New to Malifaux

bigznola

I've just begun playing Malifaux using a friend's starters. I've played miniature games for many years and I really like the card deck mechanics of Malifaux. Also, the miniatures are really nice.

I'm still trying to figure out which faction I will get for myself. Are there any masters that are good for new Malifaux players?

Since Malifaux isn't a game that requires large armies, I'll probably end up with more than one faction. My friend is playing the Guild so I am trying to start with one of the other factions.

Hi and welcome! Great to hear you're liking the game system. I know you'll be able to get a ton of ideas about starting crews from the people around the boards, so I'll leave that up to them (I don't want to appear bias toward any Masters!! :D). But I figure that I can at least welcome you to the boards and to the game, we're happy to have you! I hope you really enjoy your time here. And yes, multiple factions seems to be the way many people go, as it can keep the game fresh because you can play a different master each time you play!

And yes, multiple factions seems to be the way many people go, as it can keep the game fresh because you can play a different master each time you play!

and Eric is not at all biased, he gains nothing at all if you buy lots and lots of models off him :P

(I'm getting the Dreamer next, damn addictive game)

Welcome aboard! You really can't go wrong picking any faction and master. Just find a mini set that appeals to you and start playing. The game requires just a few figs so it's not very expensive to have multiple crews. Part of the fun of the game is discovering what works best with what.

I cut my teeth on Lady Justice who is fairly straightforward... run at stuff and chop it to pieces. Lilith would be a good starter too.

As a quick guide, the Guild Lady Justice crew has strong Melee potential, where the Ortegas are more shooty. Arcanists tend to be more ranged combat but the Marcus crew and their beasts are strong Melee. Resurrectionists have strong melee especially the Nicodem Punk Zombies, but Seamus has some shooty as well. And of course, Neverborn have some of the best Melee in the game with Lilith being an absolute terror in combat, while Pandora can pick you apart at range.

If you are ever in Atlanta, stop by Giga-Bites and throw down with us.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum! If you decide to go Guild, I will agree with the above that Lady J is a great jump in point, and the models are sweet too!

If you want to start somewhere else, try Lilith. Similar style to Lady J (hit hard and get stuck in), though you may need to get extra models (young nephilim and maybe the cherub) to have the most impact.

But as others have said, choose the crew you like the look or feel of the most!

• 2 months later...