Tactica: Sonnia Criid

yames

Dark Alleycat told me something last week, and I think it should be added to the Tactica (and maybe he should expand, because I'm going secondhand on this). Here's an interesting combo:

If you take Santiago with Sonnia, you can keep him close and use him for healing. Stab him with Sonnia's blade, cheat to minimum damage, then trigger Absorb Magic, discard 1, draw 1, heal 1. When Santaigo gets to 4 wounds, his "Is That All You Got?" goes off, and he becomes really nasty.

Seems cool, but not amazing. After all, you can only do it twice before Santiago gets to 4 wounds, and then you probably don't want to do it anymore (but maybe to a Witchling b/c of their Magic Resistant?). Also, if you have to cheat a Ram (or if you flip one) to do minimum damage, you have to discard 2 control cards, but you still only get to draw 1 and heal 1.

Still, seems like it could be clutch in certain circumstances.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week i had a game where Sonnia successfully suicided herself against a ronin, two lelus and a litlu... Sure i may have lost a master eventually to black blood and repeated strikes but the fact that i knocked out most if not severely damaged his whole force led to me winning by both scenario and attrition paid off.

My absorb magic trigger practically made my opponent discard his hand (i was lucky enough to flip rams so he HAD to discard two cards per hit). Using violation of magic for extra damage or flame wall to deny the enemy avenues of advance.

Hey, new to the game. Just looking into buying models. Mind if I ask what you would get for a 35 scrap. Using Sonnia and Lucius that Yammes mentioned in the original post. Also, would this be an army that is going to have a fighting chance vs most/all other armies? Seems like a very fun playstyle, and thanks for the tactica.

When I first got into the game in order to promote the game in my area I let my friends pick the factions that they would want. I "ended up" with the Guild, after that I just looked over the masters. Though Lady Justice and Perdita were both tempting with awesome models in their box set I picked Sonnia Cridd.

My reasoning was 1) probably the least favorite of the 3 masters (at the time), I love playing underdogs 2) just about EVERY model in malifaux has a spell so anti-magic works fine. Though I haven't played much during all that time my group is getting back into malifaux (we play too many different skirmish games) and I am finding that my choice of master was well founded.

sonnia cache 8

lucius 10 (i belive dont have cards out atm)

guild guards X 2 8

guild austringer 5

leaves you with 8 points to bring some one of your choice between things like

judge

executioner

hopkins

or a stalker and a guild guard

u could also drop cache to 7 if you brought a 7 coster and bring a totem which if you bring one id bring govs proxy attached to lucius becuz it can cast issue command

id personaly go with the stalker and the guard

and a team like this can go toe to toe with most other teams but everything has bad match ups

• 3 months later...
I dunno. Sonnia really likes her soulstones, and it's really easy to run out.

Depends. If you are sticking with normal Sonnia then she needs every stone she can get. ASonnia though tend to use less(Since one of her manifest requirements makes her choose her other (0) action) and she relies on them less since she doesn't need to use confiscated lore once she manifests

I'm confused here. While reading the forums I've come across a reference to Asonnia not needing LOS to hit enemies with a Ca of 7+. Then reading this thread I see Nilus suggest she still has Confiscated lore. Neither of those abilities is on her avatar card, so I thought she lost them when she manifested. Am I wrong, or does she still have them somehow?

I'm confused here. While reading the forums I've come across a reference to Asonnia not needing LOS to hit enemies with a Ca of 7+. Then reading this thread I see Nilus suggest she still has Confiscated lore. Neither of those abilities is on her avatar card, so I thought she lost them when she manifested. Am I wrong, or does she still have them somehow?

That's not what Nilus said. He said that aSonnia doesn't require as many stones as the non-avatar version, since she won't be using confiscated lore (an ability that needs an SS to activate) before or after manifesting.

I don't know how to do them fancy quotes you do but Nilus said:

"she doesn't need to use confiscated lore once she manifests"

which implies that she has access to it.

But I'm not here to argue semantics. I'm wondering if she retains any of the abilities on the Sonnia Crid card that are not listed on her Avatar card and guessing from your answer I'll go with no unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks!

I don't know how to do them fancy quotes you do but Nilus said:

"she doesn't need to use confiscated lore once she manifests"

which implies that she has access to it.

But I'm not here to argue semantics. I'm wondering if she retains any of the abilities on the Sonnia Crid card that are not listed on her Avatar card and guessing from your answer I'll go with no unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks!

Well, to be fair, she doesn't need to use confiscated lore once manifested. the fact that she can't means this is a good thing.

But confiscated lore is there primarily to grant a tome to the casting cost. agile mind means she can just choose to have a tome(at the expense of a ram) in her casting cost, wiithout any soulstone spending.

Which means asonnia is going to spend lesssoulstones than mSonnia, but I maintain she is still going to want to spend quite a few. First, because her manifest requirement of 10 damage to enemies means you are likeley to want to cheat damage to severe on flame burst(and without using confiscated lore to ensure it goes off) in the first round or two, and because once they know you have aSonnia, a lot of crews will be gunning for you--and Sonnia doesn't fare well against ranged non magical attack, and a strong suicide melee'er can take her down as well.

I maintain that more stones is always better with Sonnia, but I will agree that aSonnia needs them less. I just think that mSonnia really needs more stones than she can get.

I maintain that more stones is always better with Sonnia, but I will agree that aSonnia needs them less. I just think that mSonnia really needs more stones than she can get.

I agree that aSonnia still needs stones - Adaptive Mind is great, but its actually less reliable than Forbidden Lore since you still actually need a Ram or Tome to get most of her spells off and casting master means she'll be casting more than mSonnia... Soul stones aren't the best way to off set this, but I've found myself flipping a soul stone in order to get that key suit more than once...

My thoughts exactly. Manifesting Sonnia to me is something you do after you've used most of your stones and at a point where you're probably locked in melee so you cant use your most wonderful blast spell. Once you manifest you can be more effective without eating through soul stones and you can now cast all of your spells in melee. Reminds me of going super saiyan (sp?) in DBZ when the good guys power is almost gone and the bad guy has him right where he wants him. Sorry bad guy but now your flesh is melted.

I haven't used her yet but I'm already in a mindset that +2 casting master or whatever its called is a nice bonus rather than something I'm going to be fully utilizing every round. Getting the required suits is easier but by no stretch a guarantee.

My thoughts exactly. Manifesting Sonnia to me is something you do after you've used most of your stones and at a point where you're probably locked in melee so you cant use your most wonderful blast spell. Once you manifest you can be more effective without eating through soul stones and you can now cast all of your spells in melee. Reminds me of going super saiyan (sp?) in DBZ when the good guys power is almost gone and the bad guy has him right where he wants him. Sorry bad guy but now your flesh is melted.

I haven't used her yet but I'm already in a mindset that +2 casting master or whatever its called is a nice bonus rather than something I'm going to be fully utilizing every round. Getting the required suits is easier but by no stretch a guarantee.

actually, I found she's a lot better at range as an avatar, because most of her things no longer require a resist duel.

while she's a little better against living creatures, in general, I found she's not much better in melee than she ever was--the big difference is she can do her (larger) inferno pulse(the name changed, I think, but the card isn't in front of me ATM) while surrounded by minons without hurting them. Of course, I've only managed to manifest her once, So I could be missing something.

the big difference is she can do her (larger) inferno pulse(the name changed, I think, but the card isn't in front of me ATM) while surrounded by minons without hurting them.

Searing Wave.

I think she's fine in melee or out - none of her spells require her to be out of melee now, and her melee attack can force models back into Pyre templates. She's very flexible in that sense. She can deal damage any which way.

She's a little fragile to everything except spells, but I would only cast magic against her if she's got no cards in hand at all - Blazing Counterspell is possibly her best ability in my opinion - against models that rely on casting like many masters do, it can be crippling...

• 1 month later...

A few Sonnia questions:

1. Do you run Totems with Sonnia a lot? If so, which?

2. How well do the Peacekeeper and Peacekeeper Jr. (read Hunter) go with her? Would you run both? I'm guessing Flame Wall shenanigans are the name of the game with them.

3. Does she need Buning token makers like Sue or the Gamin for effective use of her avatar?

4. Would you run her avatar form over a totem?

1. I don't think totems are necessary. The purifying flame has an ability that also wound itself. When it gets down to one wound you can cast violation on it to turn it into a stalker. The Governor's proxy has reasonable casting (for a totem) and can give a useful +2 wp boost.

2. I love the peacekeeper, and think he works well with anyone. Be aware that if you take him with anyone but Hoffman he can drain your hand pretty quickly if he starts flipping low on duels. Haven't found a decent use for the hunter yet - Sonnia can't use scrap counters! :)

3. You'll need some 50mm bases to use as blast markers. The avatar will need burning counters. A sticky note with the word "burning" on it stuck on the stat card of the relevant model should suffice.

4. I just got her avatar model and am absolutely planning to use it instead of a totem!

1. I don't think totems are necessary. The purifying flame has an ability that also wound itself. When it gets down to one wound you can cast violation on it to turn it into a stalker. The Governor's proxy has reasonable casting (for a totem) and can give a useful +2 wp boost.

2. I love the peacekeeper, and think he works well with anyone. Be aware that if you take him with anyone but Hoffman he can drain your hand pretty quickly if he starts flipping low on duels. Haven't found a decent use for the hunter yet - Sonnia can't use scrap counters! :)

3. You'll need some 50mm bases to use as blast markers. The avatar will need burning counters. A sticky note with the word "burning" on it stuck on the stat card of the relevant model should suffice.

4. I just got her avatar model and am absolutely planning to use it instead of a totem!

#3 Was about Burning Makers, not markers, aka Sue and Gamin. ;)

Only totem I take with Sonia is the student 4 blasts yes please but it isn't an auto include. Peacekeeper is to card heavy for Sonia so I wouldn't. Sonia I feel is the most card dependent guild master.

Hunter decent model with her and flame wall but to initiative dependent for my liking. I feel hunters are best suited with Sonia even more so than Hoff. They are a nice distraction and good vanguard to allow Sonia to get in prime location.

Her avatar is just aoe queen. She lays a world of pain on everything in 8-12" it is almost an auto include.