Elazar's Malifaux Log

Elazar

Hi, I'm Elazar, I've already introduced myself in the introductions forum but just to be polite at the start of my log I'm Elazar The Glorified from a lot of other wargaming forums and from The Glorious Works wargaming blog.

I'm just getting started off with Malifaux. My intention is to build a Hamelin The Plagued crew but whilst I'm waiting for his release *counting the days* I wanted something else that I could be painting/playing with in the mean-time. After much soul searching I decided on The Dreamer. This was a really difficult decision, not because there was a lack of options but because at best I could narrow my choices down to about 7 crew boxes that I wanted... Anyway, I really love the fluff and minis for the Dreamer and when I started flicking through Rising Powers and saw that he can have extra Teddies etc that was me sold!

Anyway, to get started a quick picture of a mock-up of my first four minis:

dscn0062a.jpg

There are Daydreams and Alps to add to the crew before it's ready to be played but they've all been ordered and I should have those in the next couple of days.

Lots to do to the minis before they're even ready for painting yet!

I have been thinking a lot about how I'm going to paint Teddy. Had a few ideas. The first one I had was the 'obvious' choice of like a Care Bear. And in particular, Grumpy Bear.

He already seems nearly grumpy enough to turn into a psycho killing machine... but, a giant blue bear, whilst hillarious would maybe be a bit of an eye sore...

grumpybear.jpg

So I've decided that his base is going to have a prone bear that he's savaged. This led me down the train of thought of Forever Friends for the irony but the bears for that are just plain boring and then I thought of the Tatty Bears. They're always on cards and stuff, I know my last few valentines cards from the Mrs have had the Tatty Bears on, so it just seemed right that such an image of sentiment be debased into a manically grinning, gore-smeared bear.... I also really like the contrast of the bright red with the greys and pale blue so seeing as Teddy has a heart shaped belly...

tattybear.jpg

Now, I've started making a bear for the base out of green stuff and have made a couple of patches for Teddy too just to make him look a little more beat up. He's all ready to paint now so should be WIP pictures soon!

Thanks for taking the time to have a quick read, even though I haven't gotten anything to show yet! I plan on making some scenery and dabbling with a few other minis/crews too so expect this log to eventually become chocker with WIP pics! :D

Images are copyright of their respective owners. Used without permission. All rights reserved.

Ha! With me in the equation it's more like 'sick minds think alike'! :)

You might be right... ;)

No painting updates I'm afraid. Mini-wise, my Alps and Daydreams arrived but sadly my Alps pack was missing the little jingasa style hat for one so I've contacted the good folks at Wyrd and hopefully I'll be able to get one sent out as I really want the hat!

Had my first 'game' last night. My opponent and I were both very much learning the rules on the fly but I think that's the most fun way to do things. We both learnt a lot, we skipped on VP etc just to learn the other mechanics to the game for now and so it was a brutal fight to the death between his Ortega Gunslingers and my Nightmare crew with my opponent finishing off my crew piece by piece thanks to the Companion (Family) activation chain being used to bully the big hitters into submission. Looking forward to playing more games now we're getting a better understanding of the rules!

I fed him a single model at a time which meant he could kill them piece by piece thanks to the Companion (Family) activation chain

Sorted that there for you mate, I know you love accuracy ;)

Really though in Elazars defence, we were just playing to learn the mechanics, and to be fair that meant he had to run at me, and running at the Ortegas is probably not a great way to have to play as a melee heavy crew.

We both had fun and learned a lot though, which is the big thing!

James.

Will post a proper update of Teddy later on or tomorrow as he's getting closer to being finished. Been working on some Malifaux scenery in the mean time when I've gotten the chance. Had plenty of family drama this last week though so it's been a very rare and valuable commodity!

Again, nothing interesting to see yet but thought I'd keep the project log up to date!

One of the projects I'm working on is a 4' x 4' swamp board. Not a lot to see here so far but a blow by blow account all the same. Our club needs some Malifaux scenery and a few of us are planning on getting the Terraclips once they get released so wanted to start somewhere else with the scenery so the Bayou seemed a good idea!

The board is built with two layers of foam board to each 2' x 2' square. The top layer has the shape of the swamps cut out so as to be able to create a realistic depth to them. To start with I drew the planned shapes of the swamps on the top layer to cut out. I realised that I'd have to make the banks from filler myself so drew an outline around the original shape to give me the space to do that without shrinking all the swamps below the size I'd planned on having them.

dscn0074q.jpg

After that the shapes of the swamps were cut out this was relatively easy, not least as I didn't have to be especially tidy as there will be lots of filler around the edges I've created.

dscn0075e.jpg

The top layer was then stuck to the bottom layer so as to create the bases of the swamps ready for them to all be filled which is what I'm currently working on.

dscn0077wf.jpg

Another scenery project I'm working on but more in the planning stage is a little Pioneer town so that we've got something to tie in with the nice western theme there. Not got anything to show for this yet other than a train that I've managed to procure!

dscn0079s.jpg

Every Wild West style town needs a train running through it! Was quite hard to get this one. The trains for 28-32mm gaming need to be roughly 0 scale to be the right size from what I can understand. I don't know if anybody has an interest in model railways here but those trains are exceptionally expensive! Anyway, I stumbled upon a company that sells these train sets but they seem to be relatively easy to find over there in the States but night impossible over here! Managed to find an old listing for one in the UK on ebay that had finished without bids so I got in touch with the person who'd listed it and they still had it. So, after much searching I have the train for another Malifaux board! Going to repaint sections of the train and add some shading & weathering too just to make it look less like a kid's toy but it goes backwards and forwards on the track and plays train noises too apparently... :D

No painting updates I'm afraid. Mini-wise, my Alps and Daydreams arrived but sadly my Alps pack was missing the little jingasa style hat for one so I've contacted the good folks at Wyrd and hopefully I'll be able to get one sent out as I really want the hat!

Still haven't had a response to this. What are the usual response times from the guys for this sort of problem? First time I've had to do the customer service thing with Wyrd so don't know how long I should allow before I start to cry because nobody is talking to me! :D

Welcome Elazar! Love your Mordheim stuff, can't wait to see what you do with Malifaux!

Thanks, really appreciate that! :)

Ok, said I'd post another progress picture of Teddy. He's nearly done, just a few last bits to do but I think it's very clear what the intention is with it all now at least

dscn0089h.jpg

dscn0091g.jpg

Yes, "NOM" seemed the obvious choice with the blocks! :D

Whilst The Dreamer isn't quite yet finished, I've been toying around with how I'll paint Coppelius. I like to plan the schemes out a little in advance if I can and sometimes even try them out on paper to see how the colours sit with eachother. I had considered an Orange Coppelius but then started playing with red, blue and yellow and the moment those colours were opened it turned into Coppelius, having stolen from Rupert The Bear's wardrobe!

dscn0099x.jpg

Forgive the fact that I'm really no artist!

I have to admit though, I'm thinking it might well be the way to go now. I will have to listen to "We All Stand Together" a few times to help get into the right mindset! :D

dscn0101m.jpg

Yes, ok, I admit it. I made my excuses to unpack the train set to "get a feel for it" on the boards. Obviously, this picture shows how much work I have ahead of me but I think it also shows the potential epicness of a battle fought across the train. There'll be a pioneer town that's sprung up around the train tracks. The train will be repainted, the boards will be textured and painted and of course the crews will be painted!

Looking forward to making a start on the Ortegas. I've deflashed Santiago and Perdita and cleaned up mold lines ready for painting. Got some Death Marshals on the way for the crew too.

• 4 weeks later...
You should totally hang a sign around Teddy's neck that states(in blood) 'does not play well with others.'

:D

Been busy finishing off some Flames of War minis but now they're done I can get back to where the hobby really is for me!

The beginnings of a building for Contract Town 19 - Posterity. This is just a crude mock-up but will serve as the framework for the rest of the building.

dscn0148p.jpg

and a sneak peak of a very WIP Perdita too!

More pics on The Glorious Works