Come here my Doll

Ratty

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just discovered your work and I've got to say it's simply stunning, especialy the bases !

I also like the colours you used, darker and more realistic than the ones I use.

I'm waiting for your next pictures !

Thanks a lot, I've been watching your thread and really like what you did with Zoraida, it definitely influenced my version quite a bit.

I've currently got the last Necropunk, a convict gunslinger and the 3 silurid on my painting station [1]. I was already considering using some orange on them to break up the green and your piccies definitely suggest that the mix works.

[1] with a couple of dogs, Sebastian, Miss Pack and Papa Loco lurking in the background

I'm currently working on 5 models simultaneously, this means that it is easier for me to do a running commentary on how I'm painting them (I don't have to take photos as often as I'm painting them all at a quarter the speed (Yes I know I'm painting 5, but it's going to take less time as I can batch so it's wouldn't be 1/5 of the time.)

WIPSilurid.jpg

For the Silurids I base coated the whole body with 2 or 3 thin coats of Brown Violet Vj. I then highlighted up the muscles using a mix of Brown Violet Vj (similar to catachan green) and Green Grey Vj (similar to rotting flesh). I then gave the whole model a wash of Dark Green Ink ex-GW and Chestnut Ink ex-GW.

WIPSilurid2.jpg

After the base coat on the Silurids (see the post 5 or 6 back).

I worked up from Brown Violet Vj to Golden Olive Vj in about 3 layers. wet blending in each layer with the previous ones. Once I'm up to using the Golden Olive Vj pure I then gave the entire model another Thraka Green GW wash. [see the Silurid on the Left]

I then worked up using another 3 coats from Golden Olive Vj to Yellow Green Vj. Once this was finished I gave it a water down coat of Thraka Green GW. [see the Silurid on the Right]

Damn, you're a fast painter !

Even though there was some mention of his parents earlier, I now believe that all to be a clever misdirection to hide the fact that he is actually a highly advanced robotic painting machine.

No human can paint that good, that fast!! It's inconcievable!

Now the question is do I make her pregnant?

Well, it's a lot of responsibility... ;)

Really like the Silurids. This is a great thread though with lots of lovely minis! Also, seeing as it's a post in one of your threads, thank you for all the work on the reference sheet, counters, strategy and scheme card etc, etc, they've really been a great help in getting started in the game!

I like the use of the Famous Familiars from GW as Wicked Dolls. I bought a pack for Jack o' Lantern to be an Infernal Puppet on a chaos sorcerer I made but the rest are just sitting at the moment. Might have to steal that idea at a later date so they see some use! :)

I also think the bases you've used throughout are brilliant it's too easy to fall into the trap of the bases becoming too eye-catching the more you do to them but you seem to get the balance spot on each time. They've got a lot happening on them when you look for it but the composition of the minis as a whole stops you from getting lost in the bases as I think can sometimes happen.

Keep up the awesome work, really enjoyed having some time to just slowly browse through this thread! Will have to have a look at your others now! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Right some more updates I've been getting my Dreamer crew based up as one of my local players is thinking of getting into the game and is interested in him. I've known him for years he's a old gamer, used to manage GW before I was even in Cambridge, so I have no worries with him getting to grips with him. I've got a demo at the end of next month when he's next in Cambridge so I thought I would see if I could get the crew done in time.

Anyhow I've carried on with the steampunk cog theme, this time I've managed to get my grubby lil paws on some semi whole clock pieces which have made a great base for the Dreamer and LCB.

WIPlcbf.jpg

WIPlcbb.jpg

WIPdreamer.jpg

I also put a piece of wire into the base of the tentacled Daydream and added an extra tentacle to give the whole thing the look it's skimming across the ground, though you can't see it in the picture.

Also got my Insidious Madnesses finished. They are actually made from a single insidious madness that has been sawn in half and then the top used as the legs of one IM and the bottom as the legs of the other. The extra tentacles coming out the back are from the sewer basing kit and the arms are mostly left over from Gaki, except the plastic one which is from the GW Chaos Spawn Kit along with some of the eyes.

WIPinsid1.jpg

WIPinsid2.jpg

And lastly a group shot.

WIPcrew.jpg

Great looking models here ratty! Your basing is particularly excellent!

Where do you tend to get all your gears/cogs etc? I assume watch-part packs from eBay and the likes?

I steal them off my girlfriend, but I also believe Hasslefree games sells pots of them.