Soda pop Mage from dungeon explore

AntiZombie

Well, I appreciate the compliment, but I don't feel like I've finished anything too impressive in a LONG time. I've been working on a dragon that has been turning out pretty nice imo. However, I wanted to finish it for the Halloween painting competition here, but it didn't get done (my fault too...was just too lazy about it).

I'd like to post some progress pics of it, but I also have wanted to possibly submit it in a competition once I DO get done with it. Posting in progress pics of it would sorta screw me on that.

Don't sell yourself short, I've been impressed with the quality I've seen you put into these SDE minis.

And because I'm a schmuck who changes his mind too easily...here are some pics of my dungeon pieces created so far with Hirst Arts for my SDE modular dungeon. And guess what...it has pics of the in-process dragon, blowing my chances of using it in any future contest :(. Oh well, I guess I'll have to paint something else if I want to compete in the future.

Assembled1.jpg

Assembled2.jpg

Assembled3.jpg

Assembled4.jpg

Assembled5.jpg

Assembled6.jpg

Assembled7.jpg

Assembled8.jpg

I have a lot more halls and rooms to make, but this is what is assembled so far. I plan to go vertical as well, creating stairs leading to higher floors to really give the dungeon some dimension. I still need to make some "T" hallway pieces, as well as some 4-way intersections, but other than that, I will probably focus on more rooms. I plan to have circular rooms, long mead-hall style rooms, and anything else that tickles my fancy.

Edited by thetang22

Is there any word on when the rules for Super Dungeon Explore are due?

The last announcement from Soda Pop that I've seen was from the official Facebook page in the thread about the promo figs. It said (On October 28):

"We're putting the finishing touches on them now. It shouldn't be too much longer."

It's always tough to gauge a comment like that, relatively speaking. Plus, SDE is my first experience with Soda Pop, so I really don't know what to expect from them them.

Speaking of not knowing what to expect from them:

I made my order for some of the promo figs the night they were put on the store hoping to have a quick turnaround on delivery. Pretty much any order I've ever put in for minis from any company has been delivered within a week. When a week went by with no delivery I checked for a record of shipment. I had to get in touch with Soda Pop to find out it hadn't even been shipped yet (order was still "pending"). I was told they ran out of bases and were waiting for a new shipment to come in before they shipped out the minis. I guess that can happen, but seems sorta strange that bases getting THAT low would be allowed to happen, especially right after posting a new popular product to the store that required those bases.

Well, its been 10 days, and my Soda Pop account still says the order is pending, and that it hasn't been shipped yet. That's a bit discouraging. However...I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it. I really am excited about the minis and the game, but I want to feel confident that Soda Pop can handle this new venture professionally and in a timely manner.

Edited by thetang22

AntiZombie-IronscaleandChest.jpg

I really like the treasure chests they used in their demos like the one you have here. I don't know if they have plans to release those as well. I assume they probably will with the full release gameboard that came out. Regardless, it looks like the sort of piece that would be achieved easily with some green stuff. I think I may attempt that next time I get the sculpting tools out.

There was also mention of potions? Was they some sort of promo model for a potion for use in game as well? I know potions and hearts are included in the gameplay, I just didn't know if there were minis for the potions.

This isn't new (and it isn't mine either), but while I am in the habit of posting fan-painted versions of the various minis, here is a sample of the elf archer found on CMON:

img4c9cf130af7fe.jpg

Again *** not mine, just a nice sample.

NOpe there isnt a model for the potions. Its just on the card. The only other model that is there besides the heros and bad guys is the pylon ( just a crystal looking thingy) i didnt get one of those cause i opted for the treasure chest.

go here and you can see one of the demo cards:

http://throneofangels.blogspot.com/2010/09/super-dungeon-explore-dwarf-hero.html

scroll down and youll see the card. The arrow on the upper left is how many spaces you can move. And the numbers with colors are the dice you roll (2 blue 1 read you roll 2 blue dice and one red die) and the dwarf here has 3 actions he can do ( attack or special on the card. FOr the demo what you od is roll the dice vs bad guys and add the stars you get, then the badguy rolls if he has armor, and if you exceed his rolled stars you do one damage ( most bad guys have only one hit point).

NOpe there isnt a model for the potions. Its just on the card. The only other model that is there besides the heros and bad guys is the pylon ( just a crystal looking thingy) i didnt get one of those cause i opted for the treasure chest.

I know that Soda Pop , when contacted by our LGS, stated that one or the other of the Chest/Crystal, would be available for purchase, and the other was only going to be available at events and demos.

I believe they said the crystal was the demo/event only piece. Don't hold my feet to the fire on which it was...

go here and you can see one of the demo cards:

http://throneofangels.blogspot.com/2010/09/super-dungeon-explore-dwarf-hero.html

scroll down and youll see the card. The arrow on the upper left is how many spaces you can move. And the numbers with colors are the dice you roll (2 blue 1 read you roll 2 blue dice and one red die) and the dwarf here has 3 actions he can do ( attack or special on the card. FOr the demo what you od is roll the dice vs bad guys and add the stars you get, then the badguy rolls if he has armor, and if you exceed his rolled stars you do one damage ( most bad guys have only one hit point).

Its funny you mention that link. I 1/2-way think that card was allowed to be shown because of a post I made in the dragonpainting.net thread in which I analyzed a pic that showed a lot of the Dwarf card. I actually got most of the information correct in my analysis:

*** by no means is the info written here official.

This is my analysis of the Dwarf Fighter card as seen in one of the previous pics, as well as some possible assumptions on what certain things may be or mean.

----------

Upper Left Corner:

Dwarf Fighter - character name

hero - character type (as opposed to being a monster I suppose...I thought I saw something about minions in another post or forum)

Upper Right:

Arrow with a 6 in it - I assume this is the movement stat

Right side:

Att (2 blue, 1 red) - attack

Arm (2 red) - armor/defense

Will (2 blue) - uhh...Will, which I assume is a stat related to magic as usual

Dex (2 blue) - Dexterity, I don't know if this would be related to ranged attacking maybe

Action? 3 - I think the word says action. I guess this is the number of actions per turn

Middle:

6 hearts - I can't imagine this is anything but health

Words under gems - I think these are probably passive traits. It looks like maybe 4 words, with only 1 of them obvious - knockdown. On the 2nd line, it looks like the last word might be "poison"

Bottom (in the parchment): these look like active abilities that you probably use action points for

(1) Dwarven Curse: Range 6, Taunt (1) - I guess this is a provoke style ability

(1) Cleave: Front Arc - maybe an offensive ability

Black Potion symbol - Liquid Courage - Any single attack is applied to the Dwarf Fighter as though he was the target of the attack instead

Bottom Right:

Big blue potion under the gem - not sure if there are any words or numbers under the gem to signify some value or ability

----------

That's all I can derive from it based on that picture. I can see that in the "traits" section on the middle left, it looks like the first line starts with an "I" and the second line starts with an "Im". I can't think of what the words would be right now though.

*** after relooking at them, the first words might both be "Immune" or "Immunity". In that case you might have something like: "Immune to Knockdown" and "Immune to Poison"

Then, as you can see in the stat card AngelicOne posted just a few days later, I was pretty close on most of my analysis ;)

Hero_Dwarf-Copy.jpg

By the way, I talked to one of the Soda Pop guys while I was at the CMON booth, and he let me know that the Super Dungeon rules were still a little ways out. The system they had was a rough start, but they're still early enough in development that anything could change.

Of course, they had tons of people playing it and the guys demoing were the guys in charge, so I'm sure they'll be keeping the things that people really seemed to like. And Super Dungeon Explore minis rock.

By the way, they're planning on releasing a rules set to go with their Anime inspired range first- I think the name for it was Relic Knight. Word is that that game is actually farther along in development and should be released soon.

Yeah...a lot of discussion about the rules release and other game going on at Dragonpainting. I'm still sticking with my guns that development of Relic Knights should go on the backburner until SDE is fully released. Of course I'm biased because I want SDE asap, but it makes sense from a business standpoint too.

Relic Knights is yet ANOTHER skirmish game being released into a very saturated market right now. Regardless of whether the models are great or the rules are fantastic...skirmish games are a dime a dozen lately.

Now, let's look at Super Dungeon Explore: It had a hugely popular response at Gencon. Probably most importantly: it is marketable to a much larger audience - namely FEMALES. It has incorporated influences (both visual and gameplay) from very nostalgic sources like old Nintendo games. Gameplay is supposedly very easy to pick up (meaning yet again - marketable to a larger audience). Its destined to be a boardgame, which usually translates to being more marketable to a larger crowd than our standard niche minis games. Lastly...its a pretty new and unique idea. Nobody has been trying to create something like this, or at least doing so with as much buzz as Soda Pop has been able to generate.

Everything about it points to Super Dungeon Explorer being much more marketable than Relic Knights....period.

Nothing against the other game, I just think it would be wise for them to invest their efforts into the more successful line. Then again, maybe they don't want to release it until Gencon 2011.

From everything I've heard so far, the blocky terrain you're referencing is strictly a demo board for Cons.

I don't know any details about the final plans, but I would imagine we should probably expect a much more traditional gameboard in the final release. They could implement some 3D terrain elements, but I'm not going to hold my breath...production costs would probably be through the roof if the 3D was anything beyond basic paper 3D stuff.

Honestly though, I'm not expecting any more than a standard flat gameboard. I would be more than happy to see them step it up a notch though.

Yes it will just be a board, I heard from a reliable source but don't know who. They mention that the demo rules or beta rules will go up soon and I beleive they stated a release of figs end of nov but I'm probably going on an older insider email I got a ways back.

But good news everybody aparentlythe slotta bases came is cause myorders have been shipped ( so yours should hav been too tang) till then I'll make up my own stats and us monpoc dice... Go final fantasy - I mean sde