few games under my belt (or whatever Nephalim keep their trousers up with!).

Entrails my dear... Entrails... And yay for you with the lilith, she wont disappoint. :)

Sweetie??? *offers a cola cube to Gollum*

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have the Lilith box plus a couple of young Nephalim. I am going to get the Cherub and was wondering what else would be good to add. Not sure really as the next 2 models I want to get are not released until April :( (Nekima and Shaman).

I am also going to be getting the Dreamer boxed set along with possibly a Teddy and a pack of Daydreams. Am I on the right lines?

By the way I love the game and am really pleased I got into it. Thanks for all your help!

Ok, so I have the Lilith box plus a couple of young Nephalim. I am going to get the Cherub and was wondering what else would be good to add. Not sure really as the next 2 models I want to get are not released until April :( (Nekima and Shaman).

I am also going to be getting the Dreamer boxed set along with possibly a Teddy and a pack of Daydreams. Am I on the right lines?

By the way I love the game and am really pleased I got into it. Thanks for all your help!

Well for the Dreamer yeah you need those Daydreams, I mean you really need them. =D

Dreamer loves Teddy, why stop at one? ;D

For Nephilim, Lilitu and Lelu are a definite must and they do double duty with the Dreamer and Lilith so perfect for you!

Those are some good next steps =D

I'd second the addition of Lilitu & Lelu. Another decent choice is a Waldgeist. On a table with forests it can give you some mobile cover for your crew of glass cannons, plus they tend to be pretty resiliant, with or without a forest to hide in.

The minimum recommended purchases for a Dreamer Box is Daydreams (of course) and Alps (Coppelius can summon them). Beyond that, Teddy is a great choice, as is Lilitu/Lelu.