Battle Brush Studios Commission Painting Log

Sigur

Hey there, this is my latest army commission - an Empire army from Averland (i.e. black-and-yellow guys who serve under a knifewielding nutcase).

Here's pictures of the first part of the army. The mainstray is yet to arrive.

army1.jpg

army2.jpg

And here's a picture of the testmini I did:

testchamp1.jpg

I don't paint these at top level of course. Hope you'll follow along as this army grows and help me with some feedback. :)

Apart from that, here's another little side project - six more characters from discworld:

group2.jpg

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, an update finally. I was pretty tied up with weekend stuff yesterday so didn't get much done then. Today I got more painting done.

wip2.jpg

wip1.jpg

To be honest, I never expected these state troops to have so many details on them. You absolutely don't seem them at first but these guys really have loads of of stuff on them. This slows down the progress immensely and they take longer than I planned.

This is the first time I work with the new State Troops. Here's a few observations:

.) Loads of details, as mentioned above. No head options. This is the main downer to me. Some of you may know that the Army I did in fall of 2010 was Space Wolves so maybe I'm a little spoilt in that regard though. As for the overall design, I see that they really wanted to go for a look that resembles late 30 years war soldiers. Some of them have no shoes, they have a very morbid touch and party are overloaded with (probably looted) stuff (knifes mostly). I'm okay with that but honestly, there is a serious lack of puffy arms and impressive trousers amongst their ranks. Not too fond of the new feather design they introduced with these minis. The faces range from okay to terrible. Kit options are very satisfying; everything's there.

.) The Volley Gun is a nice kit; nothing special. I liked the earlier designs better though.

.) The Outriders kit is very good. Head options, all weapon options there and some additional stuffs as well and the horses look very good. There was a positive surprise for me - eversince they were relased, I thought that the legs of the riders were molded onto the horses but they aren't. No idea how I made that up. So there's very nicely suited horses for 40k Roughriders.

So that's all the news for now. See you tomorrow (I think).

Update!

Finished Volley Gun:

volleygun1.jpg

Finished Halbardiers:

halbardiers1.jpg

WIP Mages (1 light, 1 fire, but I won't tell which is which):

mageswip1.jpg

Update! Mages finished:

mages1.jpg

(Just checking for the level of damage my perception has taken - What or who does the shot of the back of the hat of the light mage remind you of?)

WIP of the second fighty character guy:

wip3.jpg

Next step: putting together the rest of the minis, then paint everything. Simple, isn't it? :D

edit: Assembled 10 Handgunners and 20 Swordsmen. Goodnight!

Edited by Sigur

Update - just probably not as much as you'd think or I'd hoped to be able to present you with after almost a week so I threw in some pictures of off-topic filler stuff.

handgunners1.jpg

9 WIP greatswords (funny story - you can tell how numb-minded I was last week as I left one of the 10 guys in the priming box. The unit will be 20 men strong so I'll do them in the classic 9 - 11 steps):

gswip1.jpg

I recently found this little scenic base for cannons I acquired along with an empire army this summer and thought it would look nice if I put the Volley Gun on it:

sceniccannon1.jpg

On a completely unrelated note - look what I got here:

dnd.jpg

:-D When I recently went to my awesome LGS again, one of the guys at the counter held this into my face and jokingly said "You NEED this, right?". It's not like I'm known for being into terrible movies and even less into getting merchandise for terrible movies but for that price I got it. Simply as an entertaining piece and maybe it'll make a funny little present some time.

On a slightly more related note (but still far off topic): I played Death Angel last night; that Space Hulk card game by FFG. Played it with two friends of mine and we found it to be a very exciting and fun game. Not sure about the endless replayability of the thing as, depending on the number of players, it's almost always the same succession of rooms that is generated but it's pretty awesome to just play a cooperative game and for it being a card game, it conveys the feel of Space Hulk pretty well. It was always pretty cool to more or less see the guys I've been painting for months in action (albeit not the miniatures but more just the names).

So that's that. I'm aiming to finish the Greatswords and the Captain this weekend. After that, it's either more State Troops or some Cavalry.

Hey, a reply! Thanks. :) It's a very neat miniature. I have to admit that I enjoyed painting the other guy (the one with the huge mace) a little more but the captain with pistol and hammer is a very nice one as well.

So while I was waiting for votes to pile up on what to do next, I decided to lay the groundwork on these swordsmen:

swordsmen1.jpg

After getting a bit bored with black and yellow on these Averlanders, I thought I'd finally commence painting these guys:

2wip1.jpg

2wip2.jpg

(Still early WIP of course.)

Because pets always work in project logs, I decided to take some pictures of the most awesome dog in the world but she really hates having photos taken of her:

dog1.jpg

@kxizm: Hehe, me too. :D

Update! Despite your votes (Outriders would have won), I'm afraid I'll do the Swordsmen first. I don't do this to spite you but for practical reasons. Thing is, there are going to be a total of 10 Outriders now and I chose to do those together rather than splitting them up. I only got the five you saw earlier (assembled and primed) and the other five I'll get in the mail this week if everything goes according to plan.

So for now, it's swordmen. Trying to get State Troops out of the way:

swip2.jpg

swip1.jpg

The first ten (plus one Greatsword) are almost finished, the other 10 just got some base colours and the yellow and black parts finished. Hope you like them. C&Cwelcome as always!

After a little doodling around (or was it oodling?) I actually liked the very first draft for the first freehand banner and went for it. Here's how far I got for now:

bannerdraft1.jpg

This isn't too impressive as posting the finished thing of course but I thought you may like it and I didn't get much else painted today because I was on the road, visiting a modelling store sale, getting the finished Discworld minis to the customer and picking up new commission stuff (Detritus, Dibbler, the Maelstrom Games Chimera and a platoon of Death Korps of Krieg).

But first - Empire of course. ;)

@James: Thanks for the compliments. Very much appreciated.

Once more, an update:

swip6.jpg

I redid the faces a little, painted some teeth and eyes (to an extent. More recent plastic sculpts of human heads have very, very small eyes and overly exposed lower eyelids that make painting eyes a little superfluous, at least on these State Troops.) and added shields of course. The shield emblems aren't quite finished as you can see in the picture.

@kxizm: Thank you very much. :)

@Genetic: I'm working on getting commissions to do Malifaux minis as well due to their very individual style and fun motifs.

Little update on what happened today (apart from a bit more on the Swordsmen).

Outriders horses WIP

183416_md-.jpg

Knights horses WIP

183415_md-.jpg

10 more Greatwords WIP

183414_md-.jpg

I'm really trying to do as much as possible because these days i'm mostly motivated by panic because this monstrosity is leering at me day and night and I know that some time soon I won't be able to resist any more and get it out of its box. And once that happens, the Empire stuff is starting to get delayed...

183417_md-.jpg

On a completely or at least partially unrelated note,how much do you charge for commissions for Character models. I just started doing commissions and I have no clue what to charge so was hoping to get a rough idea from what you charge lol.

That really depends on how good you are. It also can vary quite a bit depending on the model. There are a bunch of painting service sites you can google for that vary in their skill level and some have basic prices listed on the site. Find one that's about your level and see what they charge.