Colette vs. Perdita (semi-narrative)

Tuesday

"Colette! Get down from there, have some respect." Colette was surveying the land from atop a stone tomb in what had once been some sort of mausoleum or memorial. She'd never really bothered with the proper name; it was little more than some half-crumbled walls and pillars, and whoever had used it was long gone anyway.

She turned her attention to Cassandra, who had spoken as she walked in, and jumped down to the stone floor, smiling. "Oh, they're long dead, dear, they don't care anymore."

Cassandra shook her head but couldn't help a smile at her friend. "In that case, just so you know, there's some people very much alive out there, around the well. I think it's the famous Ortegas."

"Famous by whose standards?" It was a weak retort (the correct answer being 'everybody's'), but Colette was just a bit too taken aback by this to use her wit to its full potential. The Ortega family numbered among the absolute last people she wanted to meet while out here on a job. She chewed her lip thoughtfully for a moment, then sighed and gave a shrug, moving to a pillar near the door. "Well then, we'll just have to let them know they're not welcome on this stretch of land. The route's too valuable to lose."

Cassandra raised an eyebrow. "With force?"

"They didn't have us plant all that dynamite for nothing, did they?"

---

Today, Jonas Albrecht and I played a Scrap with 21ss crews. It was partially a learning/experimentation game, since both of us are still figuring things out. For the sake of equality in soulstone count he decided not to use Francisco, making our lists:

Star Theatre Showgirls

Colette DuBois

Cassandra (9ss)

Performer/Mannequin #1 (6ss)

Performer/Mannequin #2 (6ss)

Strategy: Line in the Sand. Schemes: Frame for Murder (unannounced) and Stake a Claim (announced).

La Familia Ortega

Perdita Ortega

Nino Ortega (7ss)

Santiago Ortega (7ss)

Papa Loco (6ss)

Strategy: Claim Jump. Schemes: Bodyguard - Perdita (announced) and Raid! (unannounced).

The map chosen was Badlands, featuring a canyon with 2" walls running through the center. With our deployment layout, the five dynamite markers ran diagonally down the center line, and Jonas' claim jump marker (a 'well') was in one of the corner sections near the fourth dynamite marker.

Turn One! Ortega initiative.

Fairly inactive to start. Nino Ortega climbed a tall hill in their deployment zone and waited like the patient sniper he is.

Cassandra pushed toward the dynamite marker furthest from where action would likely end up, at the opposite end of the board from the Claim Jump Well.

Perdita ran for the claim, dragging Santiago and Papa Loco along with Companion (Family).

The two Showgirls (#1 and #2, since it helps me tell them apart) and their Mannequins each started for the other dynamite markers, and Colette hid in the ruins in my deployment zone whilst gathering her courage.

Turn Two! Ortega initiative.

A repeat of turn one. The Ortegas did Ortega stuff, namely pushing on toward the claim save Nino, who stayed on his hill.

#1 and Cassandra dealt admirably with the severe terrain in the canyon, slowly getting to the dynamite markers. Colette decided to go and actually be helpful, leaving the ruins and making it to the edge of the canyon before Reactivating and Illusionist-swapping with Iris. #2 and her Mannequin still headed toward the fourth dynamite marker, closest to the Claim Jump Well.

Turn Three! Ortega initiative. Again.

Nino made an attempt to shoot #1, but he's out of range by less than half an inch! He spent his other AP to move closer to the edge of his perch, nearly dangling off the rougher side of the hill.

Colette reached the other side of the canyon, but like Nino finds herself a hair's breadth away from her goal. Unlike him, however, she was unable to make it the short distance to her dynamite counter this turn.

#1 made it to her dynamite counter as well, her Mannequin getting into base contact with it but also having no AP left to light the damned thing.

#2 reached the fourth counter against all odds and armed it...

Only to have Perdita run up behind her and shoot her for three damage. She ended her activation by invoking Quick Draw.

Papa Loco took a brief detour to attack #1, but then Jonas remembered she was Irresistable, making it difficult for him to attack, and he got back on track with Santiago to help Perdita.

Turn Four! Ortega initiative. Yep.

Perdita uses Execute, targeting Mannequin #2. It succeeds, but her Armor and Object qualities mean the construct only takes one damage.

Colette activated next and Illusionist-swapped with the injured Performer #2, then Reactivated herself and used Disappearing Act to make Papa Loco.. disappear. (I was one tome short of getting Mannequin Replacement to trigger, much to my dismay come next turn.)

Nino took another shot at #1's Mannequin, triggering Trigger Happy for an additional hit and a total damage of two. A second attack is unsuccessful.

The Mannequin survived and hauled herself out of range of Nino, along with #1. Together, they reach the edge of the canyon nearest the others.

Santiago has to use both his AP to get LoS on Colette, and is unable to attack.

However, in the Closing Phase Papa Loco came back into play, and in my foolishness I placed him within 6" of #1 and her mannequin. Alas.

Turn Five! Showgirl initiative.

Colette activated first and Disappearing-Act'd Santiago, getting the three tomes necessary to trigger Replacement Mannequin, which brings back Mannequin #2 as Mannequin #3! Colette takes the opportunity to Reactivate and move out of range of Papa Loco.

Papa Loco's activation came next, and seeing no way to kill Colette or target #1, he used Take Ya With Me! twice, killing himself, Performer #1, and Mannequin #1. They would be missed.

Cassandra sped across the map, moving toward Nino while he stayed put on his hill.

#2 made her way toward Colette, and the newly-christened Mannequin #3 has no chance to act at all before Perdita cuts her down with three Peacebringer strikes. What a waste.

Turn Six! The Dramatic Finale! Showgirl cheat for initiative, Ortega cheat to take it back.

Nino turned and shot Cassandra twice as she reached the top of his hill, but she survived.

#2 ran for the last and most dangerous dynamite marker, only for Perdita to gun her down and activate Quick Draw.

Colette activated and tried to cast Discharge Soulstone on Nino, but this activated Perdita's Quick Draw and her shots rang true, nearly killing Colette and forcing her to use her Death-Defying ability to trade places with Cassandra, who sacrificed her life for her best friend. (It was very dramatic.)

Distraught, Colette tried to take revenge by using Discharge Soulstone again on Nino, but it just barely fails to kill him.

In the end, only Colette, Nino, and Perdita Ortega are left standing.

The Final Score!

On Jonas's side, 4 Victory Points for his Claim Jump strategy, 2 points for keeping Perdita alive and 1 point for Raid!, totalling 7.

On my side, 2 points for getting four of five dynamite markers armed, and 1 point for succeeding in Frame for Murder (getting Perdita to kill Mannequin #2 in my Grand Master Plan-- oil on her hands!), totalling 3.

ORTEGA WIN.

-----

In memory of Iris/#1, Delia/#2, and Cassandra, and the three Mannequins who gave their "lives" for the Cause.

Good report - thanks. Colette could always use more soulstones, but with no cheap Showgirls it can be hard at lower SS limits. Doves cost you 2SS to buy, but only 1SS to make in-game, and they are very effective at using Magician's Duel.

I told her this! I was all like, "Doooooves! Use a bottle top for em if you have to. Use your unpainted figures if you have to, but Doooooooves!". Especially since I was pretty sure they could have activated the last dynamite marker.

I told her this! I was all like, "Doooooves! Use a bottle top for em if you have to. Use your unpainted figures if you have to, but Doooooooves!". Especially since I was pretty sure they could have activated the last dynamite marker.

Well, now I have doves, boo boo boo. And I can't wait to use them in our next game.

And as for the Coryphee-- I was very sad not to have them with me, since I was completely sure they were in the box that I brought over to use. But oh well. Again, next time!

Colette activated and tried to cast Discharge Soulstone on Nino, but this activated Perdita's Quick Draw and her shots rang true, nearly killing Colette and forcing her to use her Death-Defying ability to trade places with Cassandra, who sacrificed her life for her best friend. (It was very dramatic.)

Don't forget, Soulstones can also be used for Damage Prevention Flips (usually the best choice) and for Colette's Slow to Die action she can do a Healing Flip. As long as she does not flip a Black Joker she will live. The Healing Flip is almost always going to be the better choice and will save you a Cassandra, Performer, or Coryphee in the future.

If you are going to be playing 21ss then I highly recommend Colette use Soulstone Infusion (using her Artificial Soulstone), Soulstone Manipulation (to create a real Soultone), 1 AP to do whatever with. 2nd Activation Soulstone Manipulation, Trick of the Hat (to create a Mechanical Dove), and 1 AP remaining in the second activation. This would give you a net gain of 1ss and 1 Mechanical Dove with 2 AP for moving into position, or something else.

Mechanical Doves really work their best in groups of 3 which is why I like to start with 2 hired from the beginning. See if you can agree on a 25ss game next time :)

Fear the Doves!

Huh, so... if you pull a black joker when trying to prevent damage, you still get your slow to die action specifically for Death Defying, right?

Actually, in most cases you're better off using Slow to Die for a Healing Flip, thus not needing to sacrifice a Showgirl. But if you absolutely have to get Colette out of trouble, then Death Defying is neat.

I was all like, "Doooooves! Use a bottle top for em if you have to. Use your unpainted figures if you have to, but Doooooooves!". Especially since I was pretty sure they could have activated the last dynamite marker.
In A Line in the Sand and Shared A Line in the Sand insignificant models (such as Mechanical Doves and Mannequins) may not interact with the Dynamite Markers.

Actually, in most cases you're better off using Slow to Die for a Healing Flip, thus not needing to sacrifice a Showgirl. But if you absolutely have to get Colette out of trouble, then Death Defying is neat.
Yep, the Healing Flip is usually the better option.

However, if I think Colette is going to die regardless of what I cheat and any Damage Prevention flips I prefer to cheat in a :tomes (even if it is lower) to activate A Blinding Flash, then do a Healing Flip as a Slow to Die action.

This is usually preferable to Death Defying, but sometimes you cheat first, then your opponent cheats fate and still smacks Colette upside the head in which case Death Defying is a good option to have.

Both Death Defying and a Blinding Flash require another Showgirl to be within 18". If you don't have any available Showgirls when Colette gets herself killed then a Healing Flip is your only (good) option for Slow to Die.

For more on using Colette and Showgirls you can read the Showgirl Tactica.

Edited by MrNybbles

Damn, I didn't even think of a healing or damage prevention flip. And that Mannequins were Insignificant models and therefore couldn't light a dynamite marker (I had one Link into base contact with one when the Showgirl couldn't make it far enough).

But this is what learning games are for.

And I love the Showgirl Tactica thread-- I just wish I'd found it before this game. For the future, though, I am informed!

Turn Six! The Dramatic Finale! Showgirl cheat for initiative, Ortega cheat to take it back.

Great narrative. Always love a battle report!

I wanted to ask about this part of the game, because I used to play this wrong and wonder if you did the same thing based off of the words used.

I used to treat initiative as a duel where the loser could cheat fate and then the other player could cheat if they wanted to. However, you can't actually cheat initiative. You can spend a soulstone to re-flip your initiative. So, at the cost of a soulstone, you can gamble to win initiative. If you did actually cheat fate (using your hand) rather than gamble with soulstones, I recommend taking a closer look at P. 43 of the rulebook, which covers initiative flips.

• 4 months later...