Saying hello and confust!

RTGamer

Hello folks,

I have moved to the black hole of gaming (Durango, CO) and I want to pick a game I will really enjoy painting and I can take to a con or 2 or to the nearest City to play...

So I have decided that Malifaux is my game.

I have a few questions:

1. Does everything work together from a faction (I know that some will work better than others but in general)?

2. Do I need both books or can I just get the newer 1?

3. How many models does the Battlefoam bag hold?

4. Can I cross faction with any models?

5. How expensive is it to play an average game?

6. How big is the average game?

7. How hard is it to learn the rules? I have played other games before, dice based.

I want to order something this week so I can paint and not be bored stiff over the next week.

Any info would be great.

Thanks and will see you around on these forums!

RTGamer

Hello folks,

I have moved to the black hole of gaming (Durango, CO) and I want to pick a game I will really enjoy painting and I can take to a con or 2 or to the nearest City to play...

So I have decided that Malifaux is my game.

I have a few questions:

1. Does everything work together from a faction (I know that some will work better than others but in general)?

2. Do I need both books or can I just get the newer 1?

3. How many models does the Battlefoam bag hold?

4. Can I cross faction with any models?

5. How expensive is it to play an average game?

6. How big is the average game?

7. How hard is it to learn the rules? I have played other games before, dice based.

I want to order something this week so I can paint and not be bored stiff over the next week.

Any info would be great.

Thanks and will see you around on these forums!

RTGamer

1. For the most part yes, however some masters have restrictions (Kirai) and the Outcasts are each really their own thing.

2. You need the first book to learn the basics, the second book expands the story and gives more options for encounters. You'll want both, but to start book one is the place.

3. Review here.

4. Depends on the master.

5./6. A box set will get you started and comes in close enough to play a 25 stone game. In my area 35 stones seems to be the norm.

7. Pretty easy, especially if you've played war games in the past. Just take your time as each model has it's own learning curve. You're best bet is to pick up book 1, a faction deck and the crew box (or two) that catches your eye.

Thanks for the quick reply. I cannot wait to get into this game some of the models are amazing.

Looking at getting the Viktorias and either the start with some neverborn or the dancers... damn why does the rest of the arcanists not entice me!

Off to read your Battlefoam bag review.

Which Masters interest you?

Out of the Book 1 Masters

In general the Outcasts as said are all seperate,

Leviticus is wierd and needs quite a lot of models and has strange restrictions on what he can take, a lot of it cross factional

Som'er is not to bad but can only take Pigs and Gremlins

Viktoria is not bad as a starting Master, she's hard hitting and here minions are very elite so you don't need many models.

The Guild are all fairly good for beginners, they are tough and you don't need many models. Quite easy to get the hang of

Perdita is ranged

Lady Justice is close combat

Sonnia Cridd is Magic

Neverborn have some great models and you can mix a bit more than with a lot of the factions.

Lilith is your combat Master, works best with lots of Nephilim, you will probably will have to boost the starter as her minions can grow up into new forms when they eat enough blood.

Pandora is a strong Master takes a bit of learning to get the hang of her, deals with attacking your opponent's minds. Works OK out of the box, possibly add a doppelganger

Zorianda works with anything you put with her, she is about control. Her starter box is OK. You will need to add a Voodoo Doll.

The Ressurectionist generally need a lot of extra models to get working as they are summoners. Of the three Seamus is the cheapest to get started with as he's a bit more in their face and generally only summons to refill lost models.

Archanists in general work well out of the box

Ramos is a turret master, he bunkers down creates spiders and buffs his minions

Rasputina is a caster.

Marcus needs a couple of extra models to work out of the box as his protegee can shape change so you need a model to change it into.

Edited by Ratty

The Masters I like the look of are:

The Dreamer, Collette and the Goblin Perdita.

From Book one:

Perdita, Viktorias and Lilith.

Guess I really need to get my hands on both books and read through. I have glanced through the 1st book and was impressed. Is the second book just as good?

Also what is the deal with the mounted guy is he a Master?

Thansk again for the info. Books will be ordered tonight despite the fact that it will take a week to get to me minimum :violin: I am excited.

@jmp_mydog just read through your blog thingy. Impressive. Will give you a PM once I have models finished to discuss the felt technique! Wonderful stuff and excellent models!

The Masters I like the look of are:

The Dreamer, Collette and the Goblin Perdita.

From Book one:

Perdita, Viktorias and Lilith.

Guess I really need to get my hands on both books and read through. I have glanced through the 1st book and was impressed. Is the second book just as good?

Also what is the deal with the mounted guy is he a Master?

The Dreamer and Collette are a bit more complicated to play that the Book 1 Masters.

For the Dreamer the box set + a clam of Day Dreams will get you started pretty well.

Collette has the issue that her mechanical doves are not available yet so you will need to find something to proxy for them, I think most people seem to be using cake decorations.

Orphellia (Goblin Perdita) is very cool. As she is a Henchman you can play Som'er Teeth with her backing him up in the same crew, which is also probably slightly easier to play and gives you more options and pigs. Or just her on her own with no pigs... PIGS are cool.

Perdita is solid out of the box and one of the easiest masters to get the hang of.

Viktoria is also very solid out of the box.

Lilith has the issue that each of her Terror Tots can become a Young Nephelim and then a Mature Nephilim so you will probably need to beef up the box.

Thansk again for the info. Books will be ordered tonight despite the fact that it will take a week to get to me minimum :violin: I am excited.

@jmp_mydog just read through your blog thingy. Impressive. Will give you a PM once I have models finished to discuss the felt technique! Wonderful stuff and excellent models!

Thanks! Doing the felt is easy, Michael's sells self-adhesive felt that you can cut with a compass cutter to stick right to the bottom of the bases (if you're not using resin bases you need to fill the empty space with greenstuff or cheap epoxy putty).