Greetings from Swansea-Wales

EdgeDs

Hello I am Ash and looking to get into the Malifaux game along with a couple of other potential players. We will be a self contained playing group and are looking into getting three initial crews and rule book and expansion rules.

The trouble I am having is finding enought background on the gangs. The scans on this site are a bit unclear on the box blurb for me too read.

Anyway the initial gangs we are thinking of getting are The Show girls for me. Lilith's brood for Melanie and Miners and steem fitters union for Peter.

Is their any additional purchases recomended for these sets? This is mainly just so I can get the initial order at the same time.

Welcome !

There seems to be a big influx of players from Wales coming on board at the moment, not that its is a bad thing !

A lot of people will tell you that the Showgirls are a tricky crew to start with, but if you are playing in a friendly environment, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The starter set is fairly well rounded and plays ok wihout any additions, although personally I would add a Coryphee as the model is amazing and they are absolutely deadly in-game. You will also want to find a proxy for Mechanical Doves, which are Colette's totem, as these have not been released yet.

For Lilith you will definately need to get the Young Nephilim. Liliths totem, The Cherub is also nice but not essential.

For The Steamfitters Union you will need some more Steampunk Arachnids... hopefully a Ramos player will be able to tell you how many, but I think its a case of the more spiders, the better.

If you have any more questions, please ask away !

firstly thanks for the quick reply, I have heard that the Show Girls are a bit tricky too start but it will be in a very freindly group where winning is no where near as important as playing for fun. I might well end up getting more than one crew anyway as I really find the minis really intresting and look to be great fun too paint, which is a very important part of the hobby for me. Thanks for the advice on the extra's too get as I may have to pop down to Firestorm games and dont want to make too many 100 mile around trips conning my landlord into giving me lifts is not too easy :D. I am also looking into getting Kirari as a second set what is her totem if you dont mind me asking just in case.

Then again with so many nice mini's I could end up spending rather too much on this hobby but that being said its certainly better value than some games companies we could mention

K's totem is the Lost Love, which is not yet released (although it is widely considered one of the best totems in the game and well worth proxying).

In a self contained group, having multiple crews per player is really a good thing (I have something like that going on for myself at the moment, but that's more because my schedual's crazy and not because the scene isn't there). The game itself is so inexpensive relative to other miniatures that you could conceivably get three well-fitted crews for the price of a small army in WM/H or even more again for one in 40K.

I would just add that Kirai is even less suited to a new starter than Colette. Her rules are quite confusing (to me, anyway) and she needs a lot of additions to her starter set for her to play to her full potential.

Don't let me put you off though. The mini's are amazing and once you get a few games under your belt, she can be very effective.

lol seems I am not so good at picking out a starter army for myself the models in the Kiari range are very awesome. Out of intrest though which are the more suitable crews for a beginer as their is not too many figures which I dont like in the Wyrd range.

I do love that picking up a crew is so reasonable and I am sure if we actually like the game that we will end up picking up a fair few.

lol seems I am not so good at picking out a starter army for myself the models in the Kiari range are very awesome. Out of intrest though which are the more suitable crews for a beginer as their is not too many figures which I dont like in the Wyrd range.

I do love that picking up a crew is so reasonable and I am sure if we actually like the game that we will end up picking up a fair few.

Whilst Collette and Kirai are both tricky I say just go for the crews you like. If you like them you will have more patience for losses than if you pick up a crew you don't love.

Also, Malifaux is such a fun game losses don't generally feel as bad as in some other games. At least that is the case in my experience.

whilst collette and kirai are both tricky i say just go for the crews you like. If you like them you will have more patience for losses than if you pick up a crew you don't love.

Also, malifaux is such a fun game losses don't generally feel as bad as in some other games. At least that is the case in my experience.

+1

got to agree with chucklemonkey whether their easy to pick up and play isn't going to keep you happy if you don't like the minis and soon find them boring to play with shortly after but then like you i got drawn in by the showgirls for the minis and if their tough to play with it just makes it more rewarding when you can play them well

...and welcome

Firstly thanks for the invitation to play Dumb Luck I dont know if I will get chance too if I can convince someone too take me down too Fire Storm most likely I will just be a fleeting visit, hows the parking down their though? Yes I do certainly like the figures of the Show Girls and would certainly be picking them up it was more of a concern about picking up two hard to play crews, that being said the reward for winning with something more difficult to play is always better and painting the minis is as big a part is not bigger a part of the hobby than actually playing the game.

• 2 weeks later...

The Guild crews are certainly some of the easier ones to use, as is Rasputina 9which is why I tend to use these for demos). On the other hand I always advise people to choose a crew they like the look of :).

Seems like quite a few players starting to appear in Wales, including 2 Henchmen (Dumb Luck & deadboy) who might be able to help you out with some intro games or other advice/help.

I have actually started with a couple of the Ressurectionists Crews after all The Undertakers lot finally arrived today and have Seamus on order. I still aim to pick up Colette though I really love the look of her models after I finish off getting a few more zombies for the Ressurectionists she will be next. You never know might even have had my rule books arrive by then and can actually get to play the game :D.

I would have to confess to actually being English but I do love living in Wales fantastic country.