Diary of the Dead

Ratty

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratty, you really never cease to amaze me. These are fantastic! The bases are awesome. I especially love the sewer grating.

Great job! Now finish Seamus... I've been putting off actually doing Seamus because I want him to look good, and I need inspiration. ;)

Also, I realize you've got your own site, but would you consider putting your pics up in a Tabletop Geeks gallery as well? Trying to make sure Malifaux is well represented in our directory ( http://directory.tabletopgeeks.com/?game=Malifaux ), and I think these would really leave a good impression. :)

Finished working on Seamus, In the end I decided to go with the colour scheme from the Original Artwork of him. I don't think I've seen him painted up in this scheme anywhere. One of the interesting things about the box art is it has light sourcing in it, so I did my best to match the direction of the light and it's strength.

Seamus1F.jpg

Seamus1B.jpg

And a picture of the crew as it currently stands.

SeamusCrew.jpg

The tall blades are not static grass they are little clumps which I cut to size.

I got a containter of Green and Yellow ones. but Army Painter now does 3 different colours. I think this is the closest to the ones I use

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/army-painter/army_painter_scenics/10114

but these could be the ones

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/10157?keyword=jungle%20tuft&category_id=1104

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Finished working on Seamus, In the end I decided to go with the colour scheme from the Original Artwork of him. I don't think I've seen him painted up in this scheme anywhere. One of the interesting things about the box art is it has light sourcing in it, so I did my best to match the direction of the light and it's strength.

Seamus1F.jpg

Seamus1B.jpg

And a picture of the crew as it currently stands.

SeamusCrew.jpg

Very nice! I also painted my Seamus following the original artwork, thinking I was being original... look like you got there a month before me! My crew is shaping up a lot like this, minus the hanged and Jack Daw, plus Bete Noir and Canine Remains for delivery.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished working on a pair of Necropunks. I'll have to look at better ways of getting photos as these aren't amazingly sharp.

necropunks.jpg

necropunksb.jpg

If your wondering where the last Necropunk is he had a bit of a er... accident. I was having issues with the paint on the tip of the claw chipping as I was working so I gave it a coat of Gloss Varnish. After that to take of the sheen I gave it a coat of anti-shine. The Varnish sprayed on white due to the temp or the humidity or something. I've had this happen before and sometimes you can get rid of it by respraying and redissolving the white, unfortunately it didn't work 100% and the amount of varnish I had to put on to get it redissolve meant that paint started coming off in sloughs. In the end all I really could do was dump it in a jar of brake fluid to remove all the paint. The only positive thing was that the base was fine, so I have a painted base for when I repaint him next week. To be honest these things happen and it wouldn't have annoyed me as much if I hadn't been wanting to sit back and paint him. anyhow, started work on my doppleganger, which is coming out rather nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working on 5 models simultaneously, this means that it is easier for me to do a running commentary on how I'm painting them (I don't have to take photos as often as I'm painting them all at a quarter the speed (Yes I know I'm painting 5, but it's going to take less time as I can batch so it's wouldn't be 1/5 of the time.)

WIP-Necropunk.jpg

So what have I done with the Necropunk, (other than paint it, have the model mess up because of varnish and then strip it) Basically I've sprayed it black, and then painted the area with base colours. Brown Sand Vj for the flesh, Ochre Brown Vj for the bone, medium grey for the wrappings, Chocolat Brown Vj for the belt and claws. Vermin Brown GW for the hood and Shadow Grey GW for the trousers. It's quite important to be very precise with this layer and get a good smooth coverage, this is the base colours I will work off.

WIPCGun.jpg

The Gunslinger is a tiny bit further on. Before starting the base colours I wet brushed the weapons with Tin Bitz GW (like dry brushing but with more paint on your brush). Then I drybushed with Brazen Brass GW and then Chainmail GW. This gave me a base colour for the metal. Then I base coated the skin with Brown Sand Vj again, the leather with Chocolat brown Vj and the trousers with Shadow Grey GW. I have also done the next stage on the skin, washed it with Ogryn Flesh GW and then re-coated with Brown Sand Vj leaving a small amount of the wash showing in the recesses.

The next stage is to gradually build up the skin tone. The way I do this is start with Brown Sand Vj and gradually add more and more Pale Sand Vj to it. I work with very thin coats onto the raised area of the flesh wet blending them into the the base colour, each coat slightly paler and highlighting slightly less of the model until the final coats are just on the top edge of the muscles. I then washed Gryphonne Sepia GW into the crevices in the flesh. I then added a few more thin highlights to bring up the top of the muscles again. finally I painted a very fine line of Brown Ink ex-GW to mark out the lines between the arms and the body and under the shoulder blades.

For the tatoos I mixed some Black Vj, Brown Sand Vj and Leviathan Purple GW and painted it on with a fine brush. The trick is to roll the brush at an angle to get a good tip and load the paint into the brush. Any mistakes I paint back with Brown Sand Vj.

For the Scars and Nipples, I painted a thinned down coat of Scab Red over the scar. I then picked up the scar by mixing Brown Sand Vj and Brown Rose Vj and then a very fine line with some Iraquian Sand Vj in he mix.

The hair is Iraquian Sand Vj with white mixed into the highlight.

WIPCGunSkin.jpg