another crazy idea!

Shinigami

hi all,

i jsut got another great idea that hit me this morning during my insomnia ravings,

Malifaux paddlewheelsteamer!

how awesome would it be to fight over one of those?

have a whole water table with some litle sandbanks and a rivershore for the boat to paddle trhough with neverborn on both sides trying to hold it up!

so i got lookign around and found this one

http://www.megahobby.com/mississippipaddlewheelersteamboatwoodenship1-80byartesanialatina.aspx

it looks nice and big, but the scale says 1:80 thats to small right? but then how big wil lthey be if theyre on the right scale?

i also found this page wich links to other kits, but they apear to be rc orientated ones i think...

http://www.steamboats.org/steamboat-model-building/rc-steamboat-model-kits.html

anny one got anny ideas?

thx!

Shinigami

cool idea and it'll look awesome when completed the problem is if you want it to scale you're going to have to scratch build it (which is feasable and would work out cheaper than any model kit anyway) as mali are 32mm and are the only range that which in scale terms is 1/50 (roughly, this is based on the average height of the human man to eye level 1610mm) and that model you show in 1/80 is more suited to miniatures that are 20mm

scale is a major problem with wargaming minis as very few are done on scale to any model kits so they'd be a bit disproportianate when put together (40k is worse as the infantry and vehichles are disproportionate already with infantry being roughly 1/58 and vehicles 1/35)

on the plus side though aircraft kits are commonly 1/48 which would be miniatures that are 33.5mm so would be the closest fitting stuff to the mali world which doesn't help in making a paddle wheel steamer it does bring up the plausability of having an airship as a terrain piece (though not nearly as practical to have a skirmish on as the paddle wheel steamer )

your best bet is to research the size of the boats (should be plenty of info out there ) and divide all dimensions by 50.3125 (make sure all measurements are in millimetres first) to get it exactly to scale

hehe, thx!

tough iam not sure ill finish it, thing is, i got manny ideas running through my crazy head, but iam veery poor in executing them...

iam a dreamer, things stay stuck in my head mostly...

thats why i was looking at model kits cause that would be the best way for me to do it,

is 1:50 a scale used in boat model kits? or is it 1:48 ? i know 1:48 exists...

hmm maybe i need to go peruse through some stores more :)

and how awesome would it be to center a story based campaign on the voyage of such a boat? :D

hi all,

i jsut got another great idea that hit me this morning during my insomnia ravings,

Malifaux paddlewheelsteamer!

I love it! Great idea.

You could make it big enough to have it take up a good portion of the table. Obviously you'd want it to be a waterline model and it could be multiple levels.

Take this for example:

DeltaQueen.jpg

The real life version is 285 feet long (86.9 m) and 58 feet (17.7m) wide... that's @ 5ft long and 1.16ft wide at scale proportions. Just a portion of this would take up near half a 3x3 play area. Seems to me you could model the proportions a little chunky and do a 3ft x 1ft. boat, add the dock and waterfront (maybe a boardwalk too!) and you have an entire play table.

Not sure that buying a plastic model would be the way to go. Wouldn't you have to cut off the bottom and flatten off the paddle wheel to make it look like it was sitting in the water? I wonder if you could scratch build the frame and buy bits like doors and railings to dress it up. Fundamentally it is just a box with a some balconies and a paddle on the back. Also, not all steamboats were super fancy. Some were a bit more utilitarian and would therefore not need quite the same amount of detail.

http://www.bibliobase.com/history/readerscomp/ships/html/sh_065900_northriverst.htm

A nice idea of how big to make it maybe?

-----

Other game ideas could also include (house rules required) boarding attacks (non-neverborn using 1 or more smaller ships to get aboard). Or the ship can be in a dock. Game types could be assassinate, steal the evidence, sink the ship (hide the evidence, lol). A four decked ship comprising of a steam/under deck, the "affordable quarters," upper class, and captain/crew. Throw in civvies while you're at it.

I was thinking of buying a model of a Wright plane (1/48?), maybe when I come back to the States, maybe coming up with a "destroy the prototype before take-off/steal the plans" kinda game set on a simple airfield.

thx all for the replies!

as for to see it through and the cash, wel like i said, iam not certain, but if it goes off ill certainly post pics!

scratchbuilding isnt my forte iam afraid, but i did find this model, might look alright?

http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Mantua/Mississippi%20Riverboat%20MA734/Mississippi%20MA734.htm

and yes i'd have to modify it to become a waterline model...

at the game club we do have some verry talented modellers, ill ask them for some help and see if they feel up for a "shared" project :)

this would indeed be a huge model and need a custom table, riverside docking and such, or a whole river board with some sandbanks and the edge of the bayou, neverborn boarding games would be awesome!

but there would also need to be room at the gamestore to store it and all...

all things id need to discuss,

but the main goal of the thread was to get it out there and get some feedback, thx all! :D

now tomorow ill see if its possible with the other gamers at the gamenight :)

I am aware of the Mantua-Panart-Sergal model, yes it does look the right scale but I don't know if it has an interior, and the price puts it so far out of the question I didn't mention it before.

Perhaps the Matchitecture boat is big enough?

Also there is the idea of the Reviresco boat, but as Revirescos 28mm minis are made to what they see as precisely 28mm scale (1/64) it's a bit too small. There are other card models online but they are also small; whether they can be resized depends on whether they are drawn as bitmapped or vectored images.

If vectored, they do not have very good textures, but can be used as plans...

I probably won't use paddlewheels as this is a fantasy version of 1901 and I know for a fact they had screw drives for watercraft (less vulnerable to the occasional cannonball.)

Therefore the flying machine idea intrigues me too; by then cars were invented and there were only two years to go until the first plane hopped into the air.

I bought four boilers from Rustyrail to power some small boats. The little things are going to look a right mess....

thx all for the replies!

as for to see it through and the cash, wel like i said, iam not certain, but if it goes off ill certainly post pics!

scratchbuilding isnt my forte iam afraid, but i did find this model, might look alright?

http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Mantua/Mississippi%20Riverboat%20MA734/Mississippi%20MA734.htm

and yes i'd have to modify it to become a waterline model...

at the game club we do have some verry talented modellers, ill ask them for some help and see if they feel up for a "shared" project :)

this would indeed be a huge model and need a custom table, riverside docking and such, or a whole river board with some sandbanks and the edge of the bayou, neverborn boarding games would be awesome!

but there would also need to be room at the gamestore to store it and all...

all things id need to discuss,

but the main goal of the thread was to get it out there and get some feedback, thx all! :D

now tomorow ill see if its possible with the other gamers at the gamenight :)

that'd be about the right scale but it looks a bit narrow even with customising it to have removable floors for multi-leveled combat there doesn't look to be that much play area on each floor

it could just be my eyes but the top deck looks only wide enough to fit about three minis on standard bases across...I think a shorter fatter one maybe needed bring on the dwarven paddleboat steamer