Showgirls WIP - my first wyrd mini paint (I am new to painting mini)

vegel

154778_10150338661120122_696750121_16184124_492877_n.jpg

Hi everyone

I had been lurking here for a long time now, I started painting about three months ago, did about 4 sets of warhammer plastics (warrior of chaos set, dark elf on cold ones, goldins) and a few metal (dark elf exe, chaos lord, brit standard bearer) so now I have a crack at wyrd's mini; I got a set of freebooters too but that have to wait

so I got a transperant metal primer, then I white prime it again, purple yellow base coat with a few highlighting, need to do a lot of highlighting and the base.

yea... not that good really, I did this at night to relax myself and it's not really for gaming.

tips/comments welcomed ^__^

---------

Finally, I completed a few more... those eyes are killing me!! the blue performer, I washed her face off 7 times before getting this... decent result!! Did pinning to put the arms on the Coryphee, I like how Cassandra turns out, got really frustrated with Colette's eyes but finally pulled through (I think) decent results....:

165540_10150383588995122_696750121_17029423_1398945_n.jpg

162737_10150384847225122_696750121_17053194_3272890_n.jpg

167432_10150384847335122_696750121_17053195_1796777_n.jpg

168129_10150384847410122_696750121_17053197_2902793_n.jpg

Edited by vegel
WIP updates

Really, not bad. Yes it could use a bit more highlighting. A brownish yellow in the darkest recesses might help the yellow a bit.

My biggest advice is to clean the flashing off the models, I can see a mold line down the right arm. They always stand out more once they're painted.

Edit: Oh, and what do you have going on on the stockings, looks like a cool effect?

First off thanks for the encouragement : )

My biggest advice is to clean the flashing off the models, I can see a mold line down the right arm. They always stand out more once they're painted.

Edit: Oh, and what do you have going on on the stockings, looks like a cool effect?

yea the flashing... I am afraid to clean it off because I might over do it and lost the details? and with the stockings... actually I can't get the laces out clearly enough to paint them.

my steps in painting them were: glue-like metal primer (Japanese stuff), white prime, then purple (GW paint), then very dry brush with grey so that I can get the details out, then fine paint them or highlight...

with the stocking the laces are pretty much a mess... perhaps it's because my primer is a bit too thick, but then even after I clean it off I still can't see the lines, so at the end I left it undone and would be just 'drawing' a few crosses around the front of the boot. same thing with the line after the upper yellow ribbon on the arm, I can't see the details so I just painted/drawn it....

Very nice for your first miniature.

To help with flashing I always use a modeling knife and gently scrape the flash away, this way you can be more precise than using files.

I started to use knife last night, yes it really did give good precision but it's pretty scary when I was cleaning near the folds or face :P

The trick with a hobby knife is to scrape, not cut. Keep the blade perpendicular to the surface, or even angled a little backward to the direction of movement, and use very little pressure. It takes time because it'll take off very little at a time, but that's to the good when you're not yet comfortable with it. As you get more comfortable, you'll just naturally move into more direct techniques.

Oh, yeah, and very nice job. I've seen people that have painted for years do worse.

• 3 weeks later...
The trick with a hobby knife is to scrape, not cut. Keep the blade perpendicular to the surface, or even angled a little backward to the direction of ...

Oh, yeah, and very nice job. I've seen people that have painted for years do worse.

Thanks for the Tip :) I am now working on Lady C and the line on her runs straight down the sides O_O I did the hobby knife cleaning and also a lot of sanding too... (1200 paper)

It seems to me that wyrd mini is a bit rough on the surface, especially on the face, so when I paint them it got really bumpy, so now I sand them a bit (more like a gentle rub) until it got shiny, works out prety ok

• 5 weeks later...

thx :)

I am still struggling with doing wet blending... so whenever I hightlight I need to spend a lot of time successively mixing/lightening the color =.=

I did feathering with the lighter color but it I think my 'feathers' strokes are still a bit too big.. so it looks a layer stretched over the surface :(

Any tips pls...?

Absolutely fantastic paint jobs on the crew. I love what you've done for cassandra. As my premier crew I really need to get painting on my own darling girls, but life commitments are preventing me getting started!

But soon i hope to post some of my own attempts on here...I have a definite idea of how I want them to turn out.

When your highlights get too harsh, take your mid-tone color and thin it down a lot and wash it over the area to tone it back down.

I always have trouble thinning paint... are you using only tap water or those medium like flow agent? now I am resorting to GW Wash but those are pretty expensive :(