Absolute noob, just saying Hi!!

Absolution Black

As the title suggests, i am an absolute noob to the world of Malifaux. I only garnered an interest after a friend gave me an unwanted model someone had got for him...it was an unpainted Colette.

Fantastic model and though he didn't play Malifaux he knew about the game. I had a look on here, had a quick read and thought 'I like the sound of this'!! So I have now ordered both rulebooks which will hopefully arrive before xmas, so i can begin to peruse my initial purchases.

I feel i will already collect Colette and her gang as the miniatures are just sensational. As for a second gang i was thinking either Rasputina or maybe seamus.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and hopefully i will be contributing fully to this forum soon after xmas...now to convince my better half to play a couple of practice games with me once I decide on the figures I want!

Welcome my dear! As my name states, im Hayzel! *offers hand* Colette is a beauty, just a shame she is an arcanist! I'm a Neverborn lover through and through. You will find the sweet screams in the evening quite enjoyable! :D So I say again welcome to this side of the breach. Take my hand and I will show you the wonders of all that is strange and crazy in the land of Neverborn. :) But if you feel the urge to go to the resurrectionists or the arcanists, have fun! There are some rather unique characters there. heheh! ttfn

*** Takes your hand and kisses it ***

Thank you my dear for your introduction. A pleasure to make the aquaintance of such a beautiful lady. I have toyed with the idea of joining the Neverborn but I'm afraid at the moment, Colette and her delightful girls are just too alluring to a wandering gentlemen as myself.

Whilst pleasing on the eye, there is something captivating about a lady so steeped in the magical arts, never a dull moment!

Maybe we shall meet again soon, hopefully as friends. I would hate to think my choice of companions would repulse a fair vision such as yourself!

*Stares at Black and snatches hand back*

You have made a good choice with Colette, even though she is a tough set to start with, she is absolutely gorgeous. I too had your weakness and have Colette and her crew, as well as Kirai and her lovelies as i just loved her model and fluff. A wonderful crew i have to say is Lilith and her nephilims. they are just DELIGHTFUL! :D

I shall research them at length!

In all seriousness, have i picked a really difficult crew to begin with? Or is it the same as in most games, that practice will make perfect?

And as i can see you have several crews already, can you recommend another starter crew that might be more suited to an absolute noob like myself? Don't want to put myself off by struggling too much!

And are there lots of players around you in Lincoln? Hardly anyone in my gaming group has heard of Malifaux, so I could be in for a tough time in finding opponents lol!

Alan

You haven't. You have picked a crew that excels at mobility and objective completing, but is rather fragile when it gets caught. A lot of people balk at the idea of starting with Colette, and claim its a bad way to get into Malifaux, but I can name at least one player who uses them exclusively, and figured out how to handle them a few games in.

There is no bad way to get into Malifaux really, every master can be ... well mastered if you put in the time and effort. Colette isn't really that bad, just do your home work and make sure you remember all her abilities, there are a lot heh. If you need to, make a cheat sheet to help you learn and you will be off to a roll in no time!

As for your second crew, go with what you like man. Raspy and Seamus are both very solid.

Oh and, Welcome to the boards!

Thanks guys, that has reassured me...I usually pick things up quite quickly.

Her playstyle appeals to me as I believe she excels at hit and run style tactics. In the other gaming systems I play, I tend to use a similar approach so here's hoping it all runs smoothly!

And I am really looking forward to painting her and the rest of the crew. Will try and post some pics when I do!

Alan

The first time you get Mannequin Replacement to trigger, you'll be hooked for life. My regular opponent loves doing it to Santiago Ortega. So much so that I think she might be getting a Mannequin to customize for the occasion.

Also, there is currently a stellar Tactica for the Showgirls on the Arcanist section of these boards. Its comprehensive, fun to read, and will give you unlimited ways to take down your opponents.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

Oh! You haven't even read up on the backstory of Colette and the 'Girls!

They are pretty cool, and very important to the Arcanist movement.

No not yet! I just love the figures ;)

The books are on order but I can't wait!

And sorry Jonas, but I feel I might have been swayed by the lovely Hayzel.....I am going to order a Pandora crew and a Lilith crew when my bonus comes through. Building these, reading the rules and hopefully getting a few games under my belt...thats my xmas hols sorted!

No not yet! I just love the figures ;)

The books are on order but I can't wait!

And sorry Jonas, but I feel I might have been swayed by the lovely Hayzel.....I am going to order a Pandora crew and a Lilith crew when my bonus comes through. Building these, reading the rules and hopefully getting a few games under my belt...thats my xmas hols sorted!

Lilith is very cool. I'm actually a bit of a Nephlilim fan, especially with the models they gained from Rising Powers.

Nekima is a force to be reckoned with, and the Black Blood Shaman is so cool.