Livonia, MI RIW Hobbies Feb 5 Mali Tourn

nerdelemental

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm agreeing with Mav on this one. what determines excellent vs good vs ooo look there's pretty colors. A tournament should be about having fun and being a good sport not how well you can paint.

I'm decent when I have time to paint but I like to try out new combinations and models so generally they dont have more than a base coloring done.

do you have to have been the one that painted them like in the last tournament or can you have pro painted(as example) models count for you?

Well...hard for me to share an opinion since Mav just called me out....

:motz:

...and I cannot even see the scoresheet Josh posted while I'm at work, but I think I've gathered the gist of it. Here's my mostly sincere opinion:

Trying new things out as Rob says, is really very important and I'll always encourage it. But I don't think there's anyone in the room with a collection half as large as mine yet and I'm painting everything to a decent level. I'm even hoping to come to the tournament with a fully painted crew run by a master I have very little time with.

Malifaux began as a hobbyist-driven company and part of the design of the skirmish level crews was BY painters and hobbyists that argued that if a crew could be 10 pieces or less then it would be possible to dabble with many different crews while still maintaining high painting standards.

If you're only painting to a "base color" standard, then maybe you don't deserve a prize that's geared to rewarding people who embrace the hobby element of the game. Dabble and have fun how you want. But some of us - even if we weren't in the dev team - or Henchmen - would still be showing up with solidly painted armies. Should they not be rewarded for devoting FAR more time than you with their models? And by far more, I mean my Sonnia has nearly 20 hours invested in her. Samael at least 14. Don't even get me started on how much time I put into Lord Chompy or that kitbashed Mature Neph. If I show up with a crew like that where I've speant more time making the game look more impressive than your steamrollering the noobs....why not offer a reward for that?

for you bowen:

opponent sportsmanship: pleasure to play against(3pt), not the best but still fun (1pt), total jerk (w/ explanation 0pt)

opponent paint: Excellent Painting & Basing(5pt), Nicely painted and based (4pt), Painted but not based (3pt), Good Effort (2pt), Well there’s paint on them (1pt), Bare metal or primer (0pt)

I went back and reread the initial post. Sounds like 3 separate categories that have nothing to do with each other so sounds good. Read into Mavs too much thinking they all got combined together, my mistake.

Yes, awarding someone for their talent and time spent on miniatures is good. I'm fine losing that one :)

The idea is to reward people who put effort in while keeping with a simple (non-biased) scoring system.

Since they'll have separate awards and collectively add to the lotto tickets you get, I felt awarding more points to things that take more effort is the correct way to do it.

It doesn't take much to not be a dick and sportsmanship while valid is an easy way to try and dink someone on points.

And since I'm putting up a board that took a lot of time and effort to make as the lotto prize, I'm gonna do it this way. With the hope that the person who wins has a fully painted crew, so they look good playing on the board.

Edited by jmp_mydog

Since this is a Valetine's Day Themed event, there will be a special rule in effect for the entire day.

Each board will have a fixed strategy and special event/terrain.

At the beginning of each round the TO will flip a card from the top of a deck. If the card is a heart/ram or a joker than the following rule will be in effect for the duration of the round.

Love is in the Air

Models attacking a model of the opposite sex receive a negative twist on CB duels, models attacking a model of the same sex receive a positive twist on CB duels. Constructs are sexless and neither rule applies to them.

I understand and appreciate your time and views. It's just that anytime a players standing(chance at winning a prize) is dictated by someone elses opinion, it makes me nervous. It just seems to open a bag of ugliness...

You beat the tar out of me so I'm gonna give you low scores for sportsmanship and paint so I feel better.

I don't really see this being an issue for anyone but NerdElemental( he's such a whiney baby!) in our local group, but you never know.

I understand and appreciate your time and views. It's just that anytime a players standing(chance at winning a prize) is dictated by someone elses opinion, it makes me nervous. It just seems to open a bag of ugliness...

You beat the tar out of me so I'm gonna give you low scores for sportsmanship and paint so I feel better.

I don't really see this being an issue for anyone but NerdElemental( he's such a whiney baby!) in our local group, but you never know.

I happen to agree with everything you just said.

<3

Understandable, but I'll also be checking the score cards and the paint score is pretty cut and dry except for the difference between 5 and 4 points. You can't really give somebody that has everything based and painted lower than a 3 or 4.

Sportsmanship is just there to encourage being nice, hence the number. If you dink somebody on it you have to give an explanation. It's also added because I'm expecting to draw people from outside the normal crowd and getting points for playing nice is good to keep a happy atmosphere.

Really this is just a test to see how I want to score events I run. I really liked Dave's lotto system before and am trying to improve upon it. I want these events to be about more than just stomping your opponents face. There's lots of other systems that handle face-stomping well enough that this game doesn't need to use that type of reward system.

fair enough josh.

for painted do you have to have painted them yourself or not?

if I forfeit my chance in the lotto can we have it be 40 stones? :D

Doesn't matter to me who paints them, just tired of seeing bare metal and primed models on the tables. (I know of a few paiting services that could help you out if you need)

I don't think the time allows for 40 stones. Also we still have people that only have a starter and a few extra models.

And I can only imagine what broken nonsense you have figured out for 40 stones, so we'll keep it at 35. (besides I already printed the flyers)

Edited by jmp_mydog

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question/clarification on the "Love is in the Air" special rule... I'm planning to bring some gremlins. Can I assume that pigs/undead pigs/mosquitos would also fall into the category of constructs in that they wouldn't count either way? I suppose that this question could be further extended to any beast/vermin models.

Well....except most of the gremlins see them as girls....

:fing02:

(jk: I don't know what Josh would rule on those, but it's safe to assume that non-humanoids are gender neutral when unobvious. My Razorspine might be neutral but my Young Nephilim's pretty clear. Hank, the Steamborg Executioner might need specifying, too.)