New to Malifaux - Advice on scenery and modelling

shuttler

Hey everyone.

I've just ordered 2 box sets for Malifaux so I can get them painted up and put on a game for other tabletop friends to see if I can generate some interest.

I'd like to make it interesting and build a small set of scenery, enough to make a starter game for 2 people interesting.

Any ideas for scenery sets that look suitable for the world?

I'm yet to receive my rule book so have little info about the lore or the setting although I understand its western flavour.

Thanks

It's hard to descripe Malifaux with any one word (other than maybe Malifesque - which probably doesn't really mean alot to you - yet!).

You can't really go wrong with the terrain though..

Regardless of whether you decide to make a board featuring dark alleys of a Victorian Horror universe, a ramshackled mining town of the old west, clockwork factories with steampunk machines everywhere or maybe a snow clad mountain it's going to be there in Malifaux, somewhere, fitting in in its own way that somehow makes sense in the grand scheme.

Well.. Actually you should probably stay clear of oceans, but other than that it's there!

Which two crews have you chosen though? Certain ones might fit better into one style than the others.

I recommend that you start with the special scenario terrain, like a cemetary or the soulstone vein, as described in the encounters section. They're useful for the game and extremely characterful.

Our League group here in Cincinnati did just that-

we all (Made)contributed terrain based on our Masters "Themed" zones (more or less) and all based upon the encounters

Guild court house(Stucco & Wood-slat)

Sewer system (victorian stone and Teracotta pipe)

Theater (Western/Alaskan Boomtown )

Western styled Hotel

Sherifs outpost (Puebla styled)

Scrapyard (brass & clockwork clutter)

Swamps/Bayou shantys

Cheap and stupid terrain for the lazy or the indecisive:

Boxes. Seriously. Box lids, especially. They make fantastic terrain for this game. My group has used them as long buildings, fenced fields, walled rooms, hillocks, berms, and dig sites.

Big solid things. Small buildings, rocky things, piggy banks, plaster models of all kinds, etc. Something to generate LoS and provide that elusive "Creepy Structure."

Deck Protectors. I have blue and red deck protectors and they very quickly make water features. Or lava features.

Cotton Wadding. Solid fog is an always-amusing terrain bit.

Other Models. Big and small models from other games make great statuaries, standing terrain pieces, and the like.

Cheap and stupid terrain for the lazy or the indecisive:

Boxes. Seriously. Box lids, especially. They make fantastic terrain for this game. My group has used them as long buildings, fenced fields, walled rooms, hillocks, berms, and dig sites.

Big solid things. Small buildings, rocky things, piggy banks, plaster models of all kinds, etc. Something to generate LoS and provide that elusive "Creepy Structure."

Deck Protectors. I have blue and red deck protectors and they very quickly make water features. Or lava features.

Cotton Wadding. Solid fog is an always-amusing terrain bit.

Other Models. Big and small models from other games make great statuaries, standing terrain pieces, and the like.

With it being a Steampunk setting you forgot to mention tin cans as pressure tanks. Nice fast impassible terrain.