McMourning and Desperate Mercenaries?

Thunder_God

So, anyone had any experience with those (yet unreleased) models? They seem like they'll mesh really well with Resurrectionists, and especially with McMourning.

They cost 2 SS, and when they die, they give you a corpse token. Thus far, you lose nothing compared to the K9s, which is already important.

If you hurt them some, they get +flip, and you can get some body counters from them with the good doctor this way.

You can use a Belle to pull them ahead early game, or pull an enemy to them so they won't need to spend any AP on moving before they begin on shooting.

Now, we get to the fun part, "For My Family" has you sacrifice them at the Start Closing, and if I got the rules down correct, this does not run afoul of also dosing them up with the Nurse.

In an optimal setup, you could have a Desperate Mercenary unleash 4 shots, at CB 7, with +2 flips for damage. Alternately, you could get 8 shots at CB 5 with +2 flips for damage.

If you damaged them before they activated, then you're also at +flip for attack.

You can damage those high DEF models who often have less hard to wound and wds, or if you come across a low DF model, you will either kill it, or whittle down the enemy's hand/SS pool (if caster), this is of course, if you did this before they had a chance to already spend their hands.

And then, if you kill them yourself after they unleash hell, you get your corpse tokens, you get your healing flips, which can also help with McMourning hurting his own crew, and you get them corpse tokens to summon more stuff, especially as now the forces should be closer to one another so things will be able to get where they need via melee. And if you have McMourning kill them, you're even going to end up with additional body parts.

They seem pretty fragile, so it might take some tricks with who to activate first, them or the nurse. If you go nurse first, you can give them Painkillers, and Reactivate, and they'll get to live till their turn comes. (BTW, how do you handle Reactivate prior to activation? The model activates twice, or you activate, enemy activates, you get a chance to activate again?).

If the Desperate Merc activates first, "For My Family" turns them into WP 7, DF 8 models, which has a good chance to survive more than its fair share of hassle.

And of course, I keep hearing about Convict Gunslinger for range, but this is 3 Desperate Mercenaries for the cost of one Convict Gunslinger, which also means plenty more corpse and body counters.

This is my preliminary thoughts, after reading some McMourning threads and eyeing the Desperate Merc and its cost, in a list where dying before third turn is no big deal, you'll just get recycled.

Thoughts?

I agree Thunder, they seem amazingly good a taking down a target at moderate range whilst providing the necessary cheap corpse counters like canines. I'm going to have to proxy test them a bit to see how they fit my style.

Initial comments to add (as devils advocate):

- They are a little slower than dogs so if you're using scalpel sling to rush McM this may not be as effective.

- I believe sacrificed models don't drop corpse counters so you will need to knock them off yourself if you use the nurse. Don't use the invunerable injection but then if they are already wounded then they are very easily killed.

- Taking multiples may be difficult if you're trying to kill them early game for counters.

- An opponent will only fall for this once as they are m4 and range 8 from memory, easily avoided in the early game. Alterntively they aren't too hard to kill either, especially if you have wounded them for improved performance!

- Convict gunslinger is still far better at nailing one target, he has paired weapons a higher CB, rapid fire, nasty triggers. Not to forget he's tougher and doesn't disappear after three turns!

as a walking corpse they are amazing and tbh running lots of them just feels wrong, but the best way to use them would be with nurses and beles

1st turn hit him with the nurse 1pt of damage.

2/3rd turn

1. pump him full of drugs i.e. combat buff + reactivate (meaning he gets to activate twice)

2. try to waist activations

3. then use ur belees to lure something into his charge range

4. for my family (hes much better in combat) charge him in an go crazy with ur insane attacks

5. gettin the most from your dying friend. activate mcmourning and scalpel sling with minimum damage and push too him, then use dissection only needed 1 damage to kill our desperate friend, leaving you with 1ap(fast) to either run for cover or attack somat.

6. if you have more beles lure mcmourning back to safety.

now rather hard to get right but if you do its pure profit, you would need idealy a nurse, 2 beles and some mercs.

to some up though ud get 2 bpcounters from the Desporte kill, 1 from a piece for me trigger off the melee attack, then 3 from dissection. then bp counters from whatever died + what you did with the extra ap with mcmourning

but the desporte merc would get 9inch charge 3 attacks at what are CB 11 (paired) with +++ to the damage flips with 2/3/4 (+ trigger)

and probably about 8 bp counters (which is enough to summon a rogue necromancy)

I've had great experiences running a desperate mercenary in my McMourning crew. Usually, I hire him with a Convict gunslinger (who still has a very large place, IMO. With the right cards, the Gunslinger can take down anything in a turn).

With the Desperate Merc, I usually either have McMourning cut him a bit (netting a body part and setting him up for the bonuses to flips he gets when wounded) or have a Belle lure the merc. into position (ending with a Grimy Parsik attack to get those bonuses on attacks). By turn 3, some of my models are usually wounded, and an enemy is in range of the Desperate Merc. Then I can go "For my Family" and unload with uncontrolled fire (4 shots at Cb 5 with positive flips on the to-hit and damage flips). Then someone else in the crew finishes off my Desperate Merc, netting a corpse counter to use for summoning and getting me a healing flip for a nearby model.

Because of the ability to kill off the Desperate Mercs before they are sacrificed for "For my Family", I reckon we'll see them a lot in Resser crews. I'm particularly excited about seeing some in a Nicodem crew with a Necrotic Machine. You could then make the Desperate Mercs undead to benefit from Bolster undead. The idea of a 2 point model getting 4 shots at Cb7 (with + for the attack and ++ for the damage flips) before it gives up a corpse counter to get turned into a 5 point punk zombie is too wonderful for words!

Yep, Rising Powers. Essentially, it's a 2-point model with a gun and a sword who is sacrificed at the end of the 3rd turn unless you pay an additional soulstone (or two, if you want him to lose insignificant). Due to his inevitable demise and cheap cost, he makes a great "disposable hero". Most of his rules are geared for him to be used in such a manner.

as a walking corpse they are amazing and tbh running lots of them just feels wrong, but the best way to use them would be with nurses and beles

Well you can only run 2 in a non-outcast army.

I personally like the Nicodem + Nurse + Necrotic machine combo. Turn them undead with the machine, then bolster then nurse them up with a reactive(maybe wound them too)

You are then getting a wopping 8 shots off with amazing bonuses. Its a pretty wicked sacrifice.

Nilus, this seems a lot of SS worth of models chain activating to get the benefit - i question whether it is worth all those APs given the model is quite vunerable and can also be managed by the opponent. Perhaps it depend son the strategy?

I wonder if this doesn't gobble up too many SS, too. Nurses + Desperate Mercenaries + Canine Remains in a list you're running for McMourning anyway sounds like a fun bet. I can't wait for the models to come out...I guess I'll have to use PP's Saxon Orrik or something as a proxy.