Templecon! February 4-6 2011

WEiRD sKeTCH

Calling all Volunteers!

Who here is planning to go to Templecon this year and would like to help run some events there?

Compensation is being figured out.

We're looking for two to three helpful volunteers to run a few demos as well as a small tournament or two.

Post here if you're interested!

TEMPLECON is a great Con. One that I wish I could go to myself!

I am 100% going to be at Templecon. Just paid for my Full Weekend pass. My plan is to play WarMachine on Friday then find some Malifaux games/tourney's.

I am very new to the game so not sure how helpful I would be however I will be participating in games/tourney's.

I have only played 3 games but love the game and have two fully painted crews.....Gremlins & Vics.

Right now there is nothing "officially" scheduled at Templecon for Malifaux, I just talked to Madam Ximone and she thinks the Warstore is going to run some stuff????

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to be a thread resser and bump this thread. We have times laid out for a couple of people to be running demoes, but if anyone (knowledgeable in the rules) still had interest in helping out for demos that weekend or just to volunteer some time during the tournament to solve rules disputes, it would be a huge help.

Just pm me or respond to this thread if you are attending Templecon the weekend of 2/4-2/6 and you're interested. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
So. Aside from everyone playing Lady Justice, how'd it go?

I guess I will give my version of the good, the bad, and the Ugly.

As a recap, there were ten players. Everyone got to pick a faction, and then make a 35 point list for each scenario. It was three round, with each round having its given Scenario. There was a list of maybe 4 or 5 schemes to choose from, and Faction Specific scenarios from the book were allowed. The others were stuff like assassinate, body guard, hold out, ect.

Scenario 1 was Slaughter, ran I think pretty much like the Book 2 version if not exactly the same. Scenario 2 each player took turns putting down a marker, and then models could interact with the marker to make a flip to grab tokens, the flip was pretty much like a prevent flip in terms of how many tokens you got. Scenario 3 was to invade your opponents half of the board.

I think only one person switched masters, so I will just run down the masters instead of the Factions.

4 Lady J, 1 Perdita, 2 Collette, 1 Von Schil, 1 Rasputina, and 1 Dreamer. First Place was Colette, second Perdita, and third went to Von Schil. The difference between First and Third was 1 point, and I think although I am not sure, but the difference between 4th and third was about 5 points.

I think everyone had a good time, I think the people running it did a good job, and I was very happy with the terrain setup.The schemes probably should have been a little more cut throat I think for a tournament, but that is just a personal opinion. I lost my last game and still ended up with 7 points the way the scoring was done. Other then that one, and I would very much like to call it, Constructive, Criticism, I was very happy with the tournament. I think it was incredibly fun, and I got the impression others felt that way as well.

Edited by ProdigalPunk
misspoke

I thought the tournament was very well run and had a good time as well. I played Colette and took top spot in the event.

The only thing that could be adjusted was like PP said the competetiveness of the second scenario. You could get 7 points in both without ever having to engage your opponent in combat.

Also I am not sure that using a victory point system is a valid way to track a malifaux tournament. For instance. The second place player and myself were tied at the end of the three rounds with 23 points.

To determine the winner between us they used strength of schedule, which in the end cost the perdita player the victory because he had shutout two of his opponents, while I had only shut out one of mine. You could argue I played better opponents, but you can also argue he was better then I was.

you would need to give me time to figure out a better way to do it, but it would be hard.

I thought the tournament was very well run and had a good time as well. I played Colette and took top spot in the event.

The only thing that could be adjusted was like PP said the competetiveness of the second scenario. You could get 7 points in both without ever having to engage your opponent in combat.

Also I am not sure that using a victory point system is a valid way to track a malifaux tournament. For instance. The second place player and myself were tied at the end of the three rounds with 23 points.

To determine the winner between us they used strength of schedule, which in the end cost the perdita player the victory because he had shutout two of his opponents, while I had only shut out one of mine. You could argue I played better opponents, but you can also argue he was better then I was.

you would need to give me time to figure out a better way to do it, but it would be hard.

I'm glad you enjoyed the tournement overall.

The second scenerio is something that I get mixed responses about, I intend to either change it or replace it at some point but I just need to come up with something better...

VP... This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things. We use VP for two major reasons. First VP are integral in the game of malifaux, its one of the few games that you can win and not have any models left on the feild. Secondly statistically speaking it gives more variation then any other method od scoring, so therefore you should have less ties. There is probably a better way to score a game in malifaux, but for the life of me I can't think of a better way that still fits, and I've given it alot of thought.

But anyways. If you enjoyed playing this year be sure to come back next year for an even bigger and better tournement!

On a side note, someone who played in the tournement lost a model, I have it with me. If its yours let me know and I'll pop it in the mail.

I am glad the event went so well and I hope we can continue to help make Malifaux a bigger deal every year at Templecon. (we have a long way to go to catch up to WM/H :P )

Special thanks goes out to the NJ Gamer guys for providing the awesome terrain and taking care of business!

Kevin (from the Warstore)

I went all three days and I have to say, the staff running the demos were nothing short of phenomenal. They were extraordinarily helpful to new players such as myself and friends and explained things thoroughly without being too brief or too detailed. My friends and I were very impressed and they pretty much sealed in our mind that this is well worth the investment you make in it, especially since we all plan on playing for a long while!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...