"Fleshing Out" McMourning

Doctor Amos

I started with the 'Borne, and I think I've gotten as much from them as I can without a new book. Thus, I am thinking of jumping to the Ressurectionists as a second faction. I really love the look and playstile of Dr. Douglas Netchurch. I mean Dr. Herbert West. I mean McMourning. However, his box is somewhat limited in SS scope, especially if you plan on summoning the Frankenstein rather than deploying him with the crew. While a proxied Rogue Necromancy seems appropo, I was curious as to what additional models might help to round out his oddly alive crew.

I started with the 'Borne, and I think I've gotten as much from them as I can without a new book. Thus, I am thinking of jumping to the Ressurectionists as a second faction. I really love the look and playstile of Dr. Douglas Netchurch. I mean Dr. Herbert West. I mean McMourning. However, his box is somewhat limited in SS scope, especially if you plan on summoning the Frankenstein rather than deploying him with the crew. While a proxied Rogue Necromancy seems appropo, I was curious as to what additional models might help to round out his oddly alive crew.

Dr. McMourning is, no doubt, an awesome master. He's a total beast in melee (albiet fragile if handled incorrectly), he has some devastating spells, and can summon the more nasty monsters in the game. I would definitely recommend having a rogue necromancy proxy as well as a flesh construct (or two, depending on your playstyle) on the side lines ready to join the fray.

As far as models to start with, it's always good to bring the zombie chihuahua and a couple of canine remains. The dogs add a lot of flexibility to your crew, whether they're racing forward to grab objectives / table quarters, or staying behind to be slain by McM himself to bolster the undead ranks with fouler creatures. I also never leave home without one rotten belle and a convict gunslinger. These two in tandem are an absolutely devastating duo. You really can't go wrong. Punk zombies and crooked men also often find their way into my lists based on what the strategy / schemes are for the match. Crooked men can be a bit tricky to master, but once you have the hang of how they work, you'll be happy you learned how to use them.

Hope this helps!

I would definetly get some Canines and probably some Belles aswell were I to start out with Douglas.

I'd also switch Sebastian with Mortimer, but there's been long discussions on that topic and I think in the end it's a matter of taste and individual playstyle.

Edit: Oh and.. Given the recent changes to the Chihuahua I think I'd rather bring the Grave Spirit to be honest.

I would definetly get some Canines and probably some Belles aswell were I to start out with Douglas.

I'd also switch Sebastian with Mortimer, but there's been long discussions on that topic and I think in the end it's a matter of taste and individual playstyle.

Edit: Oh and.. Given the recent changes to the Chihuahua I think I'd rather bring the Grave Spirit to be honest.

I agree with everything. I always bring morty over seb and now I bring the grave spirit. And a belle or two always make it in.

Sebastian.

Many, many times have people tried to run on my dog pack with say, Teddy, a "big daddy" (Mature Nephilim), or some other thing...to realize that when you don't kill him in one turn...you die.

He leads the pack, he can tear through lots of weak models with Bloody Harvest, and he is just nicer in combat.

But yes, it is a matter of taste.

It seems I am facing a losing battle of opinions, but I use Sebastian with everyone...even Nico.

Aside from that, I usually don't use anything but Canine Remains, Frankies, Sebs, some Punk Zombies and the Grave Spirit.

That's in....no need to fix what isn't broken.

Tag the totem along with a Frankie and run him in there as the leader of the squad of punks...Hard to Wound 2, 10 Wds and now Armor 2?

that's awesome.

But I like Sebastion, he's so choppy...

Maybe I should take both.

Thats a bad idea imo. They fill similar roles, and if you take both of them thats a whopping 13 points... And one of our greatest strength is the mass of cheap models we can bring for summoning materials and out-activating the enemy.

You should take which one you like, Morty has better summoning, supporting and counter-gaining abilities, while Seb is much better in combat, especially vs. clustered opponents..

And I can only second those who recommend Belles, Canines and the Convict, they are awesome.

McMourning's box set is decent, but you need to add a load of Canine Remains to make it worthy.

People will say that two nurses are stupid, but two nurses + an armada of dog-missiles and a master factory-ing out Frankensteins, that, in turn, become Frankenstein missiles is not something desireable to deal with.

I still think the zombie chihuahua is worth it's ONE point. Nothing has made me laugh more than having a high card and using dissect with that little bugger. Also, as you make your way up the field it's good for McM to be able to get the corpes of the models killed by your front line without going out of his way. Sure, it's not what it used to be, but it's in no way useless.

I still think the zombie chihuahua is worth it's ONE point. Nothing has made me laugh more than having a high card and using dissect with that little bugger. Also, as you make your way up the field it's good for McM to be able to get the corpes of the models killed by your front line without going out of his way. Sure, it's not what it used to be, but it's in no way useless.

It wasn't my intention to say it's useless..

The Grave Spirit however also just costs ONE point, and have the same Ca so does Dissect just as well..

I simply feel the other abilities of the Spirit are more desirable than those of the Chihuahua.

The Spirit is a Spirit so doesn't dissect as well. you can get 5 body parts off a Chihuahua, 3 for the Dissect/2 for the Body Counter. The Spirit only gives the 3 for Dissect.

... We're talking about the Totem casting the Dissect spell through Douglas' Magical Extension.. Also Dissection is being reworded not to leave Corpse Counters I think - so if you aimed Dissect at your Totem the Spirit would yield just as many Counters as the Chihuahua...

My first crew-they are really fun!!!

Mcmourning- fragile when not used properly but is a combat beast. Can regen wound. DO NOT use as a factory, thats nicodem! Usually needs to go last to regen his wounds

Sebastion-dmg pulse is great, lovelu dmg arc. ignored or a target, he will always help your cause

Canine remains-awesome, always use in packs as they are not insignificant. Rabies and hunting pack are both great. Only cost 2ss. Can alpha strike with sebastion

Belles (&sybelle) amazing in this crew, never leave home without one! have literally, with mcmournings scalpel slinging, won me games, as he can rocker across the table. if you have spare ss, take sybelle as i think she is great

FLesh construct-I really like them, but always summon them

Necrotic remains-great, great, and great! Prefer to summon, but thats is trickier now with new rules to dissection (assuming they have been changed, i dont have the new card)

Bette-I love, can be great, but priccey. Awesome if used correctly, but i fins shes very situational

Datsue-ba I am trying her out, too early to tell but adds a whole new dimension to the crew

Crooked men-blasts/shooting can be game changing with this crew

I tend to take@ 25ss

Mcmourning

Sebastion (6ss)

2 Belles (8ss)

Chihuahua (1ss)

5 Canine remains (10ss)

OR

Mcmourning

Sebastion (6ss)

1 Belle (4ss)

Chihuahua (1ss)

4 Canine remains (8ss)

2 crooked men (8ss)

Hope some of my ramblings are helpful

It wasn't my intention to say it's useless..

The Grave Spirit however also just costs ONE point, and have the same Ca so does Dissect just as well..

I simply feel the other abilities of the Spirit are more desirable than those of the Chihuahua.

Grave spirit can be grea with Mcmourning or necrotic terror. I prefer the cheaper totem however, for those extra BP tokens.

The Spirit is a Spirit so doesn't dissect as well. you can get 5 body parts off a Chihuahua, 3 for the Dissect/2 for the Body Counter. The Spirit only gives the 3 for Dissect.

I may have missed something here, so please correct me if im wrong (i often am lol) but if dissection is a melee spell, surely the spirit ability is nullified?? (I may be wrong or missing the point tho ratty, so my apologies if i am/am wrong!)

Grave spirit can be grea with Mcmourning or necrotic terror. I prefer the cheaper totem however, for those extra BP tokens.

If you'd read this very thread you'd see that there's no extra BP counters to gain from taking the Chihuahua (other than the 1SS corpse counter it leaves behind when it dies in some other way than being dissected).. And both Totems cost the same. So not really sure what you're getting at here.

Also Ratty was at no point talking about how much damage Dissect does to spirits.. I think you misunderstood something there aswell :S

I don't see the point in raising Canines with Douglas so I think that's a strange piece of advice you're giving there.

If you'd read this very thread you'd see that there's no extra BP counters to gain from taking the Chihuahua (other than the 1SS corpse counter it leaves behind when it dies in some other way than being dissected).. And both Totems cost the same. So not really sure what you're getting at here.

Also Ratty was at no point talking about how much damage Dissect does to spirits.. I think you misunderstood something there aswell :S

I don't see the point in raising Canines with Douglas so I think that's a strange piece of advice you're giving there.

Yeah, probs did mis-understand with the spirit thing. I will re-read.

I was referring to the fact you can sacrifice the totem at any point and gain BP to Mcmourning, that was all and I like this ability. I usually use him to cast Mcmournings spells (obviously) but also to gather corpse counters- he can then use fetch to give them too mcmourning (2BP's per counter).

I would never raise canines, but a necrotic terror is great if you can summon it, which is why i think the BP are really important.

As i said in my original post, most ppl seem to like the grave spirit, whic his cool. I just prefer the chihuaha is all.

Edit: got it, read the follow up post ( no CC). My advance apology stands!!! lol

Edited by McDoogle

Ah well yeah I suppose the Backup Materials can be useful at times with its unlimited range.. :S

Seems like I misunderstood you on the Canine Remains aswell however, which I just assumed was what you were referring to as Necrotic Remains.. Now you call it Necrotic Terror, but I still have no clue as to what you're talking about? xD

Sorry, i mean the rogue necromancy!!! (just checked book)

I tend to invent words and terms without realising it (retarded dyslexic), sorry! FOr instance, I genuinely believed that McMourning was called McDoogle for the first few weeks of playing him, and I referred to him solely as McDoogle without realising it, hence the (private-but-ironic) username i later adopted!

My apologies I basically mean uber-big-killy-chimera-undead-things (which i usually call a hydra or necrotic terror-special huh!!!!lol)

Either works to be honest-for my style of play is becomes about

a)whether or not i think i can get body parts quick enought to raise him v survieability GS gives and

b)do i have enogh ss, either due to another model i want to take, or having an extra soulstone for McMourning ( I usually use alot of his keeping him alive and killing things with dissection.

I also much prefer the chihuahua model, which, on balance porbably swings it for me the most!

Edited by McDoogle

You mean Rogue Necromancy, huh? I call mine Fifi.

lol my isnt its names, i just re-invent its type/species constantly. ID probably call mine Fido (its the most obvious choice after dog but thats the chihuahuas name.) Although I love the image of a poodle fifi conjours up....

McMourning kills enemy minion.

McMourning gains body parts.

McMourning raises FiFi.

Fifi activates.

Fifi attacks 3 times......munch, munch munch

Yep,huntroll that DEFINETLY works for me!!!!