New to the game.

Kds54

Hello everyone. I'm a long time gamer playing lots of gw and pp stuff but am really interested in starting malifaux. Is there anything anyone can advise with where to start? So far i've ordered the rulebook and would like to get a box set(maybe the Viktoria's) is this a good place to start for a bigginer? Cheers Karl

The Viktorias are a great starting army, though the box is not the best list, I would also get the convict gunslinger and the Ronin to go along with the box.

If you just want something that is good and easy to play with and learn the game on, I would but the following instead of the box

Vikortia 1 bister

Vikortia 2 bister

The Ronin (comes with 3 Ronin witch is awesome) Blister

The Convict Gunslinger blister

and one more blister depending on the kind of player you are, If you just want a basic list to play with choose one of the following to finish your list,

1. If you like shooty armies then Hans is your man, he is a long range man that is a good fit in a Viky Crew. there are only a hand full of characters that have a 16 inch range and hans is one of them.

2. If you want a heavy Melee list then look at Telor she has a great hammer that will sort out any issues you may have that can be solved with a hammer.

3. If you want someone a little more intresting in the same melee feild there is Misaki, she has a load of good fighting melee base spells and some sweet ablities, she is not as striat forward as Telor but she is just as good.

4. If you want a more tricky magic based model to add to your list then I would Look at Hamelin, he is an intresting character that can even make your opponets models do your bidding.

Well I hope this helps, I found when i bought the Viky boxset that there were two models I never use and since i pefer hans myself to Telor she rarely gets uses, so I mainly use just the Viks from my box so buying them outside the boxset is worth it if you ask me to focus more on getting models you need.

Well like I said I hope this helps you get started

-Andrew

Viktoria plays a big part in the story in the first book, but I don't think she's mentioned at all in the second one..

Also the Viktorias are considered a fairly straightforward crew so suitable to learn the rules with and such :)

Personally I'd get the box and a pack of Ronin from the start (although alot of people, would suggest getting the blisters individually as they find Johan and Bishop a tad expensive/boring/whatever).

For further additions I would look to the The Freikorps.

I'd always take Von Schill over Hans and the Librarian is an interesting addition aswell.

Sorry for thread hijacking, but I really ask myself the same questions like the OP and there is no reason to open two of the sme threads:

Vikortia 1 bister

Vikortia 2 bister

The Ronin (comes with 3 Ronin witch is awesome) Blister

The Convict Gunslinger blister

[...]

2. If you want a heavy Melee list then look at Telor she has a great hammer that will sort out any issues you may have that can be solved with a hammer.

3. If you want someone a little more intresting in the same melee feild there is Misaki, she has a load of good fighting melee base spells and some sweet ablities, she is not as striat forward as Telor but she is just as good.

Well, what about the following as a starter:

Viktorias

Ronin

Taelor

Misaki

That would give me a pure female party, something I always wanted to do. I just can´t decide betwen that and a Perdita crew for a starter list.

ZK

Vik's are natural killers. They are monsters in cc, so use them like that. I have to add that Vik's are going to beat everyone in areas where Malifaux is starting (not many gamers and not many experience with Malifaux), and they are great for switching from some system to Malifaux, as their goal is clear: kill everything that is moving and isn't your friend.

Storywise, Viktoria is famous merc on Earth, called so she can get rid of some unnatural entity. She carries with her a magic weapon, old demon sword called Masamune Nihonto. When she was in Malifaux, she confronted Pandora (Neverborn) and the demon who was in the sword saved her. Demon took her look, so now there are two Vik's.

Sorry for thread hijacking, but I really ask myself the same questions like the OP and there is no reason to open two of the sme threads:

Well, what about the following as a starter:

Viktorias

Ronin

Taelor

Misaki

That would give me a pure female party, something I always wanted to do. I just can´t decide betwen that and a Perdita crew for a starter list.

ZK

That is exactly what I did, and don't regret that at all. That crew is just great and can do wonders on the melee side of the moon. It's only backdraw if the fact that only Taelor can take a beating and still keep fighting, as all the others are plain glasshammers.

Adding Hamelin to that list will allow you to get some really needed crowd control on the table, with some neat tricks. It is kind of expensive on soulstones tho.

The Convict Gunslinger is always welcomed, and do his job really well, something to consider.

From that, Freikorps will be a great addition to the crew, giving some nice ranged firepower. They are strong vs Wp heavy spells and effects, so really helpful when fighting Pandora, p.e.

As others said, many will argue about getting Bishop and Johan, as the first is really expensive and not a heavy hitter, and the other is similar to Taelor, but not as good, imo.

Anyway, as you can see, there are plenty of options to take with the Vikkies, but most are from costy to expensive, so you won't be able to field many at the same time. This will change somewhat with the Desperate Mercenary, but not much if you ask me.

Vik's are natural killers. They are monsters in cc, so use them like that. I have to add that Vik's are going to beat everyone in areas where Malifaux is starting (not many gamers and not many experience with Malifaux), and they are great for switching from some system to Malifaux, as their goal is clear: kill everything that is moving and isn't your friend.

Storywise, Viktoria is famous merc on Earth, called so she can get rid of some unnatural entity. She carries with her a magic weapon, old demon sword called Masamune Nihonto. When she was in Malifaux, she confronted Pandora (Neverborn) and the demon who was in the sword saved her. Demon took her look, so now there are two Vik's.

Actually:

The second Vik is a DoppleGanger that Pandora brought to replace Vik, but the sword Masaumune "Freed" the DoppleGanger from the influence of Pandora/Neverborn/Malifaux or something, and decided to tag along. There may have been some Nephlim present not sure?

I did what most people on here are recommending; I started off buying the Viks + Ronin + Gunslinger; and while it is a very solid 25 ss list and a good one to get to grips with the basics of the game, I have since gone on to seperately purchase the contents of the starter set anyway...

If you can afford too, I would go for the starter set + a box of Ronin, as that will give you plenty of options to mess around with. Also Johan and Bishop are much better than people give credit for.