LaCroix Kin Tactics

Cornelious1424

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dgraz Is the paint scheme that you posted above how you did your Some'r and gremlins on your paint thread? I saw those and they look really good, tbh I just want a mottled color not the bright goblin looking green that I have now.

If not can you send me a pm or just post here how you painted those guys? I really appreciate it

Thanks

No, I was just thinking how to get the yellowish green.

For mine, it's been awhile, but I think it was just Catachan green, camo green, and rotting flesh. I prime grey, base coated them with scorched brown, then I keep my paints thin and do several layers. I may have done Dark Angels green before the Catachan.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

My method works for doing lots at once:-

1. Spray prime white.

2. Airbrush on watered down Badab Black wash.

3. Heavy drybrush of white.

4. Yellow ink.

5. Green ink.

The priming and Badab Black wash pre-shades the models, and the yellow & green inks (or washes) provide the colour over the top. If you have a large crew to do, it is a very fast method.

Ophelia_1.jpg

Not a great pic, but you get the idea. The clothes etc are also just washes or inks over the pre-shaded base layer. The only thing it doesn't work for is the metallics, which you have to paint as usual.

I actually just found the Gremlin flesh tone that I my self have been looking for, yesterday. Here goes:

Gretchin Green base

Thrakka Green wash

80% coverage of Goblin Green

Mix of Goblin Green, Golden Yellow, Bleached Bone (1:1:1) highlight

Wash Gretchin Green

It gave me a nice swampy feel...DGraz I'll show you next time at the shop!

Raphael is great for holding objectives/being a pin cushion. His damage potential is pretty nice if he gets his trigger off too.

Francois is awesome, he gives you a little melee to a shooting heavy crew. Cb 6 on his dueling sword with the ram included means he is a beat stick. He can also shoot a target multiple times with Hair Trigger. I usually keep Francois back until my opponent closes in, then I sling him up with Ophelia's "Ooh a Girl" and let him slap shit around.

This being the Kin Tactics Thread, may I ask you to provide some short rundown of the different Kins?

For example, I often read that Rami is highly recommended, but reading through his rules I just can´t see why. Ok, he´s got the best range, but nothing to increase the number of shots.

Fracois and Raphael on the other hand seems to have to offer some neat tricks...

ZK

My method works for doing lots at once:-

1. Spray prime white.

2. Airbrush on watered down Badab Black wash.

3. Heavy drybrush of white.

4. Yellow ink.

5. Green ink.

The priming and Badab Black wash pre-shades the models, and the yellow & green inks (or washes) provide the colour over the top. If you have a large crew to do, it is a very fast method.

Ophelia_1.jpg

Not a great pic, but you get the idea. The clothes etc are also just washes or inks over the pre-shaded base layer. The only thing it doesn't work for is the metallics, which you have to paint as usual.

Similar to the underbrushing article in last months No Quarter but a bit easier (since you dont have to use the different primers). Great result on Ophelia.

This being the Kin Tactics Thread, may I ask you to provide some short rundown of the different Kins?

For example, I often read that Rami is highly recommended, but reading through his rules I just can´t see why. Ok, he´s got the best range, but nothing to increase the number of shots.

Fracois and Raphael on the other hand seems to have to offer some neat tricks...

ZK

One great thing about Rami is that he can get a pretty high Cb rating with his rifle, something that Gremlins sorely lack. He's a pretty good counter to high Df models like Perdita that are typical problems for Gremlins. Personally I think Rami might be relatively stronger (due to this counter) in Som'er's crew than in Ophelia, since Ophelia herself already totes a Cb:6 IIRC.

Having such a long range helps with the number of shots, as you often don't need to use an action point (brain farting, did I get the term right) and can therefore shoot 3 times a turn (via reckless -> fast) if you don't feel the need to focus a shot.

By wash I mean mix the paint with water. It should blend the colors nicely if done correctly. The Thrakka Green wash is a pre-made wash made by GW, but they are more like inks than washes.

80% coverage (for me) means paint the raised/detailed areas of the model, while leaving the recesses the darker color.

That's a great idea ZK, I'll get on that...now.

LaCroix Kin Rundown: They all share a couple of things, which will make explaining this easier. All have "Aim High", "Dumb Luck", "Reckless", and "Squeel".

Rami LaCroix: This guy is a must is every Gremlin list (imo). He is just as good as his counterpart, Nino Ortega. He has long ranged, high damage out put capabilities. His only spell "Gremlin Sights" is fairly easy to cast and it's a must. It makes him a Cb7 with his gun while shooting against that target. It's also 18" giving you a "check range" cheat. His biggest asset is his trigger "Dumb Luck", which most Gremlins share (double damage to target, Rami takes half the wounds inflicted). That means with "Dumb Luck" he has the potential for 4/6/8 on damage flips, at 16" away. He can move and fire once he casts "Gremlin Sights" to, you just need to be farther than 8" of the target. He is a Hunter, which means targets in cover will not get cover, he can see up to 6" into woods rather than 3". Also, Rami is a scout, so he ignores sever movement penalties. He is death from a distance. He doesn't have rapid fire, but he can do 8dg in one shot. Don't forget that Rami, like all Gremlins is "Reckless", giving him an extra action by taking a wound. That means you can move into position and fire twice, or vice versa. Deploy him in a place where he has full coverage of the board, so no model is safe from his sharp shooting. He has a way of striking fear in the hearts of your opponents just by taking him in your crew.

Pere Ravage': This guy is one of my favorite kin, and I can't think of a list where I wouldn't use him either. Pere is your board control, in a sense because of his AOE damage. When you hire Pere, you have to think of him as dead from the start of the game. You pretty much sacrifice him to take out 3-4 models of the other crew. His spell "Oopsie" is ridiculous. It's a 6" pulse that deals 5dg to both him and any one in the pulse. Pere cannot make a resist duel, but others do so by using their defense. Make sure you have a high card in your hand to cast it with, so that most things in the AOE have a low chance of resistance. When he Pere dies, he does another mini 3" pulse called "Ka-blooey!" that deals 4dg...this one cannot be resisted. The downside is, "Ka-Blooey!" does not activate if Pere is killed by his "Oopsie" spell. I'll explain more of how to use this in the Ophelia section. His second trick is to use his trigger "Stupid Luck" to pretty much 1 shot anything in the game with his Breath Fire attack. Breath Fire is a ranged attack of 8" and s Cb of 5. You need a ram in the suite to activate "Stupid Luck", which triples the amount of damage, but Pere is sacrificed. Breath Fire goes from a 1/3 blast/4 double blast to a 3/9 blast/12 double blast! Pere is your demolition man, use him to clear out a path for your other Kin. Also a huge threat that your opponent will fear.

Raphael LaCroix: This guy like I said before, he is your Pin Cushion. He can take a lot of damage, especially ranged damage and still stand after. Raphael is Hard to Kill which means if he can never be taken down by a single strike. Enemies must spend multiple actions to take him down. He is also Bulletproof 1, which means he reduces the amount of damage taken from ranged attacks by 1. He is a true survivor. His Big Honkin' Gun is a Cb 5 with a 2/3/5 damage and a range of 8", not too bad considering he is the man you want in a mid ranged fire fight. He also has the "Dumb Luck" trigger so his gun becomes a 4/6/10! His "Fueled by Panic" rule is nice, letting him use "Reckless" without taking a wound while he has 4 or less wounds remaining and also gives +1 to damage flips. "Wade Out" is also pretty handy, giving him an extra walk action while he has 4 or less wounds remaining. That's a potential 4 actions!! His spells are ok, "Gremlins Bleed Green" is nice because it lets him make a healing flip, but it needs a ram to get off. "Hoo-ee!" is decent damage pulse. He is your objective grabber/diversion. Stick him up front, he can take it.

I don't have to time for Francois, Ophelia, and the Young LaCroix. I'll post those as soon as I can. Hope this helps so far.

Can't really add too much more to what has been said. I must say, recently my opinion on Pere has taken a dive. Don't get me wrong I love the guy but I find he is easy to take out if you don't play him right. More than any other Gremlin, you need to keep this guy hidden so that you can deliver him to where he needs to blow up. The best way to do this is with Ophiela. Run her out for one move action, drag Pere into base contact with 'It's a Girl' (remember this can be ANYWHERE on her base) and then hide with Ophiela and watch the fireworks! I'm still not entirely convinced on Raphael. He seems to get killed quickly as he needs to be on 4 wounds to be really effective. I'd be tempted to use him in objective based scenarios. As soon as he gets to 4 wounds, he has a total of four AP to spend on move actions( 2 general AP+Fast+Wade Out).

Right then, Francois. I wasn't entirely sold on the guy to begin with. Like his human counterpart, he does pale in comparison to his family. This was until I noticed the Hair Trigger ability. Should you get the right suits, this guy can deal out several shots a turn. Francois also always has Dumb Luck activated on his sword, so his combat flip is techincally 4/6/8. True, he could burn out quickly but thats why Wyrd invented Slop Haulers.

I'd also consider him just because he has a better damage output period than a normal Gremlin.

The Young LaCroix in my experience, serve two core roles. The first is annoyance. They're very speedy and pretty hard to hit with Tiny. Remember, since its a negative flip to hit them with ranged attacks you can't cheat to hit the blighters. For harassment, they're ace. The other is using Magical Extension to cast Right Between the Eyes. The pluses to the damage flip is really handy against hard to wound/armoured stuff that Gremlins can struggle against.

I'd take three so you can get Between the Eyes off (perhaps) three times every turn. Note that they don't have Family Feud.

I could go on to talk about Ophelia herself but its reaching 3am here in Cardiff. I'll elaborate on her tomorrow but needless to say, she is the glue that holds a Gremlin crew together. Without her, they would be unable to function effectively.

EDIT!: Yes Ophelia. Like I said, she should be your first port of call for any Gremlin list. The most important reason for her inclusion is her 4 inch aura that negates the Woops rule on other Gremlins. This is so handy - no longer will your Gremlins end up snuffing each other off the board! A good way to capitalise on this if you have too many Gremlins to fit within the aura, then space other LaCroix throughout the rest of your horde. When hit by Whoops attacks, they only ever take damage on a severe flip.

Ophelia isn't a casting master. Her spells most of the time are there for her totems to use. Although having said, Bent Gun Barrell can have its uses. She's quite nibby (Walk of Six?) but where she really comes into her own is her 0 actions. Ophelia is instinctual, so you'll be doing two a turn. They're all pretty good, although I find 'Like Herding Squrriels' the most lacklustre out of the four, just because its effects only happen in melee. Arguably the most noteworthy 0 action is Dumb and Lucky, which allows you to put rams onto the Cb of a nearby Kin. So Pere will get Stupid Luck triggered. *grins* The two places where I normally end up putting this are Rami (for the range) or Ophelia herself. It's the reason why you're better off shooting rather than casting her spells most of the time, as her damage output becomes 4/6/8. What really tops this off is that she only ever takes one wound from activating Dumb Luck. Her damage output is nuts.

The next zero action - It's a Girl - I've touched on before and combos nicely with Calculated Luck. Say you have taken a few wounds from blasting stuff. Well, drag that Slop Hauler into contact and heal yourself up. The other main use of this is the Pere Slingshot that I mentioned earlier.

Her last zero action is Family Tree, which makes a friendly Gremlin with six activate right after here. Normally, this'll go onto the Slop Hauler if you need some healing done pronto.

That's Ophelia. Crazy damage output but most importantly, she allows the Gremlins to work properly.

Edited by Dumb Luck

Yes I know, but if you hit someone with severe while getting the trigger off, it pretty much 1 shots everything. I should have explained a little further, thanks for the pick up.

Yeah, Ophelia is support but also supports your crew by blasting things in the face. Don't be afraid to get her in the thick of things. For those of you not familiar with some of her tricks, check out the beginning of this thread.

I just picked up a Som'er box and an Ophelia box, along with the slop haulers. The slop haulers look excellent on paper by shoring up many of the Gremlins' weaknesses, mainly by being able to heal multiple allies (since they'll be taking damage from dumb luck and summoning etc,) and their ability to do the slop spray and reduce enemy defenses to 4 with no resist.

Has anyone tried the slop spray tricks to allow your gremlins to hit more accurately? I'm thinking Slop spray with one, then toss slop with another (more likely to hit), granting +1 Cb to all gremlins attacking that model, for a net effect of reducing Df to 3.

As I haven't any play experience, my questions are: A) is this realistic, and B) is this even necessary, especially given the higher accuracy of the Kin?

I wouldn't rely on Bayou Gremlins to be hitting anything with amazing accuracy. Yes they can do decent damage, but I use them more as model superiority.

The slop spray trick is great for taking out things with a high Df, Perdita and Lilith are awesome targets for this. Slop Hauler is best used as a healer, but his slop spray does come in handy, trust me.

Even with the Kin remember, you're playing Gremlins...they are meant to be shenanigans!

I just picked up a Som'er box and an Ophelia box, along with the slop haulers. The slop haulers look excellent on paper by shoring up many of the Gremlins' weaknesses, mainly by being able to heal multiple allies (since they'll be taking damage from dumb luck and summoning etc,) and their ability to do the slop spray and reduce enemy defenses to 4 with no resist.

Has anyone tried the slop spray tricks to allow your gremlins to hit more accurately? I'm thinking Slop spray with one, then toss slop with another (more likely to hit), granting +1 Cb to all gremlins attacking that model, for a net effect of reducing Df to 3.

As I haven't any play experience, my questions are: A) is this realistic, and B) is this even necessary, especially given the higher accuracy of the Kin?

Personally I find the Df debuff of the Slop Haulers to be their primary appeal to me. I play Som'er though, not really Ophelia, and one of his big weaknesses is low Cb ratings across the board. Being able to debuff targets is a big benefit, and at the very least forces your opponent to account for that threat rather than just wading in on you waist-deep without a care in the world.

Even with the Kin remember, you're playing Gremlins...they are meant to be shenanigans!

Ah... shenanigans... my favorite word. Also the reason that I play Gremlins in the first place.

Another thumbs up for the Slop Hauler. I will say that I read here a suggestion to use the Young LaCroix as a sacrificial target to do some damage and drop Df with the Slop Hauler though... suggest using a Bayou Gremlin instead because the Young'ns "tiny" ability works against you to cheat up the Slop Hauler's attack.

Shenanigans for all!

Ah... shenanigans... my favorite word. Also the reason that I play Gremlins in the first place.

Another thumbs up for the Slop Hauler. I will say that I read here a suggestion to use the Young LaCroix as a sacrificial target to do some damage and drop Df with the Slop Hauler though... suggest using a Bayou Gremlin instead because the Young'ns "tiny" ability works against you to cheat up the Slop Hauler's attack.

Shenanigans for all!

True the Youngins have Tiny but you can cheat down the Youngins Def flip with one of your low cards to make sure it hits.

The main draw to using Youngins for this trick is their ability to get up field fast to engage from a distance so your other Gremlins get an extra turn of shooting before getting engaged.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

• 4 weeks later...

So I got to play a few games at my LGS before I went back to Uni on break.

Of all of the things I learned with the LaCroix gremlins is that if you companion Ophelia and Francois, and then give Francois the "Add a ram to his CB" then you can have Francois use his trigger that makes him take a wound to shoot again, and keep doing it until you kill the model that you want dead, and I can assure you that Francois will kill that model.

In conjunction with this, use Ophelia's other 0 spell to companion a slop hauler to heal Francois back to full (or at least heal him a little)

Hee. Had a game the other day that left me with sore cheeks from laughing so hard. One of those moments that made me laugh was when I "Ooo! a girl!" a Young'un up into a building to shoot out of a window with "dirty shoot" while the gremlin hopped on a table. The image of the little guy jumping on a table to shoot the Judge in the back while he flew back off the table due to the 1" push was too much.

My opponents hate my young'uns now.:D

Haha good one Murphy.

Where I play is the boondocks itself in Virginia so I love playing my redneck gremlins as everybody gets a kick out of it.

I was playing a shared claim jump and moved Raphael who after shooting his big honkin' gun, I was like, "Y'all from the bank? I's told to shoot anybody from the bank"

It was hysterical

My favorite part of the LaCroix crew is that I start off by playing for just giggles and shear shenanigans. The last game was a multi player game I didn't expect to win so I passed on schemes for a second slop hauler and just went into crazy mode.

My opponents ended up slugging it out with each other while my gremlins took pop shoots off for comical effect. It turned a possible tense game into a down right 'hoot'. :guns:

When I ended up with the treasure in my deployment, with most of my crew intact, and the game ended in a three way tie I got to say it couldn't have ended any better.

Competitive and fun. Doesn't get any better than this boy'z. :ophelia